Quote on new tires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think there will different opinion's on this just like any other subject. I have the Samson tires on my unit now for a year and 5000, miles with "0" problem of any kind. Smooth driving and handles well, but in looking at them closely I think I would say they are wearing faster than expected but then again so what, I mean most all RV tires will age out before wear out so if mine are worn out at age out so what!

ironrat said:
I think there will different opinion's on this just like any other subject. I have the Samson tires on my unit now for a year and 5000, miles with "0" problem of any kind. Smooth driving and handles well...

The issue for me here though is that my RV rides like a frigging tractor on a field now.  I expected the tires would wear more quickly than higher-priced ones so I've no issue with that.  I'm glad your Samsons provide you with smooth driving.  That's what I expected with mine, but haven't got.

Dougie.

What you experienced speaks volumes about dealing with China-based companies. There may as well be no warranty at all with those terms & conditions. Mediocre quality control and no real warranty makes buying those tires a crap shoot.

The warranty issue is a real one for sure. My Samson's came from Camping World and I have it in writing that they warranty these tires on my unit anyway, a little bit better than the slow boat to and from China.

kenb1023 said:
It has been my observation with cars and SUVs that Michelin tires are worth the money if you put a lot of miles on them.  If you don?t think you are going to put more than 5K to 8K miles a year on the rig than the lesser priced tires are fine.  Michelins wear well and hold up well over the long haul.  That is what you are paying for.  As for ride and traction there are lots of tires that will match or even exceed Michelins but may not last as long.  When you change out tires every 7 to 10 years you want to get your money?s worth out of the tread.  I figure that big truck tires are the same in this respect.  I my RV came with Michelins.  4 are five years old and two are only a year old.  When the time comes I most likely will not get Michelins just because I don?t put the miles on them to get my money?s worth.
Just my two cents worth

This is what I've found to be true.  We get 200,000+ miles on Michelin XZA 3+ steers, and over 400.000 on drive tires.  But for an RV I think the Samson at that price will be a great deal.  I've seen them on the steers of some rigs after about 50,000 miles doing well, and I don't personally think I'll do 50,000 miles in 7 years in my MH. 

You may indeed have out of round tires. But you need to be sure they are mounted correctly, as incorrectly will show up as a tire out of round.
I don't know if this service is available any more, but you use to be able to have your tires shaved to be perfectly round. Recap tire outfits use to do it, and truck tires are still routinely recapped and retreaded, check out a tire truck stop for info.

Some tire shops, especially the truck tire shops, can sometimes deal with an out-of-round tire.

I've tried several tire dealers in & around WA & ID but haven't found anyone who trues (shaves) tires.

Help?  :eek:

OK - cancel the shaving/truing route.  I've spoken face-to-face with a sympathetic ACCC dealer here in Spokane who is saying - subject to his agreeing the Samsons are faulty - he will remove & replace them with tires of my choice, and have them returned to the distributor under the warranty, so that I will only pay the difference for the new tires.

Like it should be.

I'll take the coach in next week after the flooring refurb by which time he should've called me to confirm he's made the arrangements.  I live in hope.

Dougie.

Dougie Brown said:
I've tried several tire dealers in & around WA & ID but haven't found anyone who trues (shaves) tires.

Help?  :eek:

Kaiser Brake & Alignment in Eugene, Or. does.

Me too Gary. He sells Kumhos which I know you rate, so if he can get six by next week and all goes to plan, I'll be fixed up.

The ACCC dealer (above) called yesterday to say that the distributor (ATD who he and the Oregon supplier use) would not agree to take them back.  As I have had more than enough of this, I've negotiated a trade-in deal with the manager of a Les Schwab branch who is giving me $100 allowance on each tire against 6 new Double Coins at $292.  They are - needless to say - guaranteed for everything except road damage: I get free rotation/rebalancing/puncture repairs and I know I'm in good hands.  This time. :(  I simply can't afford 6 Michelins, and in any case, we only do around 3k-4k miles each year.

I've lived and learnt a thing or three out of this - a combination of bad luck (5/6 tires out of round) and bad decisions.  American Tire Distributors suck.

Dougie.

I'm trying to understand this.....you're getting rid of your chinese samson tires in trade for chinese double coin tires. Hope this works out for you..really. I read where double coin has an agreement with michelin to make some of their tires, also some of the Toyo tires are made in china also with good results. Like I said I hope it works out..let us know either way.

Back
Top Bottom