Is there a way to prevent campfire smoke from coming into trailer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Graycat

We keep windows and vent closed, a/c off, and if someone has a campfire upwind, our trailer fills with the smell of smoke.  Is that fairly normal for trailers that aren't as airtight as a sticks & bricks, or are some worse than others?  Ours is a lightweight trailer.

This past weekend, we went to a state park, and all was well until the people upwind built a fire out of wet wood they gathered from around the campsite after it had been raining all day.

I like the smell of campfire smoke outside, especially if it is isn't a windy day, the wood is dry, and I am upwind just enjoying the heat and light smell in the air.  But when my eyes start burning and my sinuses feel like I've been snorting chili powder, I get a migrane and then need a smoke free retreat.

I don't know if the smoke was coming in through ill-fitting windows, thin walls, through the a/c or fridge vents, or all of that.  Any ideas how to plug the leaks?  We'd like to go camping again Thanksgiving weekend, but I was so miserable last night that I'm not sure I want to go to a state park again until the crowds thin out.

RV are not air tight most trailers or RV windows have weep holes at the bottom to allow condensation on the inside to drain. These weep holes also allow smoke or fumes inside the RV

Rene T said:
All part of camping. I'm sure you've had fires which has bothered your neighbors.

Nope.  Never had a fire while camping.  We have joined other people at their campfires when invited though.

quadrider said:
RV are not air tight most trailers or RV windows have weep holes at the bottom to allow condensation on the inside to drain. These weep holes also allow smoke or fumes inside the RV

That makes sense.  I thought of taking an air filter machine next time and see if that makes any difference.

I'm guessing that smoke particulates are what might be aggravating your sinuses.  If so, then perhaps a good quality filter mask such as for sawdust might help?  Smell would probably still get through?

I haven't tried this solution, yet, but probably will, soon.  I too hate being downwind of smoky fires.  Also, campers should not throw their waste plastics into the fire.  This causes some possibly noxious fumes!

TravelinOn, I've thought of that, but those can be annoying and itchy.  When the smoke was really bad the other night, I wrapped part of the top sheet around my mouth and nose and that helped.  It still hurt to breathe the next morning but at least didn't feel like my nose was on fire.

The solution for me, I think, is to find campgrounds inside city limits near the places we want to visit.  Most cities don't allow open burning.  Most of those parks have no trees, no view, and few amenities either.

I use Doctor's masks when dealing with dust or smoke. You can probably get them at your local pharmacy. They are not nearly as irritating to wear as the industrial dust masks and have an anti-bacterial additive that will fight off the occasional germ.

I am allergic to the smoke thus it's always interesting when I go camping.  Fortunantly I do not get migranes or anything like that.... I just feel like I have a hangover :(  I drink LOTS of water top help fliush my body

I would consider a small ozone unit, not a cheap one from wally world etc but a quality unit.  They can neutralize the odors

Have you tried running a few fans in your trailer and thus creating a positive air pressure situation, which might counteract the action of air being sucked in? 

Gord Nelson said:
Have you tried running a few fans in your trailer and thus creating a positive air pressure situation, which might counteract the action of air being sucked in? 

Sure, let the fans suck the smoke in :)

Gord Nelson said:

I did turn on a fan that night.  I thought it might help, but it didn't.  Kept me cooler though. ;)

How about checking the wind direction then trying to get a campsight that is on the end so no one could get upwind from you.....(Just a thought)  ::)

while i acknowledge a trailer full of campfire smoke can be rather annoying and stinky its one of those inherent risks of camping - short of staying in the driveway at home - or staying in some rather sterile campground in downtown yahooville - not getting smokey is almost like going swimming but not wanting to get wet, its really part and parcel its just one of those things  - what the hell do you expect when your in a campsite no fires? ps can i have a peanut butter sandwich sans the peanut butter, thanks

I think BigBob is right.  Camping means campfires.  Try to stay upwind and you may try to avoid most of the smoke.  Unless it is very very dry, most campgrounds allow campfires even in cities.

I don?t think you are going to find a perfect solution to your problem.  I have used a box fan with a 20?X20? furnace filter behind it to filter out cat hair and dandruff.  This has helped with G-kids allergies.
The box fans will not pull the air through the thicker filters so buy a cheaper one. Try to point the fan in the direction of the person that is affected by the smoke. Oreck has an air purifier, I found one on Amazon for about $150 but I would try the fan/filter combination before I tried the purifier. My friend has the Oreck is not happy with it. Good luck.

bigbob70 said:
How about checking the wind direction then trying to get a campsight that is on the end so no one could get upwind from you.....(Just a thought)  ::)

Winds do shift all the time.  :eek: ::) ;)

steveblonde said:
while i acknowledge a trailer full of campfire smoke can be rather annoying and stinky its one of those inherent risks of camping - short of staying in the driveway at home - or staying in some rather sterile campground in downtown yahooville - not getting smokey is almost like going swimming but not wanting to get wet, its really part and parcel its just one of those things  - what the hell do you expect when your in a campsite no fires? ps can i have a peanut butter sandwich sans the peanut butter, thanks
your way of thinking means my wife ans thousands others like her with asthma should stay home because some inconsiderate person decides
burn green wood.
  we try to stay at rv parks that don't allow individual camp fires but not always possible .thank goodness most people are considerate of others 

beaverfever said:
your way of thinking means my wife ans thousands others like her with asthma should stay home because some inconsiderate person decides
burn green wood.
  we try to stay at rv parks that don't allow individual camp fires but not always possible .thank goodness most people are considerate of others

What im saying is campfies and camping are sort of hand in hand and you cant control what others are doing -unfortunately  - so it becomes an inherant risk unless you want to run around a 600 campsite campground and police everyone any more than you can control which way the wind blows and if it rains making the wood wet , and here where you will have snow in a few days people like to have fires

beaverfever said:
burn green wood.
Unless you ask people around you, to please not have a campfire near you, because of your wife's condition, they won't know, and will probably have a campfire.
I know when I go camping, I enjoy a good cigar, and a glass or two of scotch, around a campfire, and if I didn't know of your wife's condition, that is exactly what I would do.
If however, you were to approach me, and explain to me that your wife has asthma, and you would appreciate my cooperation in not having a campfire, I would be most happy to either move campsites, or refrain from having a camp fire.
I would hope most people would act in a similar manner, but I know there are some that wouldn't.  In which case maybe the management could help you out, by either letting you move sites, or to have the other camper move.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoadSage
Back
Top Bottom