Do we all agree with this definition of boondocking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Arbitrary words with arbitrary definitions...

Once upon a time..... I met my husband in a State Park on Memorial Day weekend in 1979. We spent the night under the sky, in a sleeping bag next to a fire. No tent. Just us and those darn overly friendly raccoons at Jonathan Dickinson State Park. Was that "camping" since we had no tent? Was it "boondocking" since back then, "boondocking simply meant "camping with out hookups or self-contained".

We bought a little cheap 3 man tent from K-Mart and went "camping" every weekend. We would roll into a nearby campground and then get dressed up to go out to restaurants and bars with our friends. I would get a lot of strange looks when I walked out of a campground bathhouse in spike heels and a fancy dance-party dress (it was the 70's after all). Were we still "camping"? After getting caught in a sudden deluge one evening (the tent was standing in 8 inches of water within minutes... we measured) and deciding that getting dressed laying down was getting old, we upgraded to a Sears Hillary cabin tent around Christmas '79. We "camped" in that, along with the dog, until 1987.

I had twins in 1986 and our first house burned down in 1987. We lost all our possessions except the camping gear along with a few other items that were packed into the barn to protect them from inquisitive little fingers. My in-laws came up to visit a week after the house had burned (we had moved into a one bedroom cabin my parents owned). My dear darling mother-in-law insisted that we stay with them at one of the local campgrounds that they had booked into. So we hauled out the camping gear and loaded the kids and the dog up and went to the campground. The kids were quite happy to play in the tent all afternoon. And then it got dark. And they freaked out in the tent. There was no consoling them. We took them home. My mother-in-law was pissed. Shortly after that we decided to build a new house on the same land that the one that was burned (it was on 2 acres bordered on two sides by the Nantahala NF over 15 miles from town and a couple of miles from the Appalachian Trail). We bought a well used solid sided Apache Roamer pop-up camper to give us a place to rest and occasionally spend the night while we were clearing the debris away. The kids loved it. We put up a little fence so the dog and the kids could wander around without us worrying about them wandering off or into the creek that ran thru our property. Was that "camping" or was it "boondocking"? Was it something else?

We used the popup camper from 1987 thru 2005 when I sold it. I had also repaired and remodeled that little pop-up several times over the years. The girls and I could set it up or take it down in less than 15 minutes. We learned to do it so fast because we used it at least every other week, year round. And it would often rain, sleet and/or snow while we were setting up or breaking down... sometimes both times. We stayed public parks. We usually had W/E hookups. Was that "camping", "boondocking" or something else?

We moved to nearby Seneca, SC one year. We spent almost 3 months in a local public campground while we tried to rent a house (a decent house would stay on the market about 2 days before it was rented). Was that "camping", "fulltiming" or something else?

Years later we lived in that popup for 18 months when we moved to the Chattanooga TN area. We mostly lived in Chester Frost County Park and Harrison Bay State Park (W/E hookups) until we got tired of bouncing back and forth in the wet winter at which point we moved into a private park. Was that "camping" or "fulltiming" or what?

In 2005 we got rid of our house (the 4th one), I sold the popup. We bought a vintage Class C and remodeled and repaired it. Then in 2006, I loaded up the dog and cat into the Class C, my husband loaded up his cargo trailer and we ran away from home, forever pissing off both my eldest twin because we "left home first" and my youngest twin because we took the dog and cat but left her in Franklin.

We've not lived in a house since then. We worked in construction in several states. We simply took our "mobile apartment" with us. When the bottom dropped out of building, my husband decided it was finally time to change careers. We parked at my Mom's house. He built a food cart and he vended for a few months in NC & GA while I worked front desk at a hotel before leaving to head out west. Is that still considered "fulltiming" because we weren't retired and moving every few nights? Or is there a new word for that?

I converted the bus that we had used as a moving van into a "residential vehicle" and we moved into it in 2010 after David suffered several heart attacks one weekend. Was that considered "fulltiming" since we lived in the bus and no place else? Even though we parked it in an RV park as a "permanent" location? Have you come up with a new word for it?

David passed away in 2014. I got rid of the food cart (it's rolling around on one of the Apache reservations as a storage cart) and continued working at a big box DIY place until I couldn't stand it any more. I acquired my youngest daughter and she, along with her skinny, overly anxious rescued dog, moved in with me. And we both worked. Is that considered "fulltiming" since we both work and live in an RV park? Are we "camping"? What is it called?

