Great job Reba

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I always love Reba singing, but must say Chris Stapleton nailed it best last year. As far as halftime, not my thing, but must say my wife started watching when a shirt came off. :ROFLMAO: The game became a game starting 4th qtr; I have a kid who lives in Chiefs territory, not sure if she likes them, Mahomes, or Taylor best :censored:

I missed it yesterday so I had to look it up. Barely got home in time for the opening kickoff. Gave me goosebumps to hear it sung in the traditional manner, without unnecessary flourishes.

Variety says Reba was "discovered" 50 years ago when she sang the Anthem at the National Finals Rodeo at age 19. From the article: “It means that I get to sing a very special song for all American people around the world who have really worked so hard for our freedom and to give us peace…. It’s not about me. I’m a representation of this song, and I’m just honored to get to sing it. It’s a good one. I’ve been doing it for 50 years and I’m really proud to get to sing it.”

Reba McEntire Lights Up Super Bowl With National Anthem, After 50 Years of Hailing Twilight’s Last Gleaming

I must admit that Whitney Houston's performance still sends shivers up/down my spine:

I thought most of it was really awful and sound quality poor. The game wasn't much better and I went to bed before the best bit.
You didn’t miss much, I was neutral but amused when Shanahan created a new definition for insanity. “ Let’s stop doing what was working in the 1st half and try something different, like opening the half throwing 6 straight passes while the leading rusher in the NFL watches”.

America the beautiful is a show tune written by Irving Berlin. I cringe every time they play it and people who don’t know any better stand at attention, place a hand over their heart or worse, salute, it’s not the National Anthem. Woody Guthrie wrote “This Land Is Your Land” as the poor and working man’s counter anthem to “America The Beautiful”.
Way off base. The lyrics were written by one person, the tune by another at a later time. The words and music only got married together at a later time, and the lyricist and composer never met.

A little history - a young Reba singing the National Anthem in 1975 at a rodeo in Oklahoma:

And for yet another version, here is Eric Whitacre’s version. The melody is traditional, but his harmonies are much more modern. One of the hardest pieces I have ever sung was by Eric Whitacre, but it was so beautiful the work was worth it. (Lux Aurumque if you are interested. Five or six part harmonies in the women’s voices, probably four or five part in men’s, but the piece shimmers with the harmonies.)

And for yet another version, here is Eric Whitacre’s version. The melody is traditional, but his harmonies are much more modern. One of the hardest pieces I have ever sung was by Eric Whitacre, but it was so beautiful the work was worth it. (Lux Aurumque if you are interested. Five or six part harmonies in the women’s voices, probably four or five part in men’s, but the piece shimmers with the harmonies.)

That one is special! Thanks for posting.

I was curious and watched it, but wasn't a big fan. Looked like Usher was trying to emulate Michael Jackson with his dance moves.
I said that exact thing to my wife. He looked like he was trying to do a Michael Jackson imitation.

Never cared much for the National Anthem. Not sure why we have to have one. But if we do maybe should be something like Garth Brooks “Friends In Low Places”.
I think every country has a National Anthem or something to the effect.

Interesting that this Superbowl was the most watched single event in America since the moon landing in '69. Just my opinion but I suspect it wasn't Patrick Mahomes, Kelci, or Usher that is responsible, but a 34 year old blond girl. Bob Costas' comments regarding the crowd attacking Taylor on social media was, "You might consider treading carefully here".

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom