over load

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danford50

will a blown fuse cause a inverter to  overload I was checking out my camper when I noticed that the inverter was showing a error code e5 which when I look it up in the manuel it stated something has a overload.  since I seen it on the display for the inverter does that mean the inverter is overloading?

Please tell us the make & model of the inverter and what was happening when the code appeared. Was the coach on shore power, or was the inverter actively inverting (supplying power from the battery to the 120v circuits).

Some inverter have a circuit breaker that trips on overload, but others just give a code and shut down. The inverter can tell but the power draw from the battery if it is about to overload when inverting.

A blown fuse reduces the load. Besides, fuses are usually for 12v loads, not 120v loads on the inverter.

No. A fuse is a protective device. A blown fuse is the result of an overload - not the cause.  Your overload most likely came from having too many ac loads on at the same time.

everything is turn off there was nothing on when I seen the error  and I was on shore power but it was showing, 11.2 volt on the battery when I checked it.

If you were on shore power and the battery voltage drops, the charging system must be off or not working. The inverter is not your charger - you have a converter/charger somewhere for that. The first thing to check is to make sure that 120v shore power is actually coming into the RV and reaching the charging system.

And if the inverter was drawing battery power, it would seem that no 120v (shore) power was reaching it either. The most likel;y cause of that is simply loss of shore power, e.g. disconnected or a tripped circuit breaker.

my inverter is xantera pro rm1000
I think you have the Xantrex XM1000?

Can a blown fuse cause the inverter to overload?  Depends on several things.

Was the fuse to a 12 or 120 volt device:

IF it is to a 12 volt device then whatever blew the fuse might have caused battery voltage to drop for a brief period (The time it took the fuse to blow) or may have prevented recharge. SOME inverters will show "Overload" when this happens. others "LOW BATTERY".

If it is a 120 device then the same overload that blew the fuse COULD have overloaded the Inverter as the fuse blew. but in this case MOST inverters would have cleared and restarted when the fuse blew.

That said: I do not THINK the fuse had anything to do with it.

how can I tell they different between the inverter and the converter, I have something at the bottom of the fuse panel box at the end of the bed in the master bedroom

what keep the battery charge the inverter or the converter

Usually the CONverter. That said, there are RV's in which the inverter is the only thing installed, and in this case, it has a built-in battery charger function. (These are usually large capacity inverters.)

I have something at the bottom of the fuse panel box at the end of the bed in the master bedroom
If that fuse panel contains both circuit breakers (120V)  and fuses (12V) then that is referred to as a "power centre". The converter may be part and parcel of that unit. What is the make and model written on it??

You can tell the difference by noting the make and model of either and then use Google. Or... Ask here quoting the makes and models.

Here's the manual for your inverter if it is a Xantrex XM1000:

http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Power-Inverters/PRO-Series-Inverters/975-0263-01-01_Rev-C(artwork)%20(1).pdf

The Xantrex XM1000 does not have a charger. Your converter does the charging when plugged into shore power.

Error E05 does mean there was too much load put on the output of the inverter. Everything may have been off when you noticed the error message, but the overload may have occurred earlier. If your batteries were reading 11.2 volts, you need to plug into shore power or run your generator to get the batteries fully charged again.

That is the remote control panel for the inverter. The actual inverter should be within 3 or 4 feet by of the house batteries.

Some inverters are also converter/chargers, but that is not the case with your Xantrex XM 1000. An inverter produces 120v power from a battery, while a converter/charger produces 12v power from 120v shore or genset power for use in powering 12v circuits and charging batteries. Sometimes both are packaged as one unit, but they are effectively two different devices even when in the same box.

Your XM 1000 has 120v input so it does not need to invert from 12v (battery) when shore power is available, but it has no converter/charger function.

You probably have a converter/charger built into the coach power center, where the 120v circuit breakers and 12v fuses are located.

That is a common place for CONVERTERS which only need to ship less than 100 amps down the line but it is a very rare location for INVERTES some of which can easly suck 200-300 amps when they get working

Back
Top Bottom