Diesel Motorhome for $16,900 1993

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Serrano4657

I saw this on ebay. A diesel class A 1993 Safari 31'  I would not buy a motorhome on ebay, but it did catch my eye. It sounds too cheap for the year and shape. I know diesel is expensive but $16,900. I paid $12,000 for my 1992 gaser.
Item number 230234399595. It did not reach the reserve.  :eek:

I'm not a Safari expert, but there are some here who are. I do lnow that Safari had some real quality problems during the 90's and you need an owner's input.

It is probably a Safari Kalahari 30 footer. There are a couple variants, but the NADA retail price range is $14,400-$17,500, so $16,900 is in the range, though higher than a private sales usually brings.

If it's a pusher, then it's probably one of those wretched Safari's.  Had one, so I know what I'm talking about.  The engine, transmission and suspension are grossly under rated, because the chassis manufacturers (there were several who supplied Safari for that model) overstated the specs of the chassis.

The transmission is likely an Allison FOUR speed automatic with a GM diesel that was used in pickups.  End result, was overheating, vaporizing the sump oil and boiling out the radiator.  On the road the vehicle would fishtail and weave due to inadequate suspension.

This vehicle seems overpriced by about $16, 800.

Now there is the facts based on experience.  We test drove a couple Safaris when shopping and they were the worst driving coaches we ever experienced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klausmichael
Back
Top Bottom