Gel packs and airport security

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You were lucky. The only time I called the IRS I waited 90 minutes while I repeated my question numerous times and was transferred to someone else. I was eventually transferred to the first person I first spoke to.
That’s only because they aren’t good at it. The VA are the masters, after 90 minutes you accidentally get disconnected and you only have to start over.

That’s only because they aren’t good at it. The VA are the masters, after 90 minutes you accidentally get disconnected and you only have to start over.
Yep, when that disconnect crap happens, you need the patience of a saint, OR

A case of beer and nothing else to do on a rainy afternoon but wear them down and WIN!

I was disconnected, but only after I expressed frustration to the last (first) person that I couldn't get anyone to answer my question or do anything. Oh, and after she said "OK, I fixed it".

I called my CPA, and he decided to visit the local IRS office. There he was shown that the gal hadn't "fixed it", and I was still on the hook for a large IRS mistake. The guy did fix it, as witnessed by my CPA.

Tom, how far away from the airport are you. Can you go there and ask the question to maybe a supervisor

If nothing else, would the rules apply differently if you checked your bag? Not that I'd want to put an essential medication in a checked bag...that sounds like a potential recipe for disaster!
The rules are definitely different for checked bags v carry-on. But, apart from not wanting to check bags. I wouldn't risk that $$$$ pen and glass vial in carry-on.

Tom, how far away from the airport are you. Can you go there and ask the question to maybe a supervisor
Good suggestion Rene, but we're too far away (in the morning, we'll be taking 3.5 trains to get there).

Good suggestion Rene, but we're too far away (in the morning, we'll be taking 3.5 trains to get there).
Cool!

How long is this trip to the midwest going to take you, till all is said,
and cars, planes and automobiles are sat on?

Cool!

How long is this trip to the midwest going to take you, till all is said,
and cars, planes and automobiles are sat on?

While I was working I made countless trips to Asia in not much more time than tomorrow's journey. But it still beats the 5-day drives we've been used to for the last 10-15 years - while we had dogs and couldn't fly.

Sorry for your loss and hope you land safely tomorrow. Everyone will be thinking of you and listening for airplane crashes, as usual.
Bite your tongue. My daughter and son in law are flying to FL in 1 hour. Flight is 3-1/2 hours from Boston to Tampa.

Is everyone at their destination yet?
Not yet. Waiting for 2nd flight.

Thanks to knee surgery, I booked a wheelchair (saved a LOT of walking and standing in line), and we virtually flew through security in an 'express lane'. No more security today.

So are the Gel packs allowed now that you are flying?
They were in one of the carry-on bags and, when I went to remove them to display/declare, I was told "leave everything in your bags" (inc laptop and other electronics). So I don't really know the answer to your question 🤔

They were in one of the carry-on bags and, when I went to remove them to display/declare, I was told "leave everything in your bags" (inc laptop and other electronics). So I don't really know the answer to your question 🤔
I flew twice in 2022 - both times NY to FL. March 2022 had to take out electronics and separate them in their own bin. Sept 2022 had to leave them in.

I flew twice in 2022 - both times NY to FL. March 2022 had to take out electronics and separate them in their own bin. Sept 2022 had to leave them in.
A few days ago we applied for the TSA pre-check, making us both a Trusted passenger, which eliminates removing electronics, shoes, belts, etc. Haven't received our pre-check number (they said it could take 10 days) - because I didn't think of it sooner.

But all that was skipped thanks to the express lane. The only thing they seemed to focus on was my bill fold. Had to remove it from my hip pocket, they checked out the contents, and patted me in that pocket area. This was after I stood in the full body scanner, and I mentioned "metal in my knee"; Presumably, the bill fold and its contents blocked the image in that area. All done.

take out electronics ... leave them in.

Multiple trips last year to Orlando from ABQ. Same airports, same checkpoints, don't think I encountered the same take it out/leave it in/same bin/different bins on any of them even after just a week (I had multiple laptops). I would think they could reduce their own stress level just by having a notice to look at while you're standing there waiting to show your boarding pass instead of getting barked at coming up to the conveyor.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

take out electronics ... leave them in.

Multiple trips last year to Orlando from ABQ. Same airports, same checkpoints, don't think I encountered the same take it out/leave it in/same bin/different bins on any of them even after just a week (I had multiple laptops). I would think they could reduce their own stress level just by having a notice to look at while you're standing there waiting to show your boarding pass instead of getting barked at coming up to the conveyor.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Their web site says any electronics larger than a cell phone needs to be taken out

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom