Grey/black potable tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arkansas

Wondering if anyone has ideas for the potable tanks that you use to empty grey/black water besides those EXPENSIVE blue ones from RV places and Walmart.

Maybe an expensive gray one instead?
https://www.amazon.com/Thetford-40505-SmartTote-Wheel-Gallon/dp/B000P66C7Y/ref=sr_1_5

What size do you need, and would you be willing to pick it up and carry it (no wheels), like in the back of a truck?

Would a plain barrel with a lid do?
http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-11860/Drums/Plastic-Drum-with-Lid-30-Gallon-Open-Top-Blue

Expensive becomes a relative term if a cheapo solution fails halfway to the dump station!

What a difference a single letter makes. I know you meant "portable", at least I hope so! "Potable" means "Water that's safe for human consumption."  :eek: ;D

NY_Dutch said:
What a difference a single letter makes. I know you meant "portable", at least I hope so! "Potable" means "Water that's safe for human consumption."  :eek: ;D

Oh my! Yes to portable!

HappyWanderer said:
Expensive becomes a relative term if a cheapo solution fails halfway to the dump station!

That is true...I guess you get what you pay for.

And Gary, that is probably a little cheaper than I've seen.  I don't think I'd like the barrel.

Might want to check on Craigslist. I've seen a few on there, going for pretty cheap (like around $25), even here in Maine.  :)

Here is a site that shows how these folks handle their waste hauling. I use the same method and works great for me as I boondock most of the year.

The information is out there, all you have to do is let it in.

So you empty the grey and black water into a tank/container? I guess this is when you are getting full and there is no where to dump? What do you do with it then?

jjarman123 said:
So you empty the grey and black water into a tank/container? I guess this is when you are getting full and there is no where to dump? What do you do with it then?

Give it to your neighbors.  ;D :D ;)

If you're at a campground, there must be a dump station someplace.

jjarman123 said:

If you're staying somewhere for longer than a weekend your tanks usually fill up. And instead of taking down the camper and going to the dump station, you put on a container and take that to the dump station. A lot of campsites such as at lakes do not have sewage hook ups at each site. At least where we have camped.

Okay. That makes sense.  So these tanks are on wheels I suppose so you can roll them to the dump station and then they have a hose on them to dump them?

Yes. the larger portable tanks have a little draw bar handle that slips over a trailer hitch ball, so can be towed (slowly!). The tank usually has a short hose for conecting to the trailer outlet and it can be used for dumping too. You may find a slightly longer one, 4-5 ft to be more convenient, though. The dump station will have a rinse hose, but usually not a sewer connection hose.

Back
Top Bottom