Poor English, spelling and grammar.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In browser spell checking has improved over the years, Firefox and Chrome are two browsers I use the majority of the time, the real difficulties I have on forums are with the run on paragraphs, those that get to the point of crossing my eyes and dotting my t's, with comma's instead of apostrophes.

I hate to say it, as I'm not a spelling or punctuation ****, but if I find the post too hard to read, I just don't bother!

I'm sure that I miss out on some pearls of wisdom that I would be better off learning, but if you don't please my eye as well as my mind, you are casting pearls before swine... and I'm on the side of the porkers!  :-[

The other trouble I have is as a dyslexic poster, and that makes the rest of the posting woes appear silly and frivolous, most of the time I type into Word or another WP program then cut and paste, but that's so I only look like the idiot I am, not like the idiot I would appear without being my own spelling ****!

Take a deep breath and move on, if you don't like the way posters post, or drive yourself crazy still not able to do anything about the poor punctuation or spelling!

JM2C!

SoEzzy, you're in my camp on this subject...

I find it difficult to follow someone's thoughts when they write one long, uninterrupted paragraph!  Without breaks or spaces between comments, makes it hard (for me) to absorb what the writer is trying to 'say'...

I also usually just pass by a post that's written in one long, unbroken block of words - sorry, but I need a break now and again to let the chain of thought sink in, so to speak...

I agree with most here, we're trying to communicate with each other, not composing for a national magazine...With that in mind, I can usually get around the occasional 'gaff' or spelling mishap - heck, I've done my share, in the heat of the moment...

My usual 'gaff' is not hitting the 'r' hard enough when typing 'your' to end up with 'you', so the spell checker isn't (ain't) involved, and a quick re-read also misses it... :eek:

Oh well, we're all human, or close to it anyway... ;)

unclebuck123 said:
  What happened to proper spelling and grammar?  If we do not correct them then they will remain ignorant in life.

I would suggest that you click on your forum user name to bring up your profile. Then click on "Show Posts" to bring up your recent posts. I reviewed the first ten posts, as of tonight, and found that nine out of ten of your posts could use some help. I am not sure where that leaves you in life.  :eek:

Richard

I guess I spent way to much time doing other things in school. I can come with words that spell check just looks at and says "you dumb ass" ;D ;D

unclebuck123 said:
I realize that this is the friendliest place but I have to vent. Why are we letting people use the word ain't?  What happened to proper spelling and grammar?  If we do not correct them then they will remain ignorant in life.

The same reason you aren't using Shakespearean English.  Language changes.  Bad b u.

wowSo mich fir the friendliest placesorry i shared my feelings with the boardsi guess I will just shut up know.

Is that better for you to read now?

attaboy ubnclebuck123

if ya can't beets 'em, juss joins em !

welcum abored, it ain't so bad.

Dave

unclebuck123 said:
wowSo mich fir the friendliest placesorry i shared my feelings with the boardsi guess I will just shut up know.

Makes no nevermind to me wuz u to ax me.

Either way, your brain, through your fingers, sent me a communication that was received by my eyes and sent to my recepter (brain).  Both communications were recieved and understood, and in neither did I attempt to judge your ignorance (or lack thereof).

8)

Bob

unclebuck123 said:

Nope, each individual should do the best they can!

As for the friendliest place... the 'roasting', if that's what you got here was minor, compared to the roastings I have seen on other boards, so I think that you are correct about how friendly this board is.

Betty Brewer said:
In my high school English class umpty ump years ago, I learned his first post is a compound sentence connected by a conjunction so  no comma is needed. 

Betty

The OP's compound sentence does require a comma because both statements (clauses) are independent, so a comma is placed before the "but" when used as a coordinating conjunction.

Example; (paraphrase)

This is a friendly place, but I need to vent.
I need to vent, even though, this is a friendly place.

But who's grading our papers? ;) :D

unclebuck123 said:

Much better!  8)

I think there should be rule that only full featured keyboards can post here. That will eliminate all the posts in all lower or all upper case from those nasty, non-traditional input devices like Blackberries and iPhones....get thee to a real keyboard!!  ::)

Somewhere on the internet you can find a document that is has not one word misspelled in it.

But the number of wrong words is amazing...

It starts out something like I have a spell clunker (Spell checker)

Many times I've gone to choose the correct spelling and missed.  Many times.

Add to that keyboard issues (keys that bounce or don't make contact properly) and .. Well.....

LOL Margi. Your old boss would have had a very interesting encounter with my very olde English teacher at grammar school. If we weren't 100% perfect, she'd whack us over the knuckles with a wooden ruler.

At the rate we (the USA) are going by following the progressive method of changing the World, we are sure to speak PIGEON English  in the near future. (Maybe it should be spelled Pidgeon. Who knows.

I think I'll stick with what I learned some time ago..hopefully it is understandable to the new crop.

I think our writing/spelling is being corrupted faster than our speech. Just give it time. I feel sorry for teachers of the lower grades to convince their little students which is which or better.

I too love nit-picking; at least I can form a mental image of the person I am reading from.

My rant.... carson,  FL..80?

LOL Carson. A daughter-in-law was an educator at a UK college. She reported that textese spills over into the students' submitted papers. It used to drive her nuts, and she'd tell her students to re-write their papers in English.

t used to drive her nuts, and she'd tell her students to re-write their papers in English.

I hear you, Tom. If she did this here/now in the US she would probably get fired on the spot. "Discrimination"......

carson

Carson, slow down young man.  That's your second post already this year.

Good to have you back, old friend.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob007
Back
Top Bottom