Surprise! Your cpu can't run Windows 8.1!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just finished reading all of your posts here on Win 8.1.  It seems that most of you have been successful. Now for the test. Give a try to signing up for Obamacare. LOL.

R

You are too late SoCalToolGuy, MS just pulled the upgrade due to problems:

Microsoft is investigating a situation affecting a limited number of users updating their Windows RT device to Windows RT 8.1. As a result, we have temporarily removed the Windows RT 8.1 update from the Windows Store. We are working to resolve the situation as quickly as possible and apologize for any inconvenience.

http://mashable.com/2013/10/19/microsoft-removes-windows-8-1-update/

Never be in a rush to install an update.

I updated to 8.1 without a problem. But now, i can't use my laserjet 5 printer or my scanjet 3970. Windows 8.1 won't work with either one.

George

cvrvr said:
I updated to 8.1 without a problem. But now, i can't use my laserjet 5 printer or my scanjet 3970. Windows 8.1 won't work with either one.

Almost certainly needs new drivers from HP.  Older devices are unlikely to be supported, however.

We have two HP envy M6 laptops we bought last summer with Win 8 64 bit.

Yesterday my HP software notified me about a Win 8.1 upgrade check. I went to the website and ran it. HP says they have not tested this model with Win 8 and do not recommend an upgrade to Win 8.1.

Item two:
if you have Win 8 and start getting a very annoying Win 8.1 nag blue banner that pops up on your screen there may be an easy way to eliminate it.

Use Regedit (win+r), go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\UpgradeNotification And change the value UpgradeAvailable from 1 to 0

This came from the WindowsEight.com forum and I haven't had it pop up since I did that.
It apparently came with Windows update KB2871389

The first time it popped up (this morning) the only option was to go to the Store to get the upgrade. I had to reboot to get rid of it and it won't let you do anything as long as it is on the screen - including using Task manager to kill the process/program.
The second time it popped up there was a Remind Me Later option that would remove the banner.

I think both of those have generic drivers available for Win8/8.1. You don't necessarily get the nice utilities and neat user interfaces for management, but the basics will likely work. I know Windows installed drivers for all my legacy gear that it detected. There may be more/better stuff available direct from HP Support.

HP lists the support options in this lengthy document. Find your model to see what is available.

HP Support for Win 8.0 and 8.1

Now for the $64000.00 question.....does any one run a MAC with Windows 8.1?

Going to purchase a MAC and run windows on it for windows programs. 

Thanks..

I just up graded but now my printer won't work. I am getting a message that I need to reinstall my printers. I need to talk with my grandkids.

Frank

Now for the $64000.00 question.....does any one run a MAC with Windows 8.1?

Are you talking about running it native, or with OSX?  I see reports of people who ran the pre-release Windows 8 (aka Windows Blue) on Mac hardware, but haven't seen anything about the official 8.1 release on a Mac. I think some people use something like Windows Boot Camp, but Parallels Desktop for Windows apps is also an option.

Yes Gary I have been told that I should use Boot Camp.. I wanted to load 8.1 on a external HD but was told it would not work.  Wondering if someone was running the system the way I want to run it?  Looking for suggestions.  Wanted to use XP but its toast next year.  Just want a stable system for Windows. Could just buy a laptop but just another system.

Jim

I use Parallel's & Windows 7....http://www.parallels.com/.

It is very stable, you can use boot camp which is free, but must reboot computer every time you use it, very inconvenient.

Back
Top Bottom