Do we all agree with this definition of boondocking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, this has definitely been a fun and interesting thread and topic to follow. I've enjoyed the comments immensely! And as a result of everyone's comments (which are all GREAT by the way)... I think there is finally an answer to the original poster's question:

Do we all agree with this definition of boondocking?​

The short answer is "No!" It's quite obvious we all do not agree with this defination!

There ya go! That settles it!

Gary, all I am saying is that it is helpful to have common terminology when people ask about things like Do you know any boondocking sites along my planned travel route? So that we know if they are asking for places to pull off and sleep for night in parking lots, or if they are asking about more remote dry camping options roughly along their route.

Gary, all I am saying is that it is helpful to have common terminology when people ask about things like Do you know any boondocking sites along my planned travel route? So that we know if they are asking for places to pull off and sleep for night in parking lots, or if they are asking about more remote dry camping options roughly along their route.
Agree. I ask for boondocking site recommendations, and I usually get parking lots. Nothing wrong with that, and I have spent a number of nights in parking lots, but it isn’t what I mean by boondocking. As long as we clarify our meaning, all is good.

Well, this has definitely been a fun and interesting thread and topic to follow.
It reminds me of a thread years ago on the Escapee forums that was debating the definition of what fulltiming is.

The difficulty with terms that have no hard definition is that it leaves confusion when people who define the terms differently use a term and do not define it but assume that we all know what they mean.

EDIT I should add that I find great humor in the aggressive way that some folks defend the definition of boondocking that they like.

Last edited:
It reminds me of a thread years ago on the Escapee forums that was debating the definition of what fulltiming is.

The difficulty with terms that have no hard definition is that it leaves confusion when people who define the terms differently use a term and do not define it but assume that we all know what they mean.

EDIT I should add that I find great humor in the aggressive way that some folks defend the definition of boondocking that they like.
I think I remember that thread, or one like it, Kirk. I think if anyone was trying to come up with a definitive definition of "fulltiming", like "boondocking", it would be something like "Whatever the one doing it thinks it is."

All they need to do is to ask me and then they have it settled ;).

It means the only house or houses you have available are all on wheels. If you own a place where you can return to that is not on wheels, then you're not a full-timer, even if you only return once in ten years.

If you're renting a house that you never live in, you can still be a fulltimer.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Friends of ours (prior forum members) sold their large house and spent 50% of the year in their coach and 50% of the year on their boat. Were they "fulltimers"?

It means the only house or houses you have available are all on wheels. If you own a place where you can return to that is not on wheels, then you're not a full-timer, even if you only return once in ten years.

-Don- Auburn, CA
Speaking of wheels, and definitions...

Is this a 5th wheel or a 7th wheel? :devilish:
maxresdefault-6.jpg

Last edited:

-Don- Auburn, CA
There are fulltimers like us that do own property with a house on it, or in our case a cottage shared with our daughters, that don't stay in them. We haven't slept in the cottage in several years now, although we do park our motorhome on the full hookup site next door at times. My definition of a fulltimer is when you say you're going "home", you mean your RV, not a sticks & bricks somewhere.

But my definition does not preclude owning a sticks & bricks somewhere.
Owning is fine. Remember I also said, "A place you can return to". IOW, if you own a house but rent it out, you can still be a full timer because you cannot live in a such house you're renting to others.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Owning is fine. Remember I also said, "A place you can return to". IOW, if you own a house but rent it out, you can still be a full timer because you cannot live in a such house you're renting to others.

-Don- Auburn, CA
Why does it have to be rented out? The house could just be sitting there empty, and it changes nothing. The fact that all fulltimers could hang up the keys and buy or rent a place to live at anytime doesn't change the fact that they're fulltimers until that time comes. Our cottage sits unused most of time, even when we're there. One or the other of our daughters will use it at times, but until we hang up the keys, we don't intend to live in it. As I said, "home" is our RV...

Why does it have to be rented out?
Because then it is not available for use by the full-timers.

The house could just be sitting there empty, and it changes nothing.
Sure it does. Then you can return to it at any time and live in it. So then you're not a full-timer. You have a place you can return to and use that is not on wheels.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom