Older RV's Denied Access in Some RV Parks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BostonsMax

So...I somehow stumbled across a couple of articles that talked about some RV parks that deny access to any RV's that are older than 10 years because they are concerned about appearance, blah, blah, blah. How prevalent is this and have any of you experienced it?

Thanks!

Susan

There's a fair number of places that have that stipulation where we have stayed. It's been discussed here before,  but it is a way for parks to screen their clientele and/or justify their higher prices. Kind of a "no shoes, no shirt, no service" sort of thing.

A reasonable solution, if you are subject to the time requirement, is to communicate with the park, provide them some pictures, and see if they still think you would not meet their standard, albeit arbitrary. I have friends who have done that with their vintage or restored rigs without a problem.

At first blush, it might appear snooty or unfair, but I think a business owner has a right to establish a standard for the clientele he wants to serve, and as customers, we have the right to look elsewhere if we feel his policy is unfair or unreasonable.

I think your choices are probably pretty numerous, regardless.

Hello Susan:

This subject has come up a number of times -- you may want to type key words such as "age restriction" above in the forum Search Feature. For example, here is a similar thread:

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=44762.msg412208#msg412208

There are some of those parks out there. I find out they don't want me.......I don't want them. I only spend my money where I'm truly welcome, sight unseen.
J

Thanks for your replies. And thanks Bob. I put a disclaimer in my last post and should probably put it in all of my posts that I always do a "Search" BEFORE starting a New thread in this and all forums I'm on so as not to be annoying. :) I just didn't have the appropriate words apparently (I had words like "denied" "access" "older rv's", etc.) and that just didn't bring up what I was searching for, so my apologies. After searching for 30 minutes through the findings, I gave up!

Susan

How common is this? How many percent of camping parks have this kind of rule? How concerned do I need to be about bringing my new 94?

I sure would hate to drive a number of miles and hours just to find out they wont let me in LOL :(

How are they going to know your unit is older when you show up?  I suspect this is more of an appearance issue than genuine age.  In other words if your RV looks like trailer trash they don't want you.  Chances are if you participate in this forum you're not trailer trash.

Hmm, is the term trailer trash considered impolite or bigoted for this forum?

We just returned from a month long trip and stayed a several different campgrounds & RV parks.  I had reservations at several places prior to leaving but did call the day we expected to arrive at the 1 night places.

I can't remember which one now (it might have been Dakota Ridge in Golden, CO) but only one asked me the year & make of our MH.  I wondered then if it was to screen out the older units but then it went off the radar & I didn't think about it anymore till now.

and....  I just hate to see the "do a search" answer.  I've searched for various information and rarely find hits.  Posts & replies make a forum and if all one has to do is "search the library" why bother to post?

KarenS144 said:
We just returned from a month long trip and stayed a several different campgrounds & RV parks.  I had reservations at several places prior to leaving but did call the day we expected to arrive at the 1 night places.

I can't remember which one now (it might have been Dakota Ridge in Golden, CO) but only one asked me the year & make of our MH.  I wondered then if it was to screen out the older units but then it went off the radar & I didn't think about it anymore till now.

and....  I just hate to see the "do a search" answer.  I've searched for various information and rarely find hits.  Posts & replies make a forum and if all one has to do is "search the library" why bother to post?

Karen, good to know about the possibility of Dakota Ridge in Golden since we're not so far. We'll put that on our list of "call firsts" just in case.

And I agree. Maybe I'm just not that great at searching. If it's for something easy like "recipes" or "convection ovens" I do great, but something like this I had no luck. Posts & replies do make a forum!

Susan,

We have the 10 year rule where we live at The Great Outdoors in Florida. While I would not like to see a broken down rig parked near me I have yet to see that rule enforced. I'm not even sure if they actually check but I have no problem with any rig, no matter the age, as long as it looks good. I think most serious RVers care about their units and do the best they can to keep them looking good.

Jim Dick said:
Susan,

We have the 10 year rule where we live at The Great Outdoors in Florida. While I would not like to see a broken down rig parked near me I have yet to see that rule enforced. I'm not even sure if they actually check but I have no problem with any rig, no matter the age, as long as it looks good. I think most serious RVers care about their units and do the best they can to keep them looking good.

Thanks Jim. I think you're absolutely right...we do care. :)

I guess we have been lucky. During over 50 years camping in RV Parks I do not remember ever having a park person ask the age of our RV when we either called for reservations or just drove in. Perhaps this is a custom only in certain areas.

They likely have the rule to eliminate shabby broken down units that will likely leave pools of antifreeze/oil and need to be towed out. Like the one I saw, a clapboard shack built on a 48 Hudson. ::) If the unit is well maintained age will usually not be an issue. Nobody squawked when we parked our 30 year old fiver next to a new Prevost.

It's really not confined to any specific part of the country. We have traveled the 4 corners of the country and occasionally have been asked about the age of our rig. I too do not want to be parked next to barley moving junk, but old does NOT mean junk. I have a buddy with an 1986 Apollo and he makes that thing SHINE.  I have seen more Class A only parks than age restricted ones though.

skyking4ar2> Your response was well stated, made considerable sense, and shows that we all should look before we leap at what might be undefensible conclusions.

I have always felt that those "Age Discriminatory" parks had more business then they could handle and thus don't need mine.. Even when my rig still boasted a sticker in the window.

I did have NICE RV park in San Diego refuse me.....and referred me to a park that would accept any year.
That's what they said "go to Campland On The Bay they will take any year". I already knew it, I was just testing them, and they turned down my $80+. ;D Oh well.
J

SargeW said:
Really, which park in San Diego?
MISSION BAY RV RESORT
The rules are listed on their website. Proof of year is required.
1995 and newer.
J

We stayed in a park last year and learned it was a 10 year or newer park.  We were told that it was a way for them to keep out problem units that might leak all kinds of nasty things.  It was  an out if a problem unit came in, they could just state the policy and turn the unit away.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GandalfTheGrey
Back
Top Bottom