Sway Control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RobD70

Will there be much difference in trailer sway between a 33 foot travel trailer and a 30 footer? The 30 is  7000 lb GVWR and the 33 is a 8000 lb GVWR. I would of course use a weight distribution hitch with sway control for either. I do not want to get into what tow vehicles here, just potential sway based on size differences. Thanks.

Sway caused by the trailer is usually a result of too little tongue weight.  Weigh the total trailer and the weight at the coupler, it should be between 10 and 15 percent with the higher weight being better.

Of course a larger trailer will have more wind issues.

My read on it is 3 Ft in length, or 1,000# difference is not really a factor.
weight distribution, hitch set-up, trailer axle alignment, trailer axle spacing, wheel base of your tow vehicle, how close you are to the GCVWR and the tow vehicle's axle ratings, etc... are all much more significant variables.  All else being the same, you would never know if the trailer was 3 ft longer or 3 feet shorter.

My 2 cents worth... make sure you are not pushing the upper end of any of your tow vehicle's ratings, and the rest of that stuff can be worked out.  be a good margin under your rated capacities and you'll be in a good place.

and in case you don't know... a really good place to start is to get an actual weight of your truck (assuming it's a truck).  Load it like it would be loaded when you're towing your future trailer....all family and stuff, full gas tank, etc... Get the weights at each axle.  then compare these numbers to the actual capacities for your truck.  Not the brochure number, but the number you'd find in your owner's manual, probably in a chart based on whatever engine, transmission, rear end gearing, etc... that you have.  With that, then you can determine if you have enough capacity for the tongue weight and if you have enough overall combined weight rating.

good luck in your search!

blw2 said:
My read on it is 3 Ft in length, or 1,000# difference is not really a factor.
weight distribution, hitch set-up, trailer axle alignment, trailer axle spacing, wheel base of your tow vehicle, how close you are to the GCVWR and the tow vehicle's axle ratings, etc... are all much more significant variables.  All else being the same, you would never know if the trailer was 3 ft longer or 3 feet shorter.

My 2 cents worth... make sure you are not pushing the upper end of any of your tow vehicle's ratings, and the rest of that stuff can be worked out.  be a good margin under your rated capacities and you'll be in a good place.

and in case you don't know... a really good place to start is to get an actual weight of your truck (assuming it's a truck).  Load it like it would be loaded when you're towing your future trailer....all family and stuff, full gas tank, etc... Get the weights at each axle.  then compare these numbers to the actual capacities for your truck.  Not the brochure number, but the number you'd find in your owner's manual, probably in a chart based on whatever engine, transmission, rear end gearing, etc... that you have.  With that, then you can determine if you have enough capacity for the tongue weight and if you have enough overall combined weight rating.

good luck in your search!

What ^ he said except, get your specific TV specs from the yellow bordered sticker on the drivers door pillar.
Manuals are as generic as the marketing brochures.

Sway is all based on how it's loaded, so a simple answer is, 30 foot fill not sway less or more than a 33 ft travel trailer.  So if your truck is good to tow a 33 foot trailer, sway concerns are not a problem.

Back
Top Bottom