just getting started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EFBell351

Sorry for double posting this. I put it in the wrong place the first go around. Anyway, here goes

Were just getting started here. Got a nice 2008 Explorer for the tow rig. Has the 3/4 tow package installed, V6 4x4. Were looking into the larger size popups. Thinking about a flagstaff 625D.

Anyway, my first official question here is what exactly does the class 3-4 tow package consist of besides the 7 wire plug and the heavy receiver hitch?
Second, is there an electric trailer brake system installed as part of the tow package or is this an aftermarket item I need to buy?

Sorry, the information I'm looking for seems hard to come by on the web for some reason.

Thanks for the help!

You would need to look specifically at what's installed on your vehicle.  A Class III or Class IV hitch will look similar, but will be designated one or the other.  A class III should be more than sufficient for pulling even a large popup.  Most are rated to about 8000 lbs with weight distributing bars and 5000 lbs without.

You will need, at a minimum:  The receiver and tongue/ball setup, the 7 pin wiring, and a brake controller.  I don't know if any Explorer had a factory brake controller, and if not, you will need an aftermarket setup.  I strongly recommend a transmission cooler too, as towing builds enormous heat in automatic transmissions which will shorten their life if not dissipated properly.  I also recommend weight distributing bars and sway control of some sort.

That should get you pulling.  :)

I would get the vin and go to my local Ford dealer and find out how it is equipped.  Then from there I would look up the 2008 Trailer Life towing ratings online.  Then load your SUV up like you would be going camping and go to the scales.  Subtract your scaled weight from the GVWR and GAWR for your vehicle.  Now you have a good idea of how much you might be able to pull.  With a V6 and a relatively heavy SUV terrain will play a big part of the size of any trailer.  Personally I would not consider any but some of the smallest Tent Trailers for your SUV

Back
Top Bottom