Quote on new tires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
catblaster said:
I'm trying to understand this.....you're getting rid of your chinese samson tires in trade for chinese double coin tires
Correct.  I have no issue with the nationality of manufacturers (e.g. if it's Chinese, it must be bad, or if it's US, it must be good etc. etc.).  The rectification decision was made after much (further) research, and I re-evaluated my first choice of Samson on the basis of more information.  Having a reliable supplier network behind me also factors greatly (should've done that the first time) and also our particular circumstances of mileage and the anticipated length of time we intend to keep the coach are all factors.  Money is a factor too.

As I say, if you can live and learn, then all to the good.  I simply can't swing the pendulum to the opposite side - much as I'd like to - and stick on 6 XZE Michelins.  Thanks for your good wishes.

Dougie.

Les Schwab was a serious contender when I shopped for tires for our coach. The main reason I didn't go with them was because they didn't participate in the huge FMCA discount agreement with Michelin. Shortly afterwards, Les Schwab put new tires on our three cars; Part of the decision to go with Les Schwab was their "one price" for tires, warranty, free rotation, etc compared with a la carte pricing from places like WalMart and Sam's Club.

How about swinging pendulum to the middle....Bridgestone tires are very competitive....Been their done that with Chinese tires!
I would sell my coach before i would put them on. I'll say it again "your first loss is your best loss"

Dan

Unfortunately for me, but to the best of my knowledge (which is very limited) Michelin makes the only tire that I can use for the weight that I have 305/70/22.5R without having to change to another size tire.

I won't mess with tire brands when I carry very special people in my coach (grandkids)!

So I called my Michelin dealer today to get availability of my tires, 10 -14 days, not to bad. Then I asked the build date of the tires and he said he could not give that to me and that Michelin will warranty the tire from date all install. I told him I know that but I will never wear the tire out before the warranty runs out or it gets to the dreaded replacement date of 8-10 years. He laughed at that. I didn't! :-X

So what do I do? Is there anyway of getting the build date?

And by the way, my current tires build date is 0705. A good eight years old now, look great but looks aren't everything! :)

Thanks and have a great weekend!

The dealer gets whatever the Michelin warehouse sends him. He can make a stink about dates, or return them to the warehouse if unsatisfactory, but the whole thing is pretty much out of his control.

Tires are made in huge batches, and unusual sizes may only get made once every several months - or even longer. And a given regional warehouse may sell a lot or a few, totally dependent on market demand. There is just no way to predict what dates are available at any given time. All you can do is refuse the tires and wait for a later time.

Michelin has half the tire buying public convinced they are the only "safe" tire.

In our case, the dealer had tires in stock that were less than 6 months old, and I would have bought them. But, the day before my appointment, he sent his delivery truck from Modesto, CA to the nearest Michelin warehouse in Reno, NV to pick up tires with newer date codes.

This might not have worked with a lower-volume tire size, for reasons Gary gave.

I agree with Gary's comment re Michelin's marketing hype.

RE: age of tires...one thing I'm not sure of (heck, I'm not "sure" of much of anything on this subject) is the effect of age on tires laying in a warehouse vs tires mounted on a vehicle that moves now and then.  Would 1 year in a warehouse be harder or easier on tire compound deterioration vs mounted tires in the weather and sun?  There would be so many variables, this is probably unanswerable, but I'm not sure I'd be too concerned with age before mounting - within reason.

I just replaced all my tires last fall. I first bought the 2 they had in stock, the date code was a little over 6 months old. I then changed my mind and replaced them all. They had to order the other 4. I told the dealer that I wouldn't accept the tires if they were older than the ones I already purchased. They came in, less than 2 months old. Bridgestones are tier 1 tires also at 1/2 the price or less than the Michelins. I had some 187 Bridgestones on the front I bought used a couple years ago. I was happy with those, so I went with them again.  Tuff to find tires made in the USA for these rigs. The Michelins I took off weren't made here either. 

Gary RV Roamer said:
Michelin has half the tire buying public convinced they are the only "safe" tire.

Gary, I don't think I said that Michelin was the only tire I would go with. I would most likely use any major brand tire if there is one that carries the same specs as the Michelin?

I don't won't the issues that the OP has had.

So does anyone know of a tire with the same specs or close to them as the Michelin XRV 305/70R22.5?

I have looked and the only tire that is the same is a larger tire, Michelin XZA2 295/80R22.5

Molaker said:
RE: age of tires...one thing I'm not sure of (heck, I'm not "sure" of much of anything on this subject) is the effect of age on tires laying in a warehouse vs tires mounted on a vehicle that moves now and then.  Would 1 year in a warehouse be harder or easier on tire compound deterioration vs mounted tires in the weather and sun?  There would be so many variables, this is probably unanswerable, but I'm not sure I'd be too concerned with age before mounting - within reason.
That was my position until I considered resale....how do you convince a knowledgeable buyer that your 6 year old tires are only three years old. They just wouldn't go for it.

hes4all said:
So does anyone know of a tire with the same specs or close to them as the Michelin XRV 305/70R22.5?

I have looked and the only tire that is the same is a larger tire, Michelin XZA2 295/80R22.5

That XZA2 is a smaller tire in all aspects except rim size

Try these    http://toyotires.com/tbr/tire/pattern/m144    They are steer tires, fine for all position on RV's and WAY cheaper than Michelins

I just Put a set of Toyo M-122's on mine and they are outstanding tires!! Look up thread for the price I paid.

captsteve said:
That XZA2 is a smaller tire in all aspects except rim size

Try these    http://toyotires.com/tbr/tire/pattern/m144    They are steer tires, fine for all position on RV's and WAY cheaper than Michelins

I just Put a set of Toyo M-122's on mine and they are outstanding tires!! Look up thread for the price I paid.

The Toyo does not have the same weight rating that the Michelin does. 7830 vs. 6780 single tire. For my dual's they would be great, but not for the steer.

I have 13,500 lbs on the front axle full of fuel and water but know people, food and all the other stuff needed for a week or two!
I have 6810 lbs on the right front tire.

The XZA2 has the same weigh rating as the 305, and the only difference that would be of concern for me tire roll out. 305 is 39.1 inches and the 295 is 41.3 inches. Would give me a little more gear.

I do know the Goodyear, Bridgestone and Continental do make the 295 with the weight rating I need, so I will be looking at those too. Just wonder about the height differfence!

Thanks!

So, put the Toyo's on the rear and the Michelins on the steer. The price of the toyo's is less than half of the Michelins and you would not have to get the computer reset for the tire size.

I have been considering that Steve.

One other issue that I have been looking at is availability if I needed a tire because of failure on a trip. The 296's are more readily available.

I did call Newmar and asked why they went with the 305's, Previously the 2002-2005 Mountain Aire's had a 275 tire, Newmar said because of the weigh that was on the front axle.

The 2006 models had a major change on inside height raised that lead them to this tire size.

Availability on the Toyo's won't be as big of a problem as you might suspect. on the road the most likely place you would end up is a truck center and most readily stock toyo's you may have to wait a day for delivery from a regional warehouse but that would be the case on any tire of your size.

The Toyo does not have the same weight rating that the Michelin does. 7830 vs. 6780 single tire.

The specs I am looking at show the Toyo 305 as an 18 ply (Load range H) with 7390 single and 6780 duel. That should be sufficient for your actual loads.

I run the 295/80's on mine (on the front), but use the less expensive and more widely available 11R22.5's on the back, where tiring loads are much less.

Gary, I am looking at that very combination but that will mean that I have to run a high air pressure possibly hurting the ride some. Can't have everything.

Do you run the Toyo's Gary?

I read through this thread, looks like baby is going to get new shoes,  :'(.  I am pricing Michelin 275/70 XZa's 22.5 and see what I come up with for 6.  I was washing the coach and noticed some crazing on a couple near the rim, didn't see any before so must be new.  I look each time I wash it but its been a few months and didn't even notice it but the sun was shining on them and I was checking the tire pressure before leaving tomorrow. Tom also could not see the dates on the inside dualies without taking them off so we don't know.  The others are going on  7 years old.  Not doing it because of that, its because of the aging I'm seeing.

Tom suggested I price some regular truck tires, what's the difference?  do they ride rougher or something,we have truck tire dealers near us up there as they supply them for all the coal trucks up there.  I read the XRA has a sidewall that is less liable to puncture, probably makes them cost more. Like I told hubby likely our last set anyway, I'm 67 and hope I can drive this thing 7 more years, they will age out before miles though she will have 6000 miles on it before I get back home.  Also time for an oil change, hope he has time when he is home.

Do you run the Toyo's Gary?

Sorry - I did not notice this question until today.

No, I do not run Toyos, but I am running Continentals, a brand that is similar in terms of distribution and international repute. These and some other "Tier 2" brands are well-known in the trucking industry but not so widely known by the general motoring public.

I just installed  some big (265/60R18) Yokohomas on my Acadia SUV. Yokohoma is another Tier 2 brand that is well-respected internationally & among truckers.

Thanks Gary, I have looked at the Continentals and they do not offer a size for my weight. I do believe they are a good tire.

I just got off the phone with my local tire dealer and got this price for M 144 305/70R 22.5 Toyo's. Same size that I am running now but still a little less weight capacity but enough for what I have at a higher air pressure.

Price for 8 tires without the mounting or balancing is $4910.76.
Through FMCA and Michelin the price is $5516.96 without the mounting or balancing.

I don't know what you or others would do, but I think I'll stick with the Michelins because they can carry more weight and I can run them at less air pressure for ride.

Back
Top Bottom