Arbitrary words with arbitrary definitions decided by people I don't know.

I camp. I camp in my "camper" bus in an RV Park. All the time. I think that makes me a "fulltime camper". I camp, along with my daughter in her slide in vintage Lance Truck Camper. It's a "truck camper". It is used as a rolling motel room as well as a "dog house" for when we take the dog to town with us so she can go to the dog park and stay in the "camper" while we go shopping. We do like having our own CLEAN bathroom and not have to worry about hypodermic needles all over the place. We also stay in campgrounds in the truck camper. Even stayed at my Mom's last year. Was that "camping" since we only had an extension cord run to the camper? Or was it "boondocking"? Maybe it was "Driveway Surfing" or some other made up word?

I also park overnight in parking lots because it's more convenient than trying to find a campground/RV park that will have rules that let me and mine in. All my stuff is only mine (no payments) and tends to be older or "vintage". More and more RV Parks don't want "vintage" they want shiny new and have decreed that any RV over 10yo is "junkers". I do wish they would get that across to the RV builders. Their product is worthless after 10 years. I also wish the people who sell their RVs that are over 10yo would put "junker" prices on them.

Arbitrary words with arbitrary definitions decided by people I don't know with no authority to define the words.

I will continue to stay in my bus or the truck camper and call it camping. I will continue to camp 24/7 and call it camping fulltime. I will continue to stay, self-contained, over night in parking lots and call it Overnight Boondocking. I really don't give a flying fig what "you" or "they" call it since I don't know most of the "yous" or "theys" online. And I will keep "myself to myself".

Have a nice whatever you/they call it.
That’s a long ass reply! You had me at spending the night in a sleeping bag. I didn’t read anymore in fear of ruining the thoughts in my head. 😎

Don't confuse boondocking with Overlanding, either. Overlanding is when you spend $70k on a vehicle so you can drive with a tent on your roof to your office parking garage.

I've also heard "van life" is offensive to those who purchased high-dollar RV's based on a Sprinter van.

My answer to if I boondock or dry camp or van life or "RV" or.... whatever, I do what I want!
Yeah, I also enjoy whateverdocking. :)

-Don- Reno, NV

Skookum, when I hear vanlife I think home or small shop conversion of a cargo van, delivery truck, etc. I do not think Class B / B+ motorhome from a major RV manufacturer. I make no judgement on cost or elitism, I just think for the most part you are dealing with two different cultures.

What Boondocking is Not fits quite well with the way that I have always thought of it. I think that part of it comes from the fact that I am old enough to remember when dry camping was a commonly used term for staying in parking lots or driveways and boondocks was usually use to mean far out away from society and so boondocking was then added to be camping there. I used to camp via a backpack and also on horseback and both of those we did in the boondocks but I can't remember ever hearing any of my fellow campers call that boondocking. I suspect that calling all dry camping by the term boondocking has come with RVers who are younger than I and who consider that anywhere that doesn't have rooms-service is roughing it. So far the term is not found in major dictionaries so it pretty much means whatever the person using the term considers it to mean. To me, there is a difference between boondocking and dry camping.

The site Boondockers Welcome defines it pretty much as I would.

The definition of boondocking is camping, in an RV, for free, outside of an established campground, without hookups or access to other amenities.​

Hmmm,
When I was a kid, we used to hike or canoe out into the Boondocks of Central Florida. That was Boondocking.

Later we did the same thing in the Okeefenokee, or up in the mountains of the Southern Appalachians.

That was always "Boondocking" whether we hiked , or Canoed, or rode Horses.
So, it doesn't matter much how you get there, or where you're gonna sleep.
But if there's city water or a Walmart nearby it probably ain't Boondocking.

boondocks (n.)​

"remote and wild place," 1910s, from Tagalog bundok "mountain." A word adopted by occupying American soldiers in the Philippines for "remote and wild place." It was reinforced or re-adopted during World War II. Hence, also boondockers "shoes suited for rough terrain," originally (1944) U.S. services slang word for field boots.

boondocks (n.)​

"remote and wild place," 1910s, from Tagalog bundok "mountain." A word adopted by occupying American soldiers in the Philippines for "remote and wild place." It was reinforced or re-adopted during World War II. Hence, also boondockers "shoes suited for rough terrain," originally (1944) U.S. services slang word for field boots.
In Vietnam, we called being out in the jungles & etc. as "the boonies".

