Is it safe to wrap foam insulation around a heat strip on your water line?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbbac1

Getting ready for the winter months and just want to make sure I'm not creating a fire hazard.

I really don't know the answer to your question, but why take the risk.  They make a fiberglass line wrap that certainly is safe.  The stuff I have used in the past has an aluminum coating on the outside and should be available at a Lowes or Home Depot.

We've done it for years....  Yes, the heat strip package warns about spiraling the heat tape around the hose, and also about covering it with insulation, but we haven't had any problems, and know lots of full-timers that must brave cold weather that do just that.

That being said, warnings are for a reason...  use my advice at your own risk, and remember it's worth about what you paid for it...

John

The heat tape I've used actually suggests that foam insulation be used to keep the heat in.  But it clearly says to not loop the heat tape over and around itself.  Don't let it touch itself and you will be following instructions.

I saw this method in use last year and bought everything to try it myself, but it turns out we're staying home over Thanksgiving and perhaps Christmas as well...may do a couple of nights boondocking but no campground camping, so no hook ups.  I have all of the stuff...

Thanks gang....I actually found a site that suggest the foam insulation and spiraling the tape around the line....However, they all warn to not let the tape touch itself when wrapping....Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom