DIY awning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Depending on the zipperfoot, it may work, but there is one just for the boltrope.  Check eBay.  What machine do you have?

I'm not a huge fan of JoAnns.  They have decent selection and OK pricing, but really aren't tops when it comes to heavy fabric selection or value. I like that I can run down there at 4pm on a Saturday instead of placing an internet order when I need something NOW...but if I have time to plan the project, I am much happier with online specialty suppliers.

By the way, check out newtoto.com for some really awesome deals on some very high quality upholstery fabrics!!

Check out Seattle Textiles, Seattle Fabrics, Rose City Textile, or look up your local chandlery (sail shop) and ask around.

IMHO, for your $10-20/yd you can get better fabric from a different supplier than JoAnn (yes, even with the 40% off coupon!)

MT4Runner said:
By the way, check out newtoto.com for some really awesome deals on some very high quality upholstery fabrics!!

Check out Seattle Textiles, Seattle Fabrics, Rose City Textile, or look up your local chandlery (sail shop) and ask around.

IMHO, for your $10-20/yd you can get better fabric from a different supplier than JoAnn (yes, even with the 40% off coupon!)

Gosh, there's nothing I hate more than shopping for fabric........... ;D(insert heavy dose of sacrcasm lol)  I will totally be checking that out.  I went to Joanns yesterday and they only had one fabric that my husband and I could agree on.  It was also 20/yd and therefore it got put back on the shelf.  It was too rich for my frugal blood!!

PancakeBill said:
Depending on the zipperfoot, it may work, but there is one just for the boltrope.  Check eBay.  What machine do you have?

I have a brother that is heavy duty but my mom has a treadle Singer that will  sew through anything (concrete, steel, denim haha).  we did a leather project on it and a canvas tent repair.  That thing is a BEAST!!!!  I didnt know there was a specific foot other than a zipper foot.  where would i find that??

areallynicegirl said:
Gosh, there's nothing I hate more than shopping for fabric........... ;D(insert heavy dose of sacrcasm lol)  I will totally be checking that out.  I went to Joanns yesterday and they only had one fabric that my husband and I could agree on.  It was also 20/yd and therefore it got put back on the shelf.  It was too rich for my frugal blood!!

I like sewing, but hate shopping for fabric.  Try being a man in a fabric store.  Is this how women feel going into an auto parts store?  OK, I feel your pain.

"What kind of project are you working on?"

"You probably wouldn't believe me if I told you!"

Well I have developed a plan and now I am just waiting for payday to implement it!!!  I think I may have to use a tarp to begin with because the fabric might be a little too much for right now.  I think I can do the frame for about $26 for the frame plus rope, which should be about 10 or less.  The other thing i was considering (again, as a temporary measure until I can buy real fabric) is a piece of painters canvas.  I know it wouldnt be waterproof, but it would look so much nicer than tarp i think and if for some reason it rains (doesnt happen much around here lol), I can take it down.  Anyways, hope everyone is having a great day.  Its gonna push 90 today here in the Treasure Valley. 

we liked the voltage as well, but could never afford the price that was asked when we were looking, but we did find this set up we could afford at the time ;D

Attachments

• TRUCK AND TRAILER.jpg
    TRUCK AND TRAILER.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 39
with the price of replacement awning fabric its hardly worth making it yourself, we looked into that for our 20' awning on the MH. It was less than 180.00 shipped. I would definitely shop for a used setup at the used place and buy new fabric, the only problem about buying a used awning set up would be attaching it to the camper if not sure where you would have good backing for the screw or lag bolts. The ease of rolling up and down will be worth it, opposed to a free standing canopy that will have a waterfall off of it if you plan on bringing it close up to the trailer while raining. It is nice stepping out the door under the awning while its raining. For the air I myself would try and cut it into the roof, the wiring will be the tough part through the ceiling. I do see some people placing the a/c in the front of the camper which is doable too. One could have a portable unit but they take up floor space an most of us don't have room to spare.

jeepoholic said:
we liked the voltage as well, but could never afford the price that was asked when we were looking, but we did find this set up we could afford at the time ;D
thats a nice one, 15 mpg?

Back
Top Bottom