Is anyone living on land in Alabama?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've heard a lot of people in rural areas bury 2 perforated 55 gallon plastic barrels for a septic tank. They run grey water from the shower and washing machine out on top of the ground 100' away.
I guarantee that, although it may have been legal at one time, in the event of selling the place under current regulations it will definitely need something other than the "soaking in" method of waste disposal.
What TheBar describes is not all that unusual in our rural area which until fairly recently was dominated by Dairy. Most farmers "way back when" even had their own private dump, typically off behind a stone wall in a remote pasture for example.

Different story today of course but there's still many cesspools around this area. Many are actually grandfathered:
What is the difference between a cesspool and a septic tank?

A septic tank is a wastewater treatment system that separates solid waste from liquid waste and allows the liquid to flow out for further treatment or disposal. A cesspool is a pit or underground container that collects and stores untreated wastewater until it can be emptied and disposed of elsewhere.

Here's how the Alaska natives do it. They've been living in harmony with nature for thousands of years.
Line a 5 gallon bucket with a plastic bag. When it gets full, tie a knot, put the bucket on your snowmachine/atv and drive to the dump at the edge of town (usually downwind of the village).View attachment 165441
I'm thinking the local lake is catch and release.

Vermicomposting will take care of organic waste including humanure
Composting worms are miracle workers. They turn waste to clean growing gold. They can live a range of temperatures. Not super cold
Greywater can water the vegetation around your place.

I've heard a lot of people in rural areas bury 2 perforated 55 gallon plastic barrels for a septic tank. They run grey water from the shower and washing machine out on top of the ground 100' away. Somewhat sanitary :( My stepson bought a place with that setup over 20 years ago and hasn't had any problems. It may not be legal but who is going to call the health dept. The neighbors have no idea and likely have the same setup.
I bought my house in rural Arkansas around 29 years ago. I do mean rural...3/4 mile off the pavement down a 2-track trail, 17 miles from the nearest actual town. They had to pull out a system like this and put in an actual septic system before we could complete the purchase, even back then.

I bought my house in rural Arkansas around 29 years ago. I do mean rural...3/4 mile off the pavement down a 2-track trail, 17 miles from the nearest actual town. They had to pull out a system like this and put in an actual septic system before we could complete the purchase, even back then.
Was code enforcement blocking the purchase or the lender?

How much did it cost ?

No idea. Seller was a contractor who built the house during weekend trips from Dallas. Was told the septic system was temporary when we looked at the house and we had to wait for the installation before we could take possession.

How much did it cost ?
No direct cost to me, the seller took care of it, although I suspect the cost was probably figured into the price of the house.

Jefferson County MO, just south of STL requires a 3 acre minimum parcel, and perc test of course. I hear it's close to $30K for a septic system.

I'm sure it was both. The lender isn't going to finance the purchase until it is brought up to code. At which point an inspector had to be brought in, then a contractor.

I got an estimate for a septic system in rural Virginia; $12,000-$15,000.
Jefferson County MO, just south of STL requires a 3 acre minimum parcel, and perc test of course. I hear it's close to $30K for a septic system.
Those are in the ballpark, depending on how large of a leach filed is needed. And that is dependent on the perc test.

I installed my own septic here a few decades ago. Given the proximity to a stream that runs the length of the property I had to install the DBox & laterals a couple hundred feet from the 1,000 gallon septic tank. Also had to go that far to get a good perc. Cost to me was materials only.

Today? Hate to think about it. Regs & permits and multiple agencies involved would complicate things considerably to say the least. Some around here pay tens of thousands of $$$ to have a septic installed.

Are the any places with no regulations?
There might be but would you really want to live there? You don’t have to have a septic if you use a composting or incinerator toilet. A 5 gallon bucket with a toilet seat works too. Just use biodegradable bags in the bucket. For water if your land has a spring or a creek you can pump water into a cistern or a barrel. Power can be solar or a generator. Some folks use a large storage shed as a cabin. You just have to make sure the property you purchase is zoned for such stuff.

There might be but would you really want to live there? You don’t have to have a septic if you use a composting or incinerator toilet. A 5 gallon bucket with a toilet seat works too. Just use biodegradable bags in the bucket. For water if your land has a spring or a creek you can pump water into a cistern or a barrel. Power can be solar or a generator. Some folks use a large storage shed as a cabin. You just have to make sure the property you purchase is zoned for such stuff.

There are lots of ways to "sneakaboard" that may or may not be up to code. Again it really depends on the codes for the property type.

I could not get a building permit (for human occupancy) without a septic sign off from the county.

Know before you go...

I may have missed it but I haven't seen any mention of aerobic treatment systems. Although not approved everywhere these are a viable alternative where allowed. In this area usually only approved for a family of four or less. I live on top of a ridge where a leach field is not possible. 15 years ago the total cost was $3,000 including a 50' septic line to it. It is completely odorless unlike many percolation fields over time. The only maintenance has been replacing the air pump and cleaning it's filter every 6 months.

Are the any places with no regulations?
The reality of it is, no. You may buy a piece of raw property, and you may put an RV on it to live in it without telling anyone you're doing that. I can guarantee, however, that as soon as anyone with any government agency found out you were actually using it as your permanent domicile the paperwork would start flying and you would be the poorer for it than if you had just done it right the first time.

There is no cost in contacting the requisite agencies ahead of time and asking questions, though. I would start with the county environmental or health department and ask the question about septic system requirements.

TANSTAAFL (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)

Last edited:
Regulations generally happen because of some bad incidents. Water treatment separation from sewage was the result of awful epidemics of water borne diseases. Building regulations were the result of fires and collapses. There are really good reasons for just about all the regulations that are in place.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom