Gel packs and airport security

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
We're leaving on a domestic flight for a trip to the MidWest. One of my medications is taken by injectable pen, and has to be kept refrigerated. For traveling by road, last year I purchased a very small fridge which worked quite well in a car (runs on 120V, 12V, or USB); I plugged into 120V in hotel rooms, and into 12V while on the road. Te fridge is not practical for a plane trip.

I also purchased a couple of different sized zip-up "gel packs", kept cold with gel inserts. I'm trying to figure out if the gel inserts will be allowed through airport security. I've checked a number of TSA/security related sites, and read some conflicting answers:
  • If the gel softens/melts, it's not allowed.
  • TSA has an exception for gel used for keeping meds cool, but it has to be declared to the TSA officer.
I suspect this will be an interpretation or discretionary issue, dependent on the individual TSA officer. Anyone flown domestically this year with similar gel packs?

TSA has an exception for gel used for keeping meds cool, but it has to be declared to the TSA officer.

Does that not answer your question?

This isn't a direct answer to your question but the workaround I used when I traveled with perishable medication (insulin in this case) was to use a ~16oz thermal water bottle (vacuum insulated type). The kind with a wide mouth you can unscrew. Those thermal bottles keep stuff cold a long time, literally days. As I traveled it was easy to source small amounts of ice to keep the contents cool, no messing around with gel packs at all. You can carry an empty bottle through TSA checkpoints, after that it's simple to use and maintain.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Does that not answer your question?
When I research, I find conflicting statements and reports. I also find that the rules are changing as we speak. I was hoping someone might have been able to quote from recent experience. I prefer not to find out at the airport.

When I research, I find conflicting statements and reports. I also find that the rules are changing as we speak. I was hoping someone might have been able to quote from recent experience. I prefer not to find out at the airport.
Have you gone to the TSA site and see if there is a way you can contact them to find out?

Call Icon

Call

(866) 289-9673

Automated information is available anytime in several languages. Representatives are available 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. ET weekdays; 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. weekends/holidays.

Maybe these people can direct you?

Tom, I recommend calling TSA at the number provided, asking them about the regulations, then carrying a copy of the regulation with you. If you get grief at a checkpoint, ask for a supervisor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all.

I've tried calling TSA and, after going around in circles with an automated menu, I listened to a list of foods I can take aboard. Also "we're experiencing high call volume, try our web site" and "send us an email and we'll respond in 48 hours".

I called the manufacturer and their specialty pharmacy, and have a backup plan.

Thanks all.

I've tried calling TSA and, after going around in circles with an automated menu, I listened to a list of foods I can take aboard. Also "we're experiencing high call volume, try our web site" and "send us an email and we'll respond in 48 hours.

Then why not email them and wait for a response then? That might even work in your favor because you might get a response you can print out and bring with you.

Thanks all.

I've tried calling TSA and, after going around in circles with an automated menu, I listened to a list of foods I can take aboard. Also "we're experiencing high call volume, try our web site" and "send us an email and we'll respond in 48 hours.

If nothing else, would the rules apply differently if you checked your bag? Not that I'd want to put an essential medication in a checked bag...that sounds like a potential recipe for disaster!

Thanks all.

If you had called at 3am they’d be experiencing a high call volume. The gig economy system is designed first to frustrate, then most will go away.

Then why not email them and wait for a response then? That might even work in your favor because you might get a response you can print out and bring with you.
I don't have 48 hours before our flight leaves ;)

I got that at irs.gov. they said to hold. my call got answered in 6 minutes and they were very helpful, I was Impressed. This was 3 weeks ago.
You were lucky. The only time I called the IRS I waited 90 minutes while I repeated my question numerous times and was transferred to someone else. I was eventually transferred to the first person I first spoke to.

This Must be an emergency flight. Good luck to you.
Thanks, but it's not an emergency flight. I just left it a bit late to research this. I'd assumed I could take the dose several days early, but when I called yesterday to confirm, I was told it was too soon.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom