Stealth camping rigs at our rural highway entrance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We have a rural county home off of a highway with one entrance. Currently we have tree cutting on the highway and a large temporary road sign is blocking our exit. Other than that the sheriff uses it for a speed trap. We did have a lady park her car blocking it, along with travel trailers and such. I spoke with the lady with my dogs and CCW. She was walking the highway picking apples. Our gate is about 1/4 mile from the home.

Haven't had to deal with Stealth Camping Rigs yet. Probably contact the Rural Sheriff.

Last edited:
Are stealth camping rigs a real potential problem there? My family has about a 400 acre cattle ranch in western Louisiana, as well as about 165 acres of farm land in north eastern Louisiana with about 2,500 ft of combined water front footage along the Ouchita river, as well as a cutoff bayou. At both locations we have to deal with trespassing, primarily people sneaking onto the property to either hunt or fish. Our biggest concerns with this is liability should they be injured or them leaving gates open / damaging crops, etc. Sure from time to time we will also have people pull in, park on the road, etc. most of the time they are lost, other times it is someone that needed a place to pull off and make a phone call, etc.

Which brings me to the point, is someone pulling off to get their bearings, checking a tire, or even taking a break for a few minutes doing you in real harm?

Are stealth camping rigs a real potential problem there? My family has about a 400 acre cattle ranch in western Louisiana, as well as about 165 acres of farm land in north eastern Louisiana with about 2,500 ft of combined water front footage along the Ouchita river, as well as a cutoff bayou. At both locations we have to deal with trespassing, primarily people sneaking onto the property to either hunt or fish. Our biggest concerns with this is liability should they be injured or them leaving gates open / damaging crops, etc. Sure from time to time we will also have people pull in, park on the road, etc. most of the time they are lost, other times it is someone that needed a place to pull off and make a phone call, etc.

Which brings me to the point, is someone pulling off to get their bearings, checking a tire, or even taking a break for a few minutes doing you in real harm?

Actually I talked with the lady picking apples. Told her to pick all she wants along the highway. Just happens she parked right at our tall deer gate which blocks our only exit. We have Golden Delicious, apricots, and pears. We welcome folks. It's beautiful country. Most people stop just to check their bearings and for our major cattle drives.

There's abundant camping both boondocking and established up the highway. Stealth camping is non-existent here.

Last edited:
So youā€™re chasing them out of public space with a gun?

45 years ago there was a car parked in a church parking lot across from my house with two guys inside. There had been midnight break-ins in my neighborhood. When I backed out of my driveway at 2 AM to pick up my wife at work they took off like a bat out of h#xx. So I floored my SS396 and got their license plate number. The next day police said that car was cops on stakeout. Cops wouldn't have burned rubber when I pulled out. I still think I got the license plate of the guys who were breaking in. The break-ins stopped after that but there was nothing on the news.

Years ago we had a couple of breakins in our neighborhood.
One night I spotted a van parked along side an empty lot on our street.
Thinking they might be the burglars, I reported them to the police. Sad to say they had been drinking and just pulled off the road to sober up.
When the police came to our door to explain, I felt really bad about turning them in.. To my way of thinking, these guys did the right thing, in getting off the road, to avoid hurting themselves or anyone else.
When I told it to the policeman he said, the driver still had to be arrested for DUI..
Life happens!!??

When I told it to the policeman he said, the driver still had to be arrested for DUI..
Life happens!!??
But he wasnā€™t driving.
That always got to me. Just because he was sitting behind the wheel right away heā€™s guilty of driving when the car never moved. He may have just walked from a friends house or a bar and just sat in his car to sober up.

At second worst sit in the passenger seat or anywhere else, but not in the car's driver's seat. Outside the car or in, don't be carrying the car keys even if walking or standing outside on public property. Throw the keys faraway from the vehicle. Anywhere that they can't be found easily by you or the LEO. 0.04% is the BAC in Utah. 0.02% for a commercial license. Don't even have to be intoxicated with 0.04% which is just 1 beer for some women. Just be happy looking with a lower BAC than intoxicated. So anything less can still be a DUI. Even 1 beer with a dinner. Don't have to be driving or have driven. We're almost through this for one of our family members who was celebrating her birthday and was right outside of her house.

Even 1 beer with a dinner. Don't have to be driving or have driven. We're almost through this for one of our family members who was celebrating her birthday and was right outside of her house.
How are they handling pot smoking out there and driving?

In Maryland. It becomes legal on Saturday.

LE have been training to spot it while the person is pulled over for driving under the influence of pot.

Must be different now that it is legal? It was hard to prove before, but now it must be easy to prove?

How do they prove that you are under the influence of pot? Do they have breathalyzers for pot now?

Does State supersede federal law these days?

What does Colorado spend the tax money on that they earn from pot?

Curious.

Actually I talked with the lady picking apples. Told her to pick all she wants along the highway. Just happens she parked right at our tall deer gate which blocks our only exit. We have Golden Delicious, apricots, and pears. We welcome folks. It's beautiful country. Most people stop just to check their bearings and for our major cattle drives.

There's abundant camping both boondocking and established up the highway. Stealth camping is non-existent here.
Address? :)

How are they handling pot smoking out there and driving?

In Maryland. It becomes legal on Saturday.

LE have been training to spot it while the person is pulled over for driving under the influence of pot.

Must be different now that it is legal? It was hard to prove before, but now it must be easy to prove?

How do they prove that you are under the influence of pot? Do they have breathalyzers for pot now?

Does State supersede federal law these days?

What does Colorado spend the tax money on that they earn from pot?

Curious.

Our only new businesses in rural Western Colorado are weed dispensaries. I do not know anything about pot. Other than we voted NO. The dispensary by a rural road in Palisade they just moved the location due to stoned people were walking around in the road.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom