DonTom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you for the museum pics and other info. Valuable for anyone traveling in the area. Have a good journey to Texas.

Charles
I didn't leave White Rock until 1335 hrs. But when I did leave, I had full gas, propane and freshwater tank, and black and gray tanks dumped.

Roads to here have been great.

I am not sure where I will stop for the night, could even be where I am right now, as it will be dark soon.

-Don- Vaughn, NM

I decided to drive on and I am staying at the rest stop in Roswell, NM. I am the only vehicle and only person here in this rest stop, so I have the motorhome levelled with the sides out again.

The roads out here are not that busy, but almost half the cars I saw were white Teslas. Sure is a common car in NM.

I just had some BBQ pork ribs for dinner.

-Don- Roswell, NM

There's a Goddard exhibit at the museum there in Roswell. If it's still there, one of the displays is a homebrew rocket launch/control thing where the switches were J-38 hand keys. Nothing like the Bradbury place in Los Alamos but unless you're into UFO's your options are limited. RV parks on 380 both east and west of downtown, but not sure they offer much more than your rest stop other than hookups. You're soundly into oil patch country, not much around there but sun, dirt and refinery smell.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

@DonTom ,

I know you know this, but I just learned it this morning:

It's common knowledge that California is west of Nevada, considering that it's the westernmost coastline of the United States and Nevada is landlocked. What people don't always realize is that the city of Los Angeles, California is actually East of Reno, Nevada.
Los Angeles is actually a whole 86 miles east of Reno, which is crazy to think about when Nevada is around 300 miles from the Pacific Ocean. Don't let logic fool you when it comes to geography!
So not only is the world flat, it's also crooked - dang...

And of course the southernmost point in the USA is in Hawaii...
When ya pulling out?
That's what she said...

I decided to drive on and I am staying at the rest stop in Roswell, NM. I am the only vehicle and only person here in this rest stop, so I have the motorhome levelled with the sides out again.
Alone in Roswell - If we stop hearing from you we will assume alien abduction...

Are ya OKAY? Or did you have an experience last night?

And where did ya get the ribs?

Are ya OKAY? Or did you have an experience last night?

And where did ya get the ribs?
All is fine, I am still here, about ready to leave and be in Texas in a few hours.

Another RV and a truck snuck in here last night. I didn't even hear them come in. I noticed them this morning when I woke up.

The ribs were the refrigerated and cooked BBQ ribs from Smith's in White Rock. They have the BBQ sauce on them and are a bit messy. All I had to do is heat them in my MW oven here. I used the Genny for once and ran it for a while under loads of the heater, MW oven, my converters, etc. But that was just to exercise the genny which should be do ne once in a while. This morning, I used my inverter to heat up my breakfast and make my coffee. Another breakfast burrito. But this one was one of the refrigerated ones from Smith's. A lot better than any of the frozen ones. It was the "Uncured Bacon, potato, eggs & cheese" burrito.

-Don- Roswell, NM

We loved the Smiths in Los Alamos NM. It had a bar! We got our growlers filled for not a lot of money. 😁

We loved the Smiths in Los Alamos NM. It had a bar! We got our growlers filled for not a lot of money. 😁
The Smith's in Reno, NV is very large. The one in White Rock, NM is very small and didn't have nearly as much stuff.

I am now here.

Does everybody here know how to read the Spot messages correctly?

Where am I? Name of this place?

-Don-

Click the link and you show up. Pretty cool, kinda like APRS... :)

View attachment 168669

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Yep. The map is showing my exact RV slot. But I wonder if the others here know how to find what you found there from my Spot map.

BTW, the roads all the way here from northern NM were perfect, except for inside some of the towns where the road got bumpy. The roads here in Texas are extra nice to here, all are freshly repaved and very smooth.

I see what you mean by this being oil country. Also, the cheapest gas prices I have seen so far during this trip. $2.999 a gallon for 87 octane. About half the price that I am used to in Reno and Auburn.

-Don- Odessa, TX

But I wonder if the others here know how to find what you found there from my Spot map.
It's pretty simple, though I wouldn't have bothered if not for your question. But I forgot how to take a screenshot from that. Not important or I'd check it out again.

It's pretty simple,
Yep, but a lot of people don't realize the map can be scaled in and use a satellite (instead of road) view.

It's a handy item for when needing a tow or for an emergency. No need to mention the location.

I also have an inReach with me, for two-way communications when out of cell range. It also sends a map of my location with each message. A slightly different map.

I won't leave home without this stuff.

-Don- Odessa, TX

Dude - you're in northern NM and got burritos from Smith's? That's sacrilege. Next thing you'll be in TX and getting some of that picante sauce from New Jersey.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
LOL - I grew up in SoCal. As we all know there are regions of Mexican food and it is quite varied. I've love DonTom but have been biting my tongue on his "Mexican" breakfasts - LOL...

Here is just one of the outcomes when you let white folk make Mexican food.

1699022688971.png

Gee, you are only an hour behind me now.

Take some pictures of the campground.

How long will you be there?

I didn't realize Odessa has more than 100,000 people. Wow!

Should be able to find a good Beef Brisket somewhere there? Don't know.

Dude - you're in northern NM and got burritos from Smith's? That's sacrilege. Next thing you'll be in TX and getting some of that picante sauce from New Jersey.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Yeah, later I realized I should have gotten a bunch of those breakfast burritos from El Rigobertos in White Rock and just put them in my refrigerator. That way I could have tried them all.

But really, those little breakfast burritos from Smith's are not bad at all. Try one sometime. Such as the Home Chef Uncured Bacon, Potato, Egg & Cheese Burrito.

th

-Don- Odessa, TX

Gee, you are only an hour behind me now.

Take some pictures of the campground.

How long will you be there?

I didn't realize Odessa has more than 100,000 people. Wow!

Should be able to find a good Beef Brisket somewhere there? Don't know.
Yeah, this area (between Odessa and Midland) has quite a few people. Not too surprising, a lot of workers near here for your oil.

And I noticed this is an anti-EV place, perhaps because of it. You will not find all the free charge stations as I do in CA and NV. But the gas price here is cheap, around 3 bucks per gallon for 87.

This RV park is pretty full. I felt lucky they had a spot for me for a full week (My camera time is left on PST):
IMGP1773.JPGIMGP1774.JPGIMGP1775.JPGmy rv.JPG

This RV park is a bit dumpy, nothing fancy. But they had a spot for me for a full week. Also the cheapest full service RV park I have been in for years. 7 nights only cost me $288.00 or $41.14 per night, which includes the taxes and all.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macamiguin
Back
Top Bottom