State-by-State Gun Laws

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That last sentence negates a lot of your arguments. Background checks do not help when people lie on them.

These are not my arguments but the arguments of responsible gun owners who support evidence-based policies, and of people who are actually making the legislation around background checks. You can whine about it, but it does no good to do it here. You're certainly not convincing me.

Haven't had a problem in my neck of the woods, for the last 30 years. Me and most of my neighbors are legal gun owners most of which own dogs as well. Haven't had a break in, robbery or shooting in the whole time. (y)
Gee, I wonder why that is.

I don’t think most reasonable people are arguing to take guns away from conscientious gun owners. I’m not arguing that. As I said before, 2A lacks modern context and no, I don’t think it means anyone can own or carry any gun. And current “legal ownership” is such a low bar that it allows people who really should not own guns, to own/purchase/carry. The bar needs to be higher for a lot of reasons.
I'll agree to that. I will say, however, that there is a large faction of people who decidedly do want to take away all guns, legally owned by law-abiding, conscientious citizens or not. I have had people say that they believe only the police and military should possess weapons. That statement has a definite ring of dread.

Last edited:
Background checks do not help when people lie on them.
You can lie on the form 4473, but not on the BGC. The BGC often catches the lies on the form.

Here in NV, they check the state records first. Mental history as well as anything recent on the state records, including stuff such as a DUI that the feds may not care about or be too recent for their records. A special division of the NV DMV does it. NV state has tougher rules than the feds. After the state is done with the BGC it goes to the feds. I have no issue with any of this.

I am exempt from the normal BGC anyway as I have the NV CCW which means I do not require a BGC here. It would be stupid to require such as I am permitted to carry a concealed weapon at any time I wish to buy another.

But UBCs are much different and stupid, IMAO. Mostly ignored here in NV anyway. And since it was written to only harass the legal gun owners, I am NOT exempt from it, even with my NV CCW. Not enforced in most of NV anyway. Only one county in all of NV voted in favor of it, but that one county was Clark, which has a higher population than all other NV counties combined.

The normal BGC is federal (in NV, state as well). The UBC is NOT federal, it is always at the state level-only. It's just a "feel-good law". Rarely enforced anywhere at all. Impossible to enforce where needed anyway.

-Don- Reno, NV

Last edited:
I'll agree to that. I will say, however, that there is a large faction of people who decidedly do want to take away all guns, legally owned by law-abiding, conscientious citizens or not. I have had people say that they believe only the police and military should possess weapons. That statement has a definite ring of dread.

And I acknowledge that too. The polar opposite of that are the people who want completely unabridged 2A rights, which I think is just as dreadful. Neither position appears to serve the vast majority of people in the US.

Neither position appears to serve the vast majority of people in the US.
Seems to be the case when it comes to most contentious issues these days. The solution being for legislators to accept that whatever reasonable regs they come up with, the pro and anti guy nuts are going to go ballistic. So be it. Stop putting your fear of not getting reelected get in the way of doing what's right for the majority.

Yeah right, like that's gonna' happen...

These are not my arguments but the arguments of responsible gun owners who support evidence-based policies, and of people who are actually making the legislation around background checks. You can whine about it, but it does no good to do it here. You're certainly not convincing me.
I am not whining and I know I will never convince you. The same people that argue for more gun restrictions know full well that people will always find ways around their restrictions but they still want to do it.

I am not whining and I know I will never convince you. The same people that argue for more gun restrictions know full well that people will always find ways around their restrictions but they still want to do it.

And the argument that this is some illogical crusade is false. There is living proof outside of the US and within the US that safety improvements with regards to guns reduces violence and saves lives.

And of course, it will never end until every gun is illegal and then only criminals will have guns.

-Don- Reno, NV

Also false. That's a very tired, old "slippery slope" argument which doesn't enhance the discussion nor does it provide any meaningful answers. This is talked about every time any kind of meaningful legislation is discussed, and nobody has taken away your guns.... but you are right, it does tend to increase sales! Because fear and illogical slippery-slope panic.

Also false.
Then please explain when all new gun controls laws will stop.

Say we just get a bunch of new gun control laws passed--every type you think we should have.

And then shortly after we have the biggest mass shooting in history.

My only question is when after that happens (which is not all that unlikely with copycat crime with the next guy wanting to outdo the murders of the guy before) you will say "that is all we can do, no more gun control!".

So at which law does it stop at if not when all guns are illegal?

-Don- Reno, NV

Yep. They are doing a great job of increasing the 2A sanctuary areas in the USA.

-Don- Reno, NV
Yessir, my county here in Tx was among the first three in the entire state to declare sanctuary status. Now the entire state is designated so all 254 counties are by default. My county is also #1 in growth in the US again this year [was for a short time last year as well]. These fluctuate quite a bit, but we haven't left the top three in over a year.

And yes, the NRA is a bloated version of itself that does very little in all reality, those who know little about it love to hate the organization because they think they are the big problem.

The big problem is the plan when the guns are banned altogether. History shows us EXACTLY what happens every single time. Don't make the mistake of thinking your politician is trying to help prevent this either, they are just actors [all of them] and they all have the same plan. I think we may get to see this on a large scale very soon.

Then please explain when all new gun controls laws will stop.

Say we just get a bunch of new gun control laws passed--every type you think we should have.

And then shortly after we have the biggest mass shooting in history.

My only question is when after that happens (which is not all that unlikely with copycat crime with the next guy wanting to outdo the murders of the guy before) you will say "that is all we can do, no more gun control!".

So at which law does it stop at if not when all guns are illegal?

-Don- Reno, NV

And when do the gun nuts stop? When every kid has their own AR-15? See how dumb that sounds? And yet, there are people who would say "well, that's a 2A-guaranteed right even if were to happen!".

And yes, the NRA is a bloated version of itself that does very little in all reality, those who know little about it love to hate the organization because they think they are the big problem.

Mostly because the NRA has been a problem, it's a terrible organization, and is majorly entangled with a political party. Not exactly promoting responsible gun ownership and in many cases funding smear against perfectly reasonable controls. 'Nuff said about that. It's not "knowing little about it". It's reasonable to have low opinions of proper :poop: .

And when do the gun nuts stop? When every kid has their own AR-15? See how dumb that sounds? And yet, there are people who would say "well, that's a 2A-guaranteed right even if were to happen!".

Mostly because the NRA has been a problem, it's a terrible organization, and is majorly entangled with a political party. Not exactly promoting responsible gun ownership and in many cases funding smear against perfectly reasonable controls. 'Nuff said about that. It's not "knowing little about it". It's reasonable to have low opinions of proper :poop: .
How many kids legally own AR15? What age do you consider a kid?

The biggest problem is all who believe the media and politicians and participate in the two party system. ALL of it has one design, to keep us divided. And it's worked beautifully right here in this thread.

How many kids legally own AR15? What age do you consider a kid?

Let's back up a step. SCOTUS hasn't even ruled if an AR-15 meets the definition of something even covered by 2A because really, we're talking about a weapon of war. 21 is the current minimum legal to purchase/possess one by an ordinary citizen. Guess which org has been against any age limit increase for different types of guns? Do you think they'd lower it if they had the power to do so? I do...

The biggest problem is all who believe the media and politicians and participate in the two party system. ALL of it has one design, to keep us divided. And it's worked beautifully right here in this thread.

Not really. I see at least 3-4 gun owners debating state-to-state gun laws and safety measures. It's a false accusation that everyone not all-in on guns is somehow brainwashed by politicians and the media. Get outta here with that garbage.

Let's back up a step. SCOTUS hasn't even ruled if an AR-15 meets the definition of something even covered by 2A because really, we're talking about a weapon of war. 21 is the current minimum legal to purchase/possess one by an ordinary citizen. Guess which org has been against any age limit increase for different types of guns? Do you think they'd lower it if they had the power to do so? I do...

Not really. I see at least 3-4 gun owners debating state-to-state gun laws and safety measures. It's a false accusation that everyone not all-in on guns is somehow brainwashed by politicians and the media. Get outta here with that garbage.
Why can't you answer simple questions? The 2A is about arms which is what the AR15 is. To think that the founding fathers did not think that weapons would advance is really quite silly.

Please stop with the weapon of war. They are not weapons of war. They are semi auto rifles designed for civilian use. They do not have automatic capabilities like the ones the military uses. As far as what organization has done what I am not sure why that makes a difference when I have not brought up any organizations.

I am not sure how you can say you are not brainwashed and say things like "weapons of war". That is a stupid talking point directly from the media and politicians. Let me guess you think the military grade caliber they use is more powerful than most hunting rifles.

Why can't you answer simple questions? The 2A is about arms which is what the AR15 is. To think that the founding fathers did not think that weapons would advance is really quite silly.

Please stop with the weapon of war. They are not weapons of war. They are semi auto rifles designed for civilian use. They do not have automatic capabilities like the ones the military uses. As far as what organization has done what I am not sure why that makes a difference when I have not brought up any organizations.

I am not sure how you can say you are not brainwashed and say things like "weapons of war". That is a stupid talking point directly from the media and politicians. Let me guess you think the military grade caliber they use is more powerful than most hunting rifles.

You are correct about one thing. I do support a ban on AR-15's and other assault weapons. At the federal level.

And when do the gun nuts stop?
What new gun right have us gun nuts gained? All we do is defend the 2A nonstop.

Gun control only goes one way=---towards making every gun of every type illegal, so only criminals will have guns and nobody else will be able to defend themselves.

-Don- (great new Mexican restaurant here on USA Parkway, Sparks., NV-- I am riding my Harley for a change).

Exactly...parroting the media when it is simply nowhere near the truth. Weapons of war is a comical and outright lie. Brainwashed? YEP.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sue2La
Back
Top Bottom