Does Size Matter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChappyCrew

We have pulled a 40' 5th wheel for about 10 years (not yet retired so short week long socal  family trips mainly boondocking in the desert / river). As we get closer to retirement, we have decided a diesel pusher is what we want to travel in. Will a 45' keep us out of most campgrounds? should we stick with a 40' or less?

Whatever size RV you get, you'll always be able to find a place, you'll just look a little harder. I've seen some really big RVs in some tight places. Of course you'll have more restrictions than my 32' coach, but even I can't fit everywhere. I am planning to go to a state park next week and I'll have to take my camp trailer because they have a 25' limit.

Get what you want and you'll adapt, improvise, and overcome the size restrictions. 

We now have a 40' DP and it is very difficult to get a site big enough in our home state of Washington. But when we went south to Arizona there were plenty of "campgrounds" with large site. Of course most RV resorts are geared to accommodate 40' plus rigs of all styles.

I don't think you will find much difference in camping between a 40' coach and a 45' coach.

That said, we have places that we don't fit in our 40' that we used to go with our 30'.  Don't miss them now as we have found other campgrounds and have made adjustments to our travel.

Mike.

ChappyCrew said:
Will a 45' keep us out of most campgrounds?

Realistically, not most but some, and not always because the site is too short, but because of other impediments to parking without road rash.

As Mike noted, as you get larger you may give up some spots, but it also changes how you look for others.

For "campers" the length is more of an issue because you are geared to getting into state and national parks and enjoying being off the beaten path. For some of us fulltimers, however, that is not our focus, as much as a nice location might be with amenities. It's just different strokes for different folks.

We miss some opportunities in some quaint places, but we like what we find otherwise.  8)

Kim

I see you are in CA, you might want to read this post in the Motorhome forum "40+ Foot California Motorhomes".  Dick nvrver

Back
Top Bottom