Older RV's Denied Access in Some RV Parks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, that is the rule of some RV Parks. They set their standards.

We have members with everything from Very expensive A's to 30 year old A's, VW Wesfalias, B+ Sprinter Roadtreks, old & new 5Ws, TTs, truck and tent campers.

This forum is about RVing and making new friends. I've never seen any one put down for their RV.

This year I've traveled the country in my 1956 Yellowstone.  Only once have I been asked about the age of my rig, and the inquiry was from the park where I'm currently staying (Boise Riverside RV Park). 

They asked to see photos of the trailer before they would give me a reservation.  I sent the pics and less than five minutes later I got a phone call saying "when will you be arriving?"  So I'm here in my little Tin Inn, amidst all of the big fifth wheels and class A's.  There are a few other older rigs in the park as well, but mine wins the prize for being the oldest.

I had no problem with their request.  My trailer isn't a piece of junk, but I've seen some that are.  If I owned an RV park, I'd like to have that control over the image my park portrayed to guests.

Campgrounds and RV parks would be stupid (and I know that some probably are) to discriminate against older well-maintained rigs.  There are nationwide camping clubs devoted to the older units (Tin Can Tourists, Sisters on the Fly, etc.).  And yes, I'm a proud member of both of those clubs.

Whirlwind

mat 60 said:
I must say that I am new here and I would like to know where some of you get off with puting your self in a uper class because you have a nice rig.....Is that what this forum is about....

I would like to know how you got that idea? Nobody around here has a superiority complex. It's all about RVing.  Spend a little more time looking around before you make any snap judgments. 

Mat60, I've been welcomed here with open arms, and I'm rolling with a '56 travel trailer.  SargeW is right, visit awhile, you'll see that this forum is about the love of RVing, not about what kind of rig you have. 

OK ......... :-[.....My first camper is a pc of junk that Im fixing up to use for a year or two and then if my wife and I enjoy it as much as I think we will then we will move into something nice....When I look at all your rigs..............well  mabe Im just jellous... ;)...I cant afford all the toys...If I hadnt bought a new harley,I could have a new camper.....OH....Im sorry for how I came across......MAT60

Mat60, No problem! This thread was in response to the known publicity of some sites that want to be sure the remain attractive to their target market, even more especially in this economy. We all are human and say or do something that shows our ignorance in one or more areas and that's a matter of catching up on what we need to know. I started RVing in a pop-top tent camper that wasn't a lemon, it was a grove. My C's taught me a lot and my A gasser more. Now I have my first used, a '94, diesel pusher and I'm learning new stuff every day -I got it in early August. So, learn with us and enjoy the times when we all get to laugh at ourselves.

The way you've moved into RVing is the one way we give as the way to test out to see if its for you: start out with an older unit and see how you like to RV -there's traveling/touring, moving every week or two, staying for longer periods and maybe work-camping, and snow-birding for 4-6 months in a warm climate and either returning to the same area every late fall or trying one of the other regions --maybe even Baja! Rare is the couple that the 1st rig the buy is the one they stay in for a long time.

I think you were probably smart to buy that new Harley. You may get to keep and use it for a loooooooong time, especially if you buy something newer. There are a number of forum members that bring their bikes with them either in a pick-up. on a lift, or on a trailer.

Mat, welcome.  This is a really great group, very welcoming.  Where are you located?  Look around the forum, esppecially the threads about fixing units up, if you are working on yours you might get some ideas.  Our first rig when meeting up with the group was an older truck camper, one I had to remove skins from, rebrace, reskin, replace appliances, ceilings, upholstery etc.  It came out nice, but didn't start that way. 

I have done some looking around here and this is not a good forum......................Its a great one and thanks for having me..I see it doesn't matter what your camping budjut is you all are good foak....Mat

Just a touch off subject, but...
It was mentioned about vintage RV's in previous posts.  I was wondering if there was a RV park somewhere that featured vintage RV's?  Kind of like going to a hotdog stand on a Saturday night that has a parking lot full of muscle cars of old?

Maybe a campground that draws vintage RV's that owners who are willing to show off their pride and joy to the curious? 

I would love to check out an old Holiday Rambler or Avion that has been restored to orginal condition.

mat 60 said:
I must say that I am new here and I would like to know where some of you get off with puting your self in a uper class because you have a nice rig.....Is that what this forum is about....

Have been on this forum since shortly after it's inception - and have "never" read even a hint of someone putting someone else down because of their rig possibly being newer and better than another members rig. So from my experience the answer is "no" to your question about what this forum is all about.

Would you mind using the quote feature to reference such a statement? You may have misunderstood their intent. The written word is sometimes misread here as to it's intent.

BTW, I live, travel, and work full time in a rig that is about 15 or so years old now -- and look forward to parking beside other forum members with older, same, or newer rigs. Actually, can remember a number of times other members have joined a gathering with a recently purchased and older rig that arrived very proud and looked forward to showing off their new treasure to the other members with much newer rigs.  :)

Bob, Back up a few messages and you'll see Matt's apology. I think he gets us now.

If I pulled my TT, I couldn't care less if Jed Clampett and family pulled in next to me. 
As long as they were respectful of the campground occupants, no problem.  I don't care if their decals or paint are faded.  What is in their heart and how they treat those around them mean a whole lot more to me than how old their set-up is!

Interestingly I am in Havasu RV Resort in AZ right now. It's a newer, owner type park. While they do not restrict their spots to Class A rigs, their brochure states that they want rigs no older than 10 years, AND at least 25' in length.  I think that this is the first park to set a minimum on RV length. 

I am not sure how closely they enforce this rule, but it's the first time I have seen it. 

SargeW said:
Interestingly I am in Havasu RV Resort in AZ right now. It's a newer, owner type park. While they do not restrict their spots to Class A rigs, their brochure states that they want rigs no older than 10 years, AND at least 25' in length.  I think that this is the first park to set a minimum on RV length. 

I am not sure how closely they enforce this rule, but it's the first time I have seen it.

There are others that set a minimum length. They're typically highend RV Resorts. We have found several that will not take us because we are 28'.
Wendy

Bob......I am sorry for what I said sir.....I hope we can get past this....What I said came out all wrong.........I see were talking about something different than I was thinking.....My apology to all of you.....Now as far as older rigs not wanted in some camp parks.....That's fine....I  Now...If someone has money and looks down on others that do not...That's not fine...My own brother is like that.... I have a small furniture store here in Maine  and I meet people like that..I do not care if a guy lives in a tar paper shack and works at the dump....If he is honest hard working and takes care of his family its all good with me...To be honest at first the older RV,s being denied access kind of ticked me off....Again...I'm sorry for how I came across but I'm not sorry for how I feel....MAT

Wendy said:
We have found several that will not take us because we are 28'.
Wendy

Wow, being turned down at 28' seems really over the top. It is amazing how sometimes though the rules that parks put in place are totally ignored.  We were staying a few years back at Newport Dunes RV resort in Newport Beach, CA.  It is without a doubt the most expensive place I have ever seen.  We had a beachfront site for the weekend celebrating the DW birthday.  Partway through the weekend a horse trailer pulls up next to us, drops the loading gate and runs an extension cord inside for lights! 

Now I'm pretty open minded, but this thing didn't even have windows. Three adults and about 4 kids were staying inside. No RV furniture, no running water, just lawn chairs a few army cots and plastic bags full of who knows what.  I'm sorry, that's just not RVing in my book.  Heck, a tent would have been better, at least it's designed for humans!

I guess I lucked out when moving all my belongings (3 BR home) from Seattle to Central Florida in 2000.
We were using a 30' white Ryder van truck with an open full trailer with a minivan on board in tow. The Diesel truck had no cruise control and its power was the pits. Crawling up some mountain roads a 5 mph in 1st gear.

It took us 11 days (as the crow flies cross country). We stayed 10 nights in RV campgrounds, City-owned parks, KOAs and other private RV parks. We slept in the Min-van at night using sleeping bags. Never once were we refused entry.

What an experience.  Loved every mile. No hiccups on the way.

Couldn't get uglier in appearance than that.

FWIW --- Carson FL

SargeW said:

Now I'm pretty open minded, but this thing didn't even have windows. Three adults and about 4 kids were staying inside. No RV furniture, no running water, just lawn chairs a few army cots and plastic bags full of who knows what.  I'm sorry, that's just not RVing in my book.  Heck, a tent would have been better, at least it's designed for humans!
...Mat......Ha Ha.....Now that's bad...Did you smell the horse poop?...Are you kidding, a horse trailer....

Not a problem - of course, Mat.  :) And I sure agree when/if someone looks down on my '96 "home". Fortunately, it hasn't happened as yet - that I know of.

Let me also welcome you to the forum. Hope you can find your way to one of our forum rally's.  :)

Back
Top Bottom