-Don- Reno, NV

Growing up in Missouri "boonies" was a less common description than "woods".
Up here, anything remote is "the bush".

Are there REALLY any truly "remote" locations left anywhere? If you find a "remote" location, chances are someone else also found the same spot. Now there are 2 camped there. Are you REALLY remote now?

All that means is, you are probably camping without being connected to the "grid." I think ... THAT is the commonly accepted definition of "boondocking" that most of us are using.

If you are self-sufficient, have your own generator, solar power, water on board, and hold on to your black and grey water ... and NOT connected to anything on the "grid", then by this definition, you can be boondocking in the middle of New York City! Because really ... is there anywhere you can go that is truly "remote" any more?

Are there REALLY any truly "remote" locations left anywhere?
If you are boondocked near the unpaved road you went down and see nobody on it for more than three days, would that be considered "remote"? If so, I can name many remote locations within 100 miles from here.

-Don- Reno, NV

I don't recall ever having one while in the army.

But you can buy a Boonie hat here.

-Don- Reno, NV
Yea, I know.. I only wore it as a souvenir of my lovely times in Vietnam.... For me, it was helmet, no hat or the boonie while over there... Once I lost the original, I had no desire to replace it...
Butch

We've had this "what does boondocking mean" debate a dozen times in this group's 30 year history and the semantic arguments never change. We have a term that has morphed beyond whatever its original English-language may have been, plus it has some contextual differences as well. One big one is that boondocking doesn't have to take place in the boondocks.

Most of the debate seems to be about degrees of purity, almost like a religious discussion. Are you still boondocking if you use a generator? Or have enough solar & battery to use an inverter as much as you like? What about a water source? And so on...

In any case, what most RVers understand when they hear the term is that there is no connection to an external power grid, aka "shore power". Anything else is optional and subject to individual interpretation.

Gary I would tend to feel that simply being in an RV off grid does not qualify as boondocking. In my mind boondocking requires being in some sort of isolated area, either alone or in a group. Dry camping in a parking lot, driveway, or even in an organized campground, is not boondocking, though it may be close.

For example, to draw a fine line dry camping in a forest service campground with gravel sites, and a pit toilet is not boon docking, however camping half a mile away from that campground on an improvised pull out on a forest service road is boon docking. It has nothing to do with if there is a fee or not for the campground, or access to the land, it has to do with the level of improvements and isolation from the next nearest improved camp site. I will admit this line can be gray, but not everything in life is clear cut.

Perhaps, but it does have to share a common definition when having conversations on message boards like this one.

You might consider leaving a positive review on rvservicereviews.com

Zuck and Musk should co-author a book: How To Run The Internet Into The Ground.

I liked the original concept of FB - a way for friends & family to keep in touch and share their happenings. But that doesn't put revenue into Meta's pocket, so it had to evolve to something else. America doesn't like subscription services much, so "free" (ad-supported) was the way they went, selling access to me as their product. Then came the political culture wars and seemingly everybody took to FB to tell the rest of us what is wrong with our lives or how others are seeking to destroy us. Now, if a friend does post something of mutual interest in our lives, chances are i will miss it in the constant proselytizing.

Perhaps, but it does have to share a common definition when having conversations on message boards like this one.
Why? Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. At least that is my opinion.

Looks like the multi-quote feature brought in quotes from a different thread. 🤣

Gary I would tend to feel that simply being in an RV off grid does not qualify as boondocking.
I wasn't arguing pro or con for that or any other definition. Just saying that I've had many hundreds of boondock-related conversations in my 25 years on this site and in the majority of those people understood the term to mean "no electric hook-up". And all those who thought it ought to be even more restrictive still agreed that no electric was a given. Thus my conclusion that that "no-electric" is the only thing you can assume when you hear somebody else use the term. You are entitled to your own opinion about what it should be, but remain aware that others very likely do not share your view. That means you should explain your definition if you use the term with an audience who is not already aware of it. Assuming anything else just confuses the entire conversation.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom