Leveling jack warning light and alarm problem - help before I'm deaf!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

benmack1

I have a 97 pace arrow 36S.  It has hydraulic leveling jacks which are made by the HWH corp I believe (4 jack, electric over hydraulic operation).  I usually store the rig on the jacks so it is level for the fridge and doesn't flat spot my tires.  I try to drive it at least once a month to keep everything working.  The last couple times I have retracted the jacks, the 'jack's up' light doesn't go off on the controller and when I release the emergency brake an annoying red llight on the dash and beeping sound persists.  Usually this goes off after a minute or two once I move the rig, but is taking longer all the time to realize the jacks are retracted.  Yesterday, I made my normal 10 mile around the block trip and the darn thing stopped beeping when I pulled back into the driveway.  My son and were ready to go crazy with the sound.  Note before someone asks, the jacks are all the way up so there doesn't appear to be a mechanical problem of any type.  I assume this is an electrical sensor or contact that is corroded so does anyone have advice on where to start looking for this problem or is it something else I am not appreciating.

Thanks!

Are you sure it's HWH?  IIRC HWH uses magnetic sensors on each jack, this system tends not to fail (It can but it tends not to)

POWRE GEAR, on the other hand, uses a float switch in the hydraulic fluid tank.

If it gets cold the fluid level goes down, you need to top it off with the proper fluid

Now:  In either case, Retract the jacks....

Then go out and do a visual inspection to see if they have all retracted, if you have one that did not, That is your problem child

Extend and clean the piston

Check your hydraulic oil level.  We have an HWH system and once when our oil was low, we would get the buzzer alarm.  It's along story, but it had nothing to do with the HWH system.

Marsha~

What Marsha said!! :) Low fluid level will cause the alarm to sound. There should be a plug you can remove and check the level. Be sure to check your manual to verify what fluid you should use. Mine, which are power gear, uses Dexron III. Top off only with the jacks fully retracted!!!!

BenMack,
I have a '94 with an occasional similar problem.  In my case, the jacks control box (fully auto HWH) INDICATES which is the 'suspect' jack.  In one recent case, one of the rear jacks simply didn't retrack all the way - I reset the controller (power off/on), then hit STORE again and it went the rest of the way in.  In the other case, a rear jack sensor wasn't acting right.  It is mounted (in my case) on the TOP of the jack housing.  A bit tough to reach, but I just reached up, wiggled the wires a bit, cleaned and banged around in the area (taking care to not damage the wires as best I could).  I never actually SAW the sensor (can't see the top of the jack housing), but it did fix my alarm :).  It also happened once while DRIVING - I assume it was that same rear sensor - and it eventually stopped.  I did pull over and check to be sure, but not much else I could do at the time except aim for potholes and hope the jarring would reset it.  In a few miles, it did ... (fortunately, I'm already nearly deaf - but the DW isn't.  My danger was from HER!)  ;)
Steve

Correction, my jacks are power gear not HWH.  My bad, what an idiot!  I will check the fluid.  THanks for the advice.  I just assumed it was a sensor but maybe not.....  Thanks again!

benmack1 said:
Correction, my jacks are power gear not HWH.  My bad, what an idiot!  I will check the fluid.  THanks for the advice.  I just assumed it was a sensor but maybe not.....  Thanks again!

Some Power Gear jacks have a grease zerk on the lower end of the cylinder that is sometimes overlooked.  Note: Not all have this grease zerk.  However It is most likely low fluid level.  Be sure to check with jacks fully retracted.

So I went home last night and checked.  Definitely a power gear system.  I really feel stupid about listing the wrong style.  John was right on the money about what I had AND what the problem was likely caused by.  Anyway, checked the fluid and upon removal, wipedown and rechecking the level on the dipstick it was dry.  I don't think it is real low as the stick has fluid on the end when I first removed it (i guess from slosh).  Anyway, I can definitely see how the float switch is mounted and how this works now.  I will add some ATF to it and expect to be good to go.  Thanks much to everyone, you are very helpful and it is much appreciated!

Hey, I get one  right on occasion... As Ron said, Thanks for the feedback

As it happens.... I have the same problem being as I have the same sysem,, I just don't have a dip stick, I may have to "Fix" that by making my own.  (I have a weep hole in the end of the tank, you fill till it drips, of course, the screw is blocked so you can't remove it... Good design  :-\

Thanks for the question and also for the answer. I am having the very same problem and it is on my "to fix list" as soon as the snow goes away some. I was reading in the Power Gear troubleshooting manual and it suggest the same fix....add fluid. I'm hoping it is that simple. My problem started just about the time it started getting cold.

Thanks everyone,
Phil

I had the same problem shortly after I purchased my unit three/four years ago.  It was solved by the same folks with the same cure.  Thanks again Guys....  lou

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Mark
Back
Top Bottom