High humidity - argh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I moved today from Davison to St. Clair (My memberships. How I pay less than 100 / month for parking).. Well dash air is out so I hit the generatort (i'm working on dash) IT's in the 80's out and humid but after about an hour and half on the road with both roof airs running and sldes in.  then a couple hours generator running and slides in sitting in the drive (Well a dump station so it was out of the way there are 3 dump stations and I only took one. nobody used the other two save a drive throughs (roads).  Finally the site opened and I'm in a shady site. it says 76 on top of the shelf in front of me (Likely cooler) I'm actually a bit chilly  But man this is the nicest this house has been in a while at this hour. Both A/C's workign fine 50 amp site (one A/C has been an issue but I installed a soft start on it yesterday and SUCCESS it seems.. Start cap is next on the hit list but urgency dropped)

Tomorrow should be noisy. Possibility I'll change sites tomorrow as there is a less shady site that will be very noisy but the noise wont' bother me.. and it's closer to the laundry.  But only if the park really needs THIS site..  Oh. and hoping I don't have to tow my car out of the mud tomorrow..

Some people are never happy, and I guess I'm one of them. My wife and I are thinking of moving from SW Florida because we are both tired of the humidity and allergies. The weather back home has been having the heat index run between 105 and 115 nearly every day for the last two weeks, while we are in Yellowstone complaining about 1) the highs for the day not getting over 69, 2) the lows getting into the 30's, and 3) the humidity so low, I'm getting nose bleeds every day. Like I said, never happy.

Local (Columbus) TV weatherman is now calling the humidity 'oppressive'. I could have told him that!

It's going to go above 100 (101) in Pahrump, NV today, the first time this season.  But it's a dry heat and the rocking motions from the Ridgecrest earthquakes only adds to the fun.

I was watching a live feed from Caltech when the 7.1 hit yesterday and the ground motion gets to us about 40 seconds before it hits Pasadena, after accounting for the streaming latency.  Nothing worth worrying about, no damage in town and the motion inside the trailer (with stabilizing jacks) is about the same as being hit by a large gust of wind or hitting a dip in the road.

Southeast MO here. Been really mild so far this year, only a couple times into the 90's so far and usual 90% humidity, hehe.

On the other hand....living in N Florida we?re used to the continuous heat, humidity and bugs. Don?t like them, just used to them. We took our first extended trip out west this spring covering 5000 plus miles from home, Texas Big Bend, Grand Canyon, the Big 5 Utah parks etc. Cool weather, dry, and no bugs. (We did have a good bit of rain and cross winds on the trip back home, but it was still cool!) We had a great time, but DW?s biggest complaint?  The static electricity!  It?s practically unheard of to get zapped at home, but boy could we build up a charge in only 10% humidity.  We?re looking forward to a return trip, but maybe with some different clothes and/or blankets. 

Patnsuzanne said:
On the other hand....living in N Florida we?re used to the continuous heat, humidity and bugs. Don?t like them, just used to them. We took our first extended trip out west this spring covering 5000 plus miles from home, Texas Big Bend, Grand Canyon, the Big 5 Utah parks etc. Cool weather, dry, and no bugs. (We did have a good bit of rain and cross winds on the trip back home, but it was still cool!) We had a great time, but DW?s biggest complaint?  The static electricity!  It?s practically unheard of to get zapped at home, but boy could we build up a charge in only 10% humidity.  We?re looking forward to a return trip, but maybe with some different clothes and/or blankets.
I love dry desert climates, but the static is a pain. I also have sinus trouble that is exacerbated by dryness. We actually run a small humidifier a lot when camping in the desert. My nose always thanks me.

Add a few mosquitos into the mix with that heat and humidity.  We're in Minnesota vising friends at their lake home.  Weather has been decent and the winds have kept the mosquitos at bay some of the time.  At other times, it's get the Deet out or spend the rest of the day scratching.  So we have the heat, humidity, periods of heavy rain and those nasty pests.  We're trying to avoid the ticks.  But the reason I left Minnesota more than 40 years ago, the extreme cold in February. 

So for all the California haters, there's a reason most international visitors come to California.  With all its craziness, you still can't beat the weather and for those of you who've only spend a few days or weeks in Cali, it's really a beautiful state.  Even with a big shaker every 15 to 20 years is better than those big winds they get on the East Coast every year or those tornadoes that frequent the midwest just as often.  So until we find a more forgiving climate with no weather concerns, we'll likely put up with the taxes, too many bodies, homeless and high gas prices. 

We are up here in the Black Hills and having unprecedented rain-high water-actually water everywhere-and humidity also!!!!  That was why we relocated from IA-NE to avoid that as well as the taxes!!!!!!!!

Anyway it has been high here also running as high as 90% at times.  At least we do not have the bugs!!!!!!

So looks to be NO escape this year from the elements.

If you're getting static electricity shocks, try holding a key or a coin in your fingers and use that to discharge the static electricity when you touch something.

The shock feeling comes from the sharp discharge between your fingertip and the other surface.  Holding something between your thumb and finger creates a larger contact area for the electrons to flow out of your hand so you don't feel it, just like you don't feel the charge building up.  You'll still see an arc from the coin to the other surface but you won't feel it.

In addition to Lou's comments, even using the back of your hand to touch something, instead of your fingers, will reduce the feel of the shock by a large margin, though it doesn't eliminate it. You soon develop habits to cope (and don't slide across a seat or shuffle your feet, especially on carpet).

I think I finally found someplace I can be happy. Next to Glacier NP, it's mid 70's with 20-40% humidity during the day. I love it. Yes, I have nosebleeds every day because of the lower humidity but this area is just great. In the summer, that is. Don't ask me to shovel snow in the winter when it's below zero.

Hi gang,

Just starting to warm up here nicely in the northern part of Indiana. We're in the upper 80's and 100% humidity. Don't have to take a shower just go outside and swish around in the air for a bit. Think the heat index is now at 100 to 105 region. I climbed up on the top of the RV today and trimed some branches so they don't hit the motorhome. Did a couple of other things and came down after about a half hour. Went inside and got a cold drink and took a towel and wiped the sweat off and stayed in front of the AC for a bit.

Stay cool Al. Heat index here in Columbus, OH was 107 today, and we stayed indoors in the a/c. Spent the last couple of days doing some hard graft outside with the help of youngest son. Had to quit after several hours both days, but got the job done (couldn't have done it alone).

For some weird reason humidity has no effect on me. I live in high humidity, high heat central Florida. This last weekend I took a jet to California and spent a week in low humidity, high heat and I really could not tell any difference. I never sweat.

Yippie for me, I get to help my college kid move out of her apartment today in Muncie Indiana.  Heat index should be 105 - 114.  If that kid went out last night and is not ready for me at 9:00am, the heat index might even go higher  ;) ;D ;D ;D

Back
Top Bottom