Itasca hydraulic pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rbates1944

I have a hydraulic pump that will not run even when supplied with 12 directly to the motor. My question is: Has anyone worked on the motor itself? I was wondering if thery are rebuildable to any extent. I contacted HWH but they have no motor information, but they do have a repacement motor. $224.

Welcome aboard!

Please edit your signature to include the year and model of your Itasca, or add it to your post.

I haven't heard of anybody around here rebuilding a pump motor, but if it can be disassembled, you might be able to scare up some parts (or not.)  There are shops that can rebuild motors, and you might have some luck if you can find a shop that does hydraulics.

A good automotive starter and alternator shop may be able to help you out.  Most of the 12V electro-hydraulic units just use a starter motor as the power source.  I used to rebuild the units from snow plows quite a bit.  Our local starter shop had all the parts on the shelf.

Just an info note I replaced the relay which is attached to the hyd pump by mean of a band clamp.I was able to search the hwh web site and find a parts list of my unit.this was on a 94/95 allegrobay motor home, I think the relay was some where around $50.00. If you elect to change the relay mark the wires carefully I did but one of the tags fell off and it took quite a while to sort out. stu

My electric motor just burned out. The company who made it is no longer a HWH supplier. A new motor had to be ordered along with a new hydraulic pump; as the new motor is not compatible with the old pump....*sigh*

Many of the hydraulic pumps are made by a company called Haldene. I'd have thought they or one of their distributors could have supplied you with a new motor.

I see this is an older post but hopefully I'm not to late to join the party...

My HWH motor quit working as well.  The last trip we made in November 2010 was the first sign of a problem. We went to retract the two slides and nothing. Tried several tricks (reverse operation - slides back out / tap on the motor did the trick)

Got the slides retracted and headed home. I took the coach to camper world and paid for them to tell me "can't find any thing wrong"    we put the coach in storage until the end of March.  Brought it home to dewinterize and clean up for a trip.  The slides extended but had to work on retracting. 

I pulled the motor off the pump - easy job.  I took it to a couple rebuilders and was met with resistance once I mentioned motorhome.  I ended up taking it to a trusty rebuilder in Denver. Once they disassembled the motor they found the grounds had burnt off and could not be repaired.  I ordered a new motor from them - a little cheaper than HWH.

Here is the good news  - for anyone having to do this job after me.  I took the number they sold me and searched e-bay - I found 10 available for $129  (same motor I paid $189 for)    If you need to replace your motor the number is "NEW MOTOR WESTERN W-8053 W-8504 08053 MONARCH 2590112"

I was instructed by the rebuilder to add an additional ground to the motor. He said this type of motor should ALWAYS have the extra ground or it will burn the internal grounds.  If you haven't replaced your motor then you might want to add that ground now before you burn it up.

DD, thanks for posting this info. as I"m sure it will come in handy. HWH uses quite a few different pump-motor combos so I'm thinking this will affect shaft lengths etc. Do you by chance know the HWH part number from your orig motor?
I could compare specs off your orig to mine to see if the replacement you have is compatible. I did find a quick ref. chart that HWH has on their website so I attached in case anyone needs it.

Attachments

• HWH Hyd Pump Quick Ref Guide quickrefpump.pdf
    37 KB · Views: 21
The original pump assm # is AP2260 which is discontinued.  The motor p/n is RAP90311
The chart you attached is a handy tool. I located the chart on HWH web site and looked for similar units that utilize the same motor.  HWH has a lot of good info listed on their site. I just downloaded the install and trouble shooting guide with wiring and hyd diagrams.

Thanks for your orig part numbers. That will make it easier to cross to see if mine is the same. HWH does have a lot of good info. I have also been downloading from Cat, FL and Winnebago for a month, just got my Itasca in Jan so still getting up to speed. I do pretty much everything myself and hate starting from scratch! Take care.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Mark
Back
Top Bottom