Stealth camping rigs at our rural highway entrance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What's the best method to deal with stealth camping rigs at your rural highway entrance?

Maybe post the property... would keep me from sitting around.
gun.pnggun toting.png
gun toting sign.png

Last season. Please avoid profanity.
Profanity? Waht was last season/ The tree cutting?
Your original post makes no sense, now Lets break it down; You state".We have a rural county home off of a highway with one entrance. Currently we have tree cutting on the highway and a large temporary road sign is blocking our exit. Other than that the sheriff uses it for a speed trap. We did have a lady park her car blocking it, along with travel trailers and such. I spoke with the lady with my dogs and CCW. She was walking the highway picking apples. Our gate is about 1/4 mile from the home."
YOU CURRENTLY have tree cutting going on and you had a lady parking to block your entrance while picking apples; now you say this was last year she was picking apples. Again your post makes no sense and I fail to see a problem that would require your dogs and a weapon.

I would urge you to speak to a mental health professional before something bad happens to you?

Profanity? Waht was last season/ The tree cutting?
Your original post makes no sense, now Lets break it down; You state".We have a rural county home off of a highway with one entrance. Currently we have tree cutting on the highway and a large temporary road sign is blocking our exit. Other than that the sheriff uses it for a speed trap. We did have a lady park her car blocking it, along with travel trailers and such. I spoke with the lady with my dogs and CCW. She was walking the highway picking apples. Our gate is about 1/4 mile from the home."
YOU CURRENTLY have tree cutting going on and you had a lady parking to block your entrance while picking apples; now you say this was last year she was picking apples. Again your post makes no sense and I fail to see a problem that would require your dogs and a weapon.

I would urge you to speak to a mental health professional before something bad happens to you?
Take a chill pill brother.

The next day police said that car was cops on stakeout. Cops wouldn't have burned rubber when I pulled out. I still think I got the license plate of the guys who were breaking in. The break-ins stopped after that but there was nothing on the news.
Maybe the cops were doing the break-ins - LOL...

Also - I hate to make this a gun thread but to my knowledge there is no state that allows the carry person to seek out a conflict. This puts the CCW holder squarely on the wrong side of the equation.

One night a year or so ago I got back to my RV at the RV park about 11:30 pm. My elderly male neighbor came up and knocked on my door. He told me some kids had walked by and threw "something" at and on his RV (he thought it might be a fast food bag or something)and he was worried. We had spots right next to the street.

I got my flashlight and my weapon and went and had a look. I found zero evidence anything had been thrown at his trailer and I even climbed a picnic table to look at the roof.

He then grabbed his keys and wanted me to come with him to "look" for the kids. I figured I knew the kids he was talking about. Just a bunch of farm kids. I clearly told him that's not how CCW works and I would not go with him.

I told him he was welcome to give me a shout anytime during the night if anything real happened.

How are they handling pot smoking out there and driving?

In Maryland. It becomes legal on Saturday.

LE have been training to spot it while the person is pulled over for driving under the influence of pot.

Must be different now that it is legal? It was hard to prove before, but now it must be easy to prove?

How do they prove that you are under the influence of pot? Do they have breathalyzers for pot now?

Does State supersede federal law these days?

What does Colorado spend the tax money on that they earn from pot?

Curious.
In many cases, yes, it's a states rights issue.

Maybe the cops were doing the break-ins - LOL...

Also - I hate to make this a gun thread but to my knowledge there is no state that allows the carry person to seek out a conflict. This puts the CCW holder squarely on the wrong side of the equation.

One night a year or so ago I got back to my RV at the RV park about 11:30 pm. My elderly male neighbor came up and knocked on my door. He told me some kids had walked by and threw "something" at and on his RV (he thought it might be a fast food bag or something)and he was worried. We had spots right next to the street.

I got my flashlight and my weapon and went and had a look. I found zero evidence anything had been thrown at his trailer and I even climbed a picnic table to look at the roof.

He then grabbed his keys and wanted me to come with him to "look" for the kids. I figured I knew the kids he was talking about. Just a bunch of farm kids. I clearly told him that's not how CCW works and I would not go with him.

I told him he was welcome to give me a shout anytime during the night if anything real happened.
If I, as a rural home owner, see a vehicle pull into the end of my drive and just sit there you can bet I'm going to go check out why they are blocking my driveway - and they won't know it, but I will be armed. Maybe they are just checking their map, maybe they are lost, but I have the right to ascertain their intentions on my own property. That is not seeking a conflict, it is being conscious of circumstances. Me being armed does not change any of that. And if they escalate the situation, that is on them.

That is not seeking a conflict, it is being conscious of circumstances. Me being armed does not change any of that. And if they escalate the situation, that is on them.
Rather than open the Pandora's box on how many ways that can go down, I'll just say that you have a right to interpret the carry laws and shooting laws any way you want, until a jury of 12 gets to offer a second opinion.

I used to train with my CCW instructor who was also a 20 year veteran deputy Sherriff. We gamed a lot of scenarios. He's been involved in 3 officer involved shootings and gave me the name and number of his lawyer.

Bottom line is that if you discharge and hit anyone you will definitely be a defendant.

I will say that my son received credible threats from some "alleged" gang members who stated they were going to come by and "cap his a$$" - Son was living with me and was an Army ranger.

I called the local Barney who came by and I explained what we were going to do. His response was, "Make sure you have plenty of mags." - I wanted to be on record with the local PD in case they really did come by.

You and I can continue to think differently about it but I also live rural and there is no way my first response to a car in my driveway is gonna be grab my gun and go ask, "What's up?"

You and I can continue to think differently about it but I also live rural and there is no way my first response to a car in my driveway is gonna be grab my gun and go ask, "What's up?"
The gun club I belong to constantly reminds us to only use a gun for defense inside your home but never in your yard. You can be charged with brandishing a gun if you ever take it out of your pocket. Castle laws in every state that have them are quite clear. In most states a criminal may be breaking out your window but you can't "legally" shoot until they climb inside. Even then their family can file a wrongful death lawsuit they cannot win but may cost you tens of thousands to defend. Some states say you can protect your property but only if they are armed and present a life threatening situation.

Last edited:
The gun club I belong to constantly reminds us to only use a gun for defense inside your home but never in your yard. You can be charged with brandishing a gun if you ever take it out of your pocket. Castle laws in every state that have them are quite clear. In most states a criminal may be breaking out your window but you can't "legally" shoot until they climb inside. Even then their family can file a wrongful death lawsuit they cannot win but may cost you tens of thousands to defend. Some states say you can protect your property but only if they are armed and present a life threatening situation.
Not in Florida. Stand Your Ground.

Florida stand your ground is definitely not a "license to kill." The basic change was that you are no longer obligated to retreat or disengage.

If you are in your yard or driveway stand your ground isn't a factor, although other precedents too come into play.

1688308096058.png

Florida stand your ground is definitely not a "license to kill." The basic change was that you are no longer obligated to retreat or disengage.

If you are in your yard or driveway stand your ground isn't a factor, although other precedents too come into play.

View attachment 165747
Unless the person getting shot is brown or black.

My son in San Antonio, TX saw someone trying to take parts off his motorcycle, called the police, and went outside with a handgun. The police arrived with their guns pointed at my son when the thief ran off and was never caught. They warned him he was lucky they didn't shoot him and they would charge him with brandishing a weapon if he showed a gun outside his home again.

Not true. Don't argue the point, I retired with 30 years LE.

My son in San Antonio, TX saw someone trying to take parts off his motorcycle, called the police, and went outside with a handgun. The police arrived with their guns pointed at my son when the thief ran off and was never caught. They warned him he was lucky they didn't shoot him and they would charge him with brandishing a weapon if he showed a gun outside his home again.
That is a different scenario.

Rather than open the Pandora's box on how many ways that can go down, I'll just say that you have a right to interpret the carry laws and shooting laws any way you want, until a jury of 12 gets to offer a second opinion.

I used to train with my CCW instructor who was also a 20 year veteran deputy Sherriff. We gamed a lot of scenarios. He's been involved in 3 officer involved shootings and gave me the name and number of his lawyer.

Bottom line is that if you discharge and hit anyone you will definitely be a defendant.

I will say that my son received credible threats from some "alleged" gang members who stated they were going to come by and "cap his a$$" - Son was living with me and was an Army ranger.

I called the local Barney who came by and I explained what we were going to do. His response was, "Make sure you have plenty of mags." - I wanted to be on record with the local PD in case they really did come by.

I'll not argue with any of you. What you should be doing is asking me what the laws are. They haven't changed much since I retired with 30 years LE.

I don't have to "grab my gun", as it is almost always hanging on my hip. I carry it mostly for snakes, sometimes the two-legged kind.

View attachment 165747
Stan your ground is applicable anywhere - in your home, in your yard, standing on the street corner downtown.

Stan your ground is applicable anywhere - in your home, in your yard, standing on the street corner downtown.
If you are an NRA member there is an article in their magazine about this several times a year. I'll take their advice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom