Question on replacement TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a swinging, tilting VESA mount at home for my office tv. Without the tilt, the picture is crappy because I have it mounted fairly high and the viewing angle causes washout as Timber described. Bought it on ebay at an excellent price.

I also have a swinging, tilting, swiveling Vesa mount from a previous installation that I have been cautious attempting to use in the motorhome.
IMHO it must have added some kind of securing or latching provisions for travel in a motorhome. The inertia moments on a 20 to 30 pound TV hanging on the end of the pivoting arms concern me. I picture traveling down the highway (like I-40 at its worse) and the bouncing TV landing on the floor or DW possibly breaking the TV  ;) with the arm sheered off from the stress.
The advantage is that it provides a greater degree of tilt.
Bob

Gary RV Roamer said:
I have a swinging, tilting VESA mount at home for my office tv. Without the tilt, the picture is crappy because I have it mounted fairly high and the viewing angle causes washout as Timber described. Bought it on ebay at an excellent price.

Thanks, Gary and all.  I may try to take a swing-and-tilt and mount it to the floor of the cabinet to allow it to "swing" up-and-down instead of side-to-side.  that means I'll have to make the cabinet floor much more substantial, and possibly do additional cabinet work (that the DB will have her say about) so it's still in the "maybe I can do this" stage.

The video cabinet is much smaller than almost any flat screen larger than 19-inches - who knows how small the original CRT was - so when in travel position, even a 22-inch flat screen will be somewhat wider than the cabinet.

No matter how I decide to mount it, when travelling, I'm going to lock the screen against a foam gasket made from material used to seal boat hatches (like the gasket material that seals an automobile trunk but with a "D" profile).  That should keep it as protected as possible, short of packing it back into it's retail box every time we move!

If I can figure this out, I'll post photos.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

I mounted  my bedroom LCD on the face of the cabinet rather than inside. That allowed me to go from 23" to 26". It's a fixed mount, though, angled for proper viewing from the bed.  I don't have a swing arm on my front tv either. Every place in the lounge area is well within the normal viewing angle specs, so it too is a fixed position.

parttymer said:
Here is what I did. Instead of the swinging arm, I put a frame on the back of the TV and then slid it into two cut out slots on the old cabinet. There was even room to install a blue ray player underneath the TV.

http://s1141.photobucket.com/albums/n598/parttymer/RV%20TV%20modification/

Did the Red Wings win?

Greetings Ron and Cynthia'

I'd reconsider the LG product. I have had nothing but problems with them. I've had three items go bad on me. Their costumer service was very poor and they really don't care.

camperAL

thanks for all your posts, just bought a Samsung UN26D4003 LED LCD TV for our RV to replace that 13" old Sharp CRT. we don't need a TV all the time, so this will only get set up on trips when I have elec hookups and time to set up my Directv dish/tripod. normal placement will be on the corner of the top bed on our class C cab-over - I'll need to experiment with a hook and cable to secure it when I sleep - over 15 years, I knocked that little 13" TV down a few times - kicking it in my sleep. looking forward to joining the digital age.

Updated!

Thank you so much for all of your posts, and ideas!

The LG TV we bought last summer for the Master BR, is working very well.

Now we are looking to replace the original,  front TV. We have a 2005 Dolphin LX, so the TV is not digital. We have a converter box, so have been able to use it, but would now like to replace it with a flat screen, HDTV. We also have satellite, but haven't been able to make use of it.

Any recommendations on what make/model to go with? I do believe we will need to have some carpentry work done too, to make it fit, and look nice.

It's always something, isn't it?  ::)

There are a large number of ideas in the Winnibago section of this site and many might apply to your project even though you have a Dolphin and not a Winnebago product!!

We've had good results with the Sony & Samsung tvs we used to upgrade ours back in 2008. I see no reason why other brands, e.g. Visio, Panasonic, LG, etc. would not work as well.

There are two basic approaches to installing the new tv - I call them inside and outside the box.  You factory tvs were probably "inside the box",meaning they are recessed in a wood cabinet and partially covered with wood face trim.  That means the outer dimensions of the tv you choose have to fit inside the cabinet.  An alternative is to mount the thin LCD tv to the outside face of the cabinet rather than inside. This is practical because of the thinness and the VESA-standard mounting holes on the rear of the tv. You can use a commercially-made VESA mounting bracket, or make your own as I did. You can use the mounting holes to bolt a sturdy board to the back of the tv and screw that board to the cabinet somehow. The exact method depends on your tv and the cabinet structure.

You may also want to cut down the size of the existing cabinet if it currently has a tube-type tv to reduce/eliminate how much it protrudes into the room. I was able to reduce mine by about 12".

Alfa, I'll check out the Winnebago section, thanks!

Gary, thank you for your advice. I like the sound of what you did, and the chance to make that big wooden box less intrusive up front, would be a plus.

parttymer said:
FWIW, your existing satellite, whether its a dome or otherwise, likely will not received HD which is what all the new TVs are.

Stan

Thanks Stan, I thought about that, too. We will be replacing everything, since it's 2005 technology, and all of it is now outdated. We got the original TV working, only because we happened to have one of those converter boxes that were being sold, prior to the digital changeover, several years ago.

Back
Top Bottom