Older RV's Denied Access in Some RV Parks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think the common experience here is, the private campgrounds are less likely to turn people away.  Our Winnie, while beautiful on the inside with our new allure floors, copper sinks, built in bookcases and keyboard stand, etc. is not that pretty on the outside.  Faded decals, a back that is a different color than the sides, and my husband deliberately left some duct tape decor on the outside from the reconstruction.  We've been concerned that we would be turned away for the appearance since our rig is not 'shiny' like most others.  But we've had no problem.  Even campgrounds that stated they had a 10 year policy didn't stop us at the gate and most times, we only found out about the 10 year old policy as we were reading the info we got at check-in.  Admittedly we were only staying for a night and maybe that's all the difference.

But I think you'd want us as your neighbors.  We can fix your plumbing, your electrical, take a look at your engine, help with any sewing, installation or other odds and ends you might need help with.  I'm not so sure the proverbial Jones' in the 200+K rig would be able to do that.  All this, and we can entertain as well!  :-D

LOL!

Now hold on, don't paint everybody that is not in an older rig as a snob or a fool.  We have been in lots of parks and have been the only class A rig (mostly in the midwest).  Folks would walk by and stare at us, and not acknowledge our friendly greeting.

Somehow some people think that if you have a newer rig that you are going to treat them like they are not as good as you are. And that simply isn't true. So stereotypes run amok in both directions.......

Wa_mermayd said:
But I think you'd want us as your neighbors.  We can fix your plumbing, your electrical, take a look at your engine, help with any sewing, installation or other odds and ends you might need help with.  I'm not so sure the proverbial Jones' in the 200+K rig would be able to do that.  All this, and we can entertain as well!  :-D
LOL!

Come to Portland and park next to us as I have a few things to do and my wife will not let me get on the roof to do them.  Will be there in mid August.  Olympia in early September could work too.  ;D ;)

Jim Godward said:
Come to Portland and park next to us as I have a few things to do and my wife will not let me get on the roof to do them.  Will be there in mid August.  Olympia in early September could work too.  ;D ;)

LOL - I'll let my husband know and we'll get back to you.  I think we are going to be here in AZ though unless things drastically change.  I could do with a trip up to Portland though.  I have tons if friends in Seattle I think might make the trip to Portland that they won't do to Tucson.  :)

SargeW said:
Now hold on, don't paint everybody that is not in an older rig as a snob or a fool.  We have been in lots of parks and have been the only class A rig (mostly in the midwest).  Folks would walk by and stare at us, and not acknowledge our friendly greeting.

Somehow some people think that if you have a newer rig that you are going to treat them like they are not as good as you are. And that simply isn't true. So stereotypes run amok in both directions.......

I agree wholeheartedly.  This runs true throughout life.  So many of us make assumptions based on our preconceived notions that results in lost opportunities for new friendships, whether RV's, cars, or homes.  I've found that people with old and new RV's of all kinds are some great people that just like to help.  Not only that, I've had them show me their fancy new rig, and I've had people show me some of the great things they've done with an older rig.  One can amass many great ideas by seeing what others have done.  We just need to be open to learn new things, and we make new friends in the process.  Now that's what I call a "win - win."

Show someone admiration for what they have, give them genuine complements, and a positive reaction has been my experience.

couple of years ago we parked across from a 1.5mil provost. Retired Army E-9, one of the nicest people I've met and would have loved to get his stories but just didn't want to bother him too much. On the other hand I get the worst looks from the tenters. Wonder what that's all about?

Well a tired old thread this but one that won't die.  Nor will its cousins on other boards around the 'net...

But here's a couple of new SPINs on this this.  In my travels I've encountered a number of people staying in older RVs that are simply not maintained.  In essence they have a van with furniture and perhaps even windows ... but no systems or at best partial systems.  Anyone traveling in that situation is going to be a heavy user of facilities provided by the campground much as a tent camper would - particularly showers and toilet facilities.  For a tent-centric campground, fine... but... many RV-oriented campgrounds, especially ones with full hookups, only have an "office" bathroom not on a scale intended to serve families with no facilities of their own.

I've also run into RVers that have plumbing leaks that they know about and have no intention of fixing... if the greywater tank has a crack well they figure it just has to be emptied that much less often... Many state and national parks try to watch for this and ask such rigs to leave.  At a private park perhaps age is a proxy for this.

On the flip side of this I've encountered some tent-only campsites that simply don't allow RVs.  Simply a matter of policy and nothing to do with length or hookups or anything.  Most recently at a county campground.

Much older rigs (pre-1972 or so) generally lack greywater tanks.  The custom of the era was to run a hose to an out-of-the-way part of the site and dump greywater on the ground.  Some people who camp in these older rigs bring a blue boy... others a five-gallon bucket... I'm adding a greywater tank to mine but that's a pretty uncommon mod.

Tenters see RV's in the worst light, I remember back in our early years with a very simple tent camper, looking with disdain at the big RV's (for 1972) and thinking why do they even bother and why would they call it camping.  Well with age comes wisdom.  I also have a Westy, remember the VW poptop camper vans?  On that forum we have RV haters.  They think all kinds of bad things.  I just offer to compare carbon footprints, my rolling home to their 3200 sq ft mini manse.

I didn't understand some CG's refusing entrance to truck campers down in FL, then I saw some of the TC's down in FL. 

Mark R. said:
tenters  (some) do not like motor homes, sail boaters (all) hate power boaters!

I think they would like us more if we let them stick a potato in our generator exhausts! ::)

Back
Top Bottom