ok, sounds like I just bought more 5th wheel than my truck should handle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The advantage of adding the leaf is you are taking pressure off the bags. The bags are designed for 100 lbs, you are running 80 lbs, hit a bump you may hit a point the bags will hit 150 lbs or more in some cases 200 lbs +and blow out ive seen it many times.
Your axles rate is the same as a 3500 - in your case its the springs that are taking the load- legally your over but you know this,  if you blow a bag on the road your hooped, the spring is your cushion, regardless of what anyone says do the spring. Cheers steve

As long as you can keep sufficient weight on the steer axle you should be OK.  However, if the air bags fail while you're pulling that big 5er, you could have control issues.  Personally, I'd opt for another spring.  An added measure of safety that wouldn't break the bank. 

Springs and airbags do not replace the GRAWR capacity.  The make your truck ride level, but do not increase the capacity of your truck.

as stated earlier in this thread....... the only difference between a 2500 and a 3500 Chevy is the springs.

Don't think the real differences between the 2500 and 3500 are germane to the discussion.  I don't believe the OP is planning on buying a new truck.   

steveblonde said:
The advantage of adding the leaf is you are taking pressure off the bags. The bags are designed for 100 lbs, you are running 80 lbs, hit a bump you may hit a point the bags will hit 150 lbs or more in some cases 200 lbs +and blow out ive seen it many times.
Your axles rate is the same as a 3500 - in your case its the springs that are taking the load- legally your over but you know this,  if you blow a bag on the road your hooped, the spring is your cushion, regardless of what anyone says do the spring. Cheers steve

I'm planning to take the Raptor out about an hour from home next month, want to see how it feels on the road as is. My wife and I have discussed it, we are going to add the additional spring to the suspension. However everyone I've spoken to says that other than a Super Spring/Leaf, nothing is currently available for the truck (2013 Chevy 2500 Crew Cab 6' bed 4x4 Diesel). Do you know something otherwise?

I found a shop here in town that has been around since 1919, looks like they build custom suspension pieces and work on commercial vehicles. They say they can fix me up. http://www.thepruittcompany.com/

Price is higher than y'all were talking about, but at the same time, I don't want to be going down the road and have a failure without having some kind of back up system in place.

Thanks
Eddie

super springs DONT work with airbags but call these guys Standens in Indianapolis 1-800-851-2254 ask who they can refer you too where you are, they are based here in Calgary i have used them and so have a bunch of people i know - they are awesome folks

this is there website

http://www.standens.com/

I'm normally opposed to solving an overweight problem with air bags, but I think in this case it is a reasonable solution. I'm pretty sure the axle itself is adequate and the payload difference between the 2500 and 3500 is in the suspension. The remaining question in my mind is tire capacity. Can the existing tires handle the increased payload, which translates almost 100% to additional rear axle loading? At the very least, he will probably have to increase rear tire pressure (get close to the max load value).

Gary RV Roamer said:
I'm normally opposed to solving an overweight problem with air bags, but I think in this case it is a reasonable solution. I'm pretty sure the axle itself is adequate and the payload difference between the 2500 and 3500 is in the suspension. The remaining question in my mind is tire capacity. Can the existing tires handle the increased payload, which translates almost 100% to additional rear axle loading? At the very least, he will probably have to increase rear tire pressure (get close to the max load value).

The truck tires are E rated and I currently run them at 80lbs. Which is the recommended tire pressure from the manufacturer.

elm_tx said:
The truck tires are E rated and I currently run them at 80lbs. Which is the recommended tire pressure from the manufacturer.

You will have to look up the brand/size etc. on the manufacturers website and determine if they have a published chart for that purpose.

That means almost nothing, since you have far exceeded the manufacturer's max payload rating and truck GVWR. The tire load range does NOT relate to any particular capacity - the meaning of "E" vs "D" or "F" is dependent on the tire make & model.  Look at the sidewall for the DOT-required Max load specification, which will read something like " Max load xxxx lbs at yy psi". Or look in the tre manufacturers spec sheet and inflation tables for the max load and pressure required for a given weight.

for the most part 10ply tires that come with GM trucks are rated pretty high on the 2500 and 3500 series and they tend to be Goodyear Wranglers or the Michelin LTX ( either way they are great tires on dry pavement and suck in the snow) on the 2013 - 2500 you had 2 tires sizes 18in or 20inch, the 18s are a higher weight rating i believe as they are the same ones they put on the 3500 but Gary makes a valid point if you have the 20s check the rating

steveblonde said:
for the most part 10ply tires that come with GM trucks are rated pretty high on the 2500 and 3500 series and they tend to be Goodyear Wranglers or the Michelin LTX ( either way they are great tires on dry pavement and suck in the snow) on the 2013 - 2500 you had 2 tires sizes 18in or 20inch, the 18s are a higher weight rating i believe as they are the same ones they put on the 3500 but Gary makes a valid point if you have the 20s check the rating

I have the Michelin LTX 18" tires, rated at 3525# at 80psi. I think I understand that I'm putting ~3500# worth of weight on the hitch. With that said, after air bags, additional leaf in the springs, do I need to look at different tires? I'm thinking it won't take too many trips to wear these tires out, suggestions for the next set? Or are these up to the task in y'alls opinion?

As I've said before, a new truck is not an option anytime soon, however upgrades to beef this truck up are!!!!

Thanks
Eddie

I have used Hellwig helper springs on a 3/4 ton Ram I have when I was pulling a heavy 5ver.  Here is a link to their site, I preselected your model truck. 

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?zenid=9b89f297f73cc099ed2d15734cb01b2e&main_page=advanced_search_result&inc_subcat=1&categories_id=508&year_select=2013&make_select=616&model_select=8042&x=72&y=13

Those http://www.sdtrucksprings.com springs wont work with Airbags i believe please correct me if im wrong. the other issue is they are not adjustable on the fly like an air bag - BUT - they are durable and i believe the OP has Bags already

Yeah they do, I have air bags on the Ram as well as the springs. When I traded the fiver I pulled the springs off and sold them on Craigslist.

Back
Top Bottom