NJ gun laws?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RVMommaTo6

I can't be understanding this correctly, I'm seeing online that it's illegal in New Jersey to possess a gun bought outside of New Jersey? So if you're traveling through and not a NJ resident, you can't have your gun even if it's locked up or anything? Does anyone have experience with this?

This from Legal Heat:

All firearms transported into the State of New Jersey:
  • Shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gun box, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel, shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.
  • The firearm should not be directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm and ammunition must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console.

Yeah that's what I was seeing too on any official site. I can't find that law about only NJ bought guns being allowed in NJ  anywhere on any official site, but I've seen it mentioned a few times by people online, which I know is a weak source, but it got me a little concerned. I don't want to do anything illegal and I know ignorance isn't a valid defense.

If you are talking pistol no state honors New York's  pistol permit.

Robert K said:
If you are talking pistol no state honors New York's  pistol permit.
Oh yeah I should have clarified, not a handgun. As much as I would love to, carrying across country would be more of a headache than it's worth. But I will have a rifle in the motorhome in case of emergencies.

First hand;

NJ police willl confiscate any handgun/rifle if they know about under any pretense possible. You will get a receipt and be allowed to try to get your firearm back. The most direct route is up to the officers discretion. for example you must use the closest gas station to the interstate. You can have your gun seized for going 2 blocks further to get coffee from A good place rather than the gas station swill. YOU CAN NOT DEVIATE FROM A DIRECT ROUTE OR TAKE A SCENIC ROUTE OR EVEN STOP TO SITE SEE. Personally I avoid NJ if I have a firearm.

Once is enough

No..it's says you can deviate from the route...

But only in a  "Reasonably Necessary" way.  .....so, we just need a Supreme Court definition of that term.

(Keep in mind....being denied reasonable coffee/tea,  was the spark that set off our first government revolution.  :) )

RVMommaTo6 said:
Oh yeah I should have clarified, not a handgun. As much as I would love to, carrying across country would be more of a headache than it's worth. But I will have a rifle in the motorhome in case of emergencies.
You don't need to bring a rifle. I will be a good boy, I promise. :)

sightseers said:
No..it's says you can deviate from the route...

But only in a  "Reasonably Necessary" way.  .....so, we just need a Supreme Court definition of that term.

(Keep in mind....being denied reasonable coffee/tea,  was the spark that set off our first government revolution.  :) )

Or you pay a lawyer and the ransom  (civil penalty)and get your firearm returned

A short pump shotgun is the best home defense tool you could have....they're cheap and accuracy is not mandatory.

Usually... just the sound of racking a round is all that's ever needed.  :))

remember...    "When seconds count ! .... the police are only minutes away"    ;)

SeilerBird said:
Well I guess if I have your word, I'll leave it home lol

Darsben, sounds like you're speaking from experience. I know the chances of being "caught" with it are slim to none, but what a pain. I really hate NJ (not just because of this, I'm just not a fan for SOOO many reasons)

Sightseers, if there's any wiggle room to interpret the law, I'm going to assume it won't be interpreted in my favor.

Bruce, in NJ, if the motorhome is hooked up to electric and parked, it's considered a home, unless they don't feel like it. Otherwise it's an automobile.

I'm bringing my 30.06 just because I could take down anything on earth with it so bears and people and anything else aren't an issue. At home, I do use a pump action shotgun. I've never needed it for self defense, but I've pumped it when I get company in the middle of the night before. Love it. Best sound ever! That was actually my first gun.

SeilerBird said:

Take the rife...and a taser....and some pepper spray. ;D ;D ;D

Jokes aside...Take what you need to protect you and your family. Should you have a need to use said weapon you do risk it being held by law enforcement. But that's a better story than you needing protection and not having anything.

I have a fire extinguisher by the door as well. I'm not nervous about anything happening, I think the chances are slim to none, we've done a ton of camping and as much as I'm an over preparer, I don't scare easily. It's funny, but I'm way more scared of raccoons than bears or wolves or anything that's actually dangerous lol

Lol nope. But I'm serious, I've been feet away from bears and not been scared yet I see a raccoon in the distance and I'm inside in a heartbeat. I hope I don't get a verbal stoning for this, but one time I went in and left my big ol' roaring camp fire because a raccoon ran by me. I was way too scared to go back out and put the fire out.

I won't verbally stone you for a fear. I witnessed many people with totally illogical fears of heights that literally freaked out when they got within ten feet of the edge of the Grand Canyon. I mean shaking and almost to the point of tears. Fears are basically without logic but there is not much you can do about it. I went skydiving in the 80s. It was a tandem jump with an instructor. He bragged he had 5000 chute rides and he still hadn't conquered his fear of heights. He decided to take up skydiving because he thought he could conquer his fear of heights. But it did not work. He loves skydiving and is afraid of heights.

I'm not scared of heights, but I don't know if I could physically jump out of a plane. I think my mind wouldn't allow my body to take that leap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom