Is anyone living on land in Alabama?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can you park a skoolie in a piece of land you purchased in Alabama and live off grid? Thanks
I guess that would depend on where the piece of land is. If it was in downtown Birmingham, probably not. Maybe out in the country you may be able to. The only way to know is by contacting the local officials and ask if there are zoning laws in place prohibiting this.

I worked in Alabama years back, you could marry your sister and live in a Conex Container then, but even Alabama has been dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century. Local codes may require a back door in the Conex.

Some areas of Alabama are unzoned, so you could, but you may not be able to get utility services etc. Waste disposal could be a real problem.

Can you park a skoolie in a piece of land you purchased in Alabama and live off grid? Thanks
Depends what you mean by off grid and where the piece of land is located/zoned.

It would be a very rare piece of land that would not require at least septic service to dispose of black waste.

Other than that you have to check county by county for zoning rules.

It is usually pretty easy to get a "camping" permit meaning you can simply park an RV on it and boondock completely - but the issue is that you can't permanently occupy. Their assumption is you are hauling out the black waste.

An industrious person could with a little effort diy a septic tank and drain field. It's likely the county health dept. will be involved even in rural Alabama, however. Some areas get serious about perc. testing, especially near lakes, rivers and in lower elevations along the coast.

I've heard a lot of people in rural areas bury 2 perforated 55 gallon plastic barrels for a septic tank. They run grey water from the shower and washing machine out on top of the ground 100' away. Somewhat sanitary :( My stepson bought a place with that setup over 20 years ago and hasn't had any problems. It may not be legal but who is going to call the health dept. The neighbors have no idea and likely have the same setup.

I've heard a lot of people in rural areas bury 2 perforated 55 gallon plastic barrels for a septic tank. They run grey water from the shower and washing machine out on top of the ground 100' away. Somewhat sanitary :( My stepson bought a place with that setup over 20 years ago and hasn't had any problems. It may not be legal but who is going to call the health dept. The neighbors have no idea and likely have the same setup.
I guarantee that, although it may have been legal at one time, in the event of selling the place under current regulations it will definitely need something other than the "soaking in" method of waste disposal. And I live in a very rural part of a very rural state. Kind of relaxing to listen to the banjo music floating down from the hills at sunset. ;)

An industrious person could with a little effort diy a septic tank and drain field. It's likely the county health dept. will be involved even in rural Alabama, however. Some areas get serious about perc. testing, especially near lakes, rivers and in lower elevations along the coast.
Or where there is a large, shallow aquifer.

Here's how the Alaska natives do it. They've been living in harmony with nature for thousands of years.
Line a 5 gallon bucket with a plastic bag. When it gets full, tie a knot, put the bucket on your snowmachine/atv and drive to the dump at the edge of town (usually downwind of the village).8124961029_50843b4c65.jpg

For the OP: Bottom line is, no one can answer this question, but everyone can have fun making comments.

Bottom line is, you have to check with the local zoning regulation to really know what is acceptable or not.

Granted, you may be able to get around the rules, especially if you are remote enough (if such places still exist). You may go forward circumventing the rules and do your own "thing". Dig a hole for barrels, OK. Dump on the ground, OK. And you may get away with it, after all, .... who's looking?

But it takes only 1 person to notify the zoning commission in your area and then you are screwed! So, if you do it, do it right and be compliant so nothing will come back in a future date and bite you where the sun-don't-shine! (unless you are a nudist! and heck! You may just get away with it then!)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom