Stealth camping rigs at our rural highway entrance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll not argue with any of you. What you should be doing is asking me what the laws are. They haven't changed much since I retired with 30 years LE.
Well not to ;ick on you but as an ex-LEO you should realize that asking you about the law is probably terrible advice.

You should be advising people to educate themselves. It would be ridiculous of me to advise anyone what to do, especially blanket statements for actions applicable country wide.

I have read the entire statute of Florida because I live and carry here. When I lived in Ohio I read the entire Ohio statute.

I won't even argue the statute because I presume everyone can read. And no amount of armchair arguing is a substitute for how our legal system works. That is when a law is perceived to be broken the law and event are tested in court.

Resume wrangling is a common aspect of the internet. My Sherriff buddy did not go into great detail but he assured me that all three time he was involve in OIS there was a consideration whether to prosecute or not. And it's not just criminal. He was also a defendant civilly once and the case was dismissed.

Anyway, I promise myself not to do "gun threads" so this'll be my last on the subject.

If you are an NRA member there is an article in their magazine about this several times a year. I'll take their advice.
Not a member. I was once, for a year back in the late 80's. Then they filled my mailbox up with junk mail every week, begging for more money. So at the end of the year, I quit. They irritated me into not continuing my membership. I'm an avid hunter, shooter, outdoorsman, and a staunch 2nd Amendment supporter but I don't need to join an organization to prove it to anyone. Not that I don't support most of what they're doing.

Not even the case.
The old adage of "make sure the person is inside your home before you shoot" went out the window years ago. There are a mish-mash of state laws out there, but most all of them boil down to, "If you are being threatened, and you have the legal right to be where you are, you have no duty to retreat and may defend yourself with deadly force if you feel your life or that of someone else is threatened." That includes in your home, in your yard, or standing on the street corner.

From The National Conference of State Legislatures:

"Laws in at least 28 states and Puerto Rico allow that there is no duty to retreat an attacker in any place in which one is lawfully present. (Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah and West Virginia Wyoming.)

At least ten of those states include language stating one may “stand his or her ground.” (Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania and South Carolina.)"

Last edited:
Rural living has different meanings. We have 1 person per square mile. There's plenty of space for anyone to park besides right in front of our gate. If someone is parking entirely blocking our only exit I will check it out.
20230702_095355.png

Rural living has different meanings. We have 1 person per square mile. There's plenty of space for anyone to park besides right in front of our gate. If someone is parking entirely blocking our only exit I will check it out.
View attachment 165754
Our neighbors are about 1/2 mile each side of us, and there isn't much traffic on this county road, but it's quite common for people to use the bottom of our drive to turn around and go back the other direction - no matter which direction they are going. I guess we're right about the point where they realize they missed the burned out stump in front of the old Wiggins place.

Our neighbors are about 1/2 mile each side of us, and there isn't much traffic on this county road, but it's quite common for people to use the bottom of our drive to turn around and go back the other direction - no matter which direction they are going. I guess we're right about the point where they realize they missed the burned out stump in front of the old Wiggins place.

We live off of a state highway. This week we were passed at high speed by a large motorcycle club and then by two pickup trucks carrying motorcycles. I pulled to the right onto the shoulder while maintaining the highway speed limit to provide additional space for their safe passing. Mongols were the club. Really nice bikes. We have lots of various clubs that use the scenic designated highway.

We live off of a state highway. This week we were passed at high speed by a large motorcycle club and then by two pickup trucks carrying motorcycles. I pulled to the right onto the shoulder while maintaining the highway speed limit to provide additional space for their safe passing. Mongols were the club. Really nice bikes. We have lots of various clubs that use the scenic designated highway.
Every couple of weeks I'll see a young guy on a bike go zipping past. Sounds like about a 150 dirtbike, or a real souped-up moped.

Truck driving school uses our highway. Smells of burning brakes from RV's. Jake brakes noise far off in the distance and finally pass our home on a mile drop in elevation with a 20 mile consistent downgrade. The steepest 9.8% maximum decent is right at the bottom. They have pulled off into our driveway exit to cool brakes. No problem. Rather they do that then go like hell in the remaining stretch.

Boring is beautiful.

I was told that back in 1981 and I stuck by that policy through my entire US Defense career ending in 2015. My CCW is entirely out of sight. I would never walk up to road side strangers without one.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom