Diesel Fuel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One of the reported side effects of adding biodiesel is that it often loosens up deposits of accumulated gunk in the tank - yours and the filling station. That can and does clog fuel filters, though the problem should go away once the filters have been replaced a few times (thus cleaning out the gunk). And some bio-diesel may have larger molecules than petro diesel, or form collections of molecules, that do not readily pass thru filters.  Either of those may have been what Will's drivers were encountering. Using a higher micron filter lets some of the stuff through, so the filters don't clog as quickly, but runs the risk that a piece of dirt will get through and damage an injector. That may be low risk, but injectors are a very expensive repair.

5% biodiesel is probably little or no risk. 10% is 'maybe' and, from what I hear, up around 15-20% the reports of problems start to get high.

Happy this post continued and brought out the Bio issues.  While our F350 states B20, I'm not going to go out of our way to test this out if we don't need to, don't need to sit on the side of the road with the 5Ver attached and a plugged fuel filter.... That's for sure.

I use Stanadyne due to the fact I have a 01 and want more lube for the pump.  I buy it from Seattle injector service and "shoot the bull with the guy when I'm pickinhg up my next yearly supply.  He says a lot of their work comes from people using biodiesel, mostly the homemade type.  Newer injectors are not like the old.  The newer are a piece of workmanship that is very delicat.  I use a "Fass" system and always carry spare filters, you never know what you'll pick up.
P.S. And never had a problem in Mexicican fuel if anybody wonders.  But have had problems paying the right amount as Pemix guy tried to rip me off. 

This thread contains some excellent information. We have been staying in Kingman, AZ for the past week, and I have been eyeing a Circle K that has diesel posted at $4.01. That is significantly lower than the rest of the stations here. I started to fill the tank and realized the pump was very slow. I then moved to a pump on another island and it was also ridiculously slow. I was only able to pump less than 3 gallons in the two attempts. The gasoline pumps seemed to be pumping normally, so, I assumed it was not a power problem. Had I not been reading this this thread, I may have continued to fill my tank. Knowing now, that this slowness may have been the result of moisture or dirt clogging the pump filters, I drove over to the  Flying J and completed my fill-up. Better safe than sorry, and thanks for the excellent thread.
Partial quote from Foto-n-T
[font=]If you're pumping fuel into your tank and find that it's moving VERY slow, this is an indication that the on-pump filter is dirty/clogged, hang up the nozzle and move on to another station. If that fuel is contaminating the filter on their pumps you definitely don't want it in your tank.[/font]
[font=]Dave[/font]

Cummins approves of B20 Biodiesel on all ISC, ISL, X etc. engines certified to EPA 02 and later standards. The fuel must be made of a Blend from a from a BQ9000 Certified Marketer.
The B100 fuel used in the blend must be sourced from an Producer accredited to Q9000.

The only Biodiesel I ever purchased, or even seen in a station, was B5. In the Truckstop were I purchased the fuel it was the only fuel. It was either in the Oklahoma panhandle or northern Texas.

ken

Thanks for the additional information on bio.  I ran across it just south of Valdosta, GA.  The price wasn't but a few cents cheaper at that station than the other at the intersection and I didn't think much about it until I caught the words on the pump.  Very small print, but there.  Glad I saw it before I started pumping.  I usually make it point to look closely at the pump for the the ultra low sulfer sticker before sticking my card in the slot.  Guess I didn't have enough caffeine that morning.  Again, great thread.  Thanks!

What will these different kinds of diesel fuel do to a really old one like I have a 1992 Eagle.  I bought diesel here north of Houston yesterday for $3.89 a gallon, wonder if I got something I shouldn't have.  Wouldn't this old one have way less pollution stuff on it.  It doesn't smoke, just smells like diesel

Doesn't make any difference how old the vehicle is - the only legal diesel fuel for highway use is ULSD. And that has been the case for a couple years now.

Some older engines have suffered problems with the seals in the fuel lift pump (the pump that gets the fuel out of the tank and into the fuel lines), due to the different fuel characteristics. Various home remedies include adding a bit of ATF or bio-diesel to each tank to improve lubricity, while others use commercial diesel additives for the same thing. I have seen no evidence that any of this helps, but it probably doesn't harm anything either. The engine manufacturers universally say nothing is required to use ULSD in older engines, but they do admit that there have been some lift pump failures that are probably due to the change in fuel formula. Replacement lift umps come with a different type of seal material that supposedly will not soften when in contact with ULSD fuel.

I will try to remember to tell hubby about that, but he may already know it.

Back
Top Bottom