This will be hilarious some day: our blackwater tank fell off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ohiosnowbird

But it’s not funny today.

Mercifully, it was in our front yard, and mercifully our farm tractor will help bury the nasty business of 38 gallons of blackwater. There were only 4 brackets holding the tank to the rig, 1 was missing and 1 came completely loose and was just hanging there. Physics did the rest.

Hearing water hit the ground when you flush is not a good sound to hear - to fellow newb-cakes.

Thor schematic shows a blackwater tank terminating with a 3” female pipe thread fitting, instead there is a 3” piece of straight pipe into the tank, glued and clamped, which failed.
We’ve researched that the 3m marine adhesive is the best thing to use to re-glue it to the tank and we’ve ordered 3 more brackets, for a total of 6 brackets (instead of 4) to hold the tank. In looking at the set up for the grey water tank, we noted similar situation, discharge pipe glued, and worm drive screw clamped, not screwed to the tank and 6 brackets holding the grey tank to the rig.

Is it best to redo it the way it was adding 2 more brackets, or is there another way to fix this?

Thanks.

A 2023 rig? Still in warranty? That's the first I head of that type of problem.

-Don- Mission, TX
2023. Under warranty. We’ve had a number of issues with our brand new rig. Trying to stay positive. Thor has been no help with the other issues, so we’re basically on our own. Dealer is in Huntsville, we’re in SE Ohio. Just glad it didn’t happen driving down the highway. Thor doesn’t seem so good about attaching things properly. Our microwave is hanging on by a thread too. The side panel fell off on our last trip. It’s another project to deal with too. But this seems mor pressing….

I don't mind fixing small should-be-warranty things but a fallen black tank? I'd park that thing right in front of the dealer's building and let them deal with it (of course getting it there might be an issue now). It might take months but the good news is, hopefully they have all winter to work on it. Good luck.

Edit - a couple of ratchet straps hooked to each side of the frame and strung across the bottom, maybe?

I don't mind fixing small should-be-warranty things but a fallen black tank? I'd park that thing right in front of the dealer's building and let them deal with it (of course getting it there might be an issue now). It might take months but the good news is, hopefully they have all winter to work on it. Good luck.

Edit - a couple of ratchet straps hooked to each side of the frame and strung across the bottom, maybe?
Good thought and we’re looking at the ratchet strap fix.

Our thought about the dealer and manufacturer is if they let it out the door this way, they’re not going to get it right if we take it to them.

We live in a small town and we’re off to the local plumbing store where they’ve been helpful with other farm projects. Living off grid, on a farm, in a small town, we’ve learned to fix things along the way!

We feel the 3M marine adhesive should be a good solution as well instead of what was used by the manufacturer. We were hoping this forum might have some solutions as well. Looking for ideas!

That's exactly how I feel about all this. I often fix things myself that are still in warranty, and I do it at my own expense. Cars, RVs, motorcycles, etc. But I do have my limits.

I guess we all know that there is almost no quality control, (if any at all) on new RVs. And a lot of this type of nonsense goes on. This RV is still in warranty also, at least I think it is. But I would rather just do the job myself, in most cases.

And perhaps you heard about my two levelling pads falling off on my first long trip in this RV. Also fixed at my own expense. At least I now know it is done correctly and with permanent Loctite.

So what are your plans? Did you at least try to talk to the dealer?

-Don- Mission, TX

But it’s not funny today.

Mercifully, it was in our front yard, and mercifully our farm tractor will help bury the nasty business of 38 gallons of blackwater. There were only 4 brackets holding the tank to the rig, 1 was missing and 1 came completely loose and was just hanging there. Physics did the rest.

Hearing water hit the ground when you flush is not a good sound to hear - to fellow newb-cakes.

Thor schematic shows a blackwater tank terminating with a 3” female pipe thread fitting, instead there is a 3” piece of straight pipe into the tank, glued and clamped, which failed.
We’ve researched that the 3m marine adhesive is the best thing to use to re-glue it to the tank and we’ve ordered 3 more brackets, for a total of 6 brackets (instead of 4) to hold the tank. In looking at the set up for the grey water tank, we noted similar situation, discharge pipe glued, and worm drive screw clamped, not screwed to the tank and 6 brackets holding the grey tank to the rig.

Is it best to redo it the way it was adding 2 more brackets, or is there another way to fix this?

Thanks.
You could look into galvanized straps.

So what are your plans? Did you at least try to talk to the dealer?

-Don- Mission, TX
The plan right now is to thoroughly clean the pipe and tank fitting points, apply the 3M marine adhesive (takes 24 hours to cure), apply a new clamp we got at the local plumbing store and add additional brackets(go from 4 to 6) using better screws. We’re going to look at additional strapping and anything else anyone suggests.

We’ve hit so many issues with this camper that should have been caught be the dealer (in our opinion) that we don’t have any confidence in what they may do. Also they’re in Huntsville AL and we’re in SE Ohio and our plans to leave on our big adventure is January 1, so that math isn’t working for us. There are so many things not working correctly right now, we feel more confident in our ability to address them on a time schedule we’re good with. It has been disheartening, but at least these things didn’t happen while we were on the road!

I had to replace my broken blade valve while there was still about 10 gallons of "effluent" in the tank. Because the valve was a couple feet under the outside wall of the trailer, in order to do so I had to sit down directly in front of it and just remove the bolts and let it go. Most of it landed in my lap. Fun times...:poop:

I had to replace my broken blade valve while there was still about 10 gallons of "effluent" in the tank. Because the valve was a couple feet under the outside wall of the trailer, in order to do so I had to sit down directly in front of it and just remove the bolts and let it go. Most of it landed in my lap. Fun times...:poop:
At least we’re really getting to know our camper!

So sorry to hear of your misfortune. Are you in an area that would require reporting the, er, hazardous waste spill? Those ramifications could be long-lasting.
st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg

But your positive attitude is admirable! Keep your eyes and your mind open to different approaches and solutions. As others said, straps could be an effective part of the fix.

So sorry to hear of your misfortune. Are you in an area that would require reporting the, er, hazardous waste spill? Those ramifications could be long-lasting.
We applied 4 gallons of bacazap, a commercial bio sanitation liquid(Uses micro-organisms to break down pathogens and turns them into inert material). It gets used a lot in our region. We learned a lot about chemistry, biology and physics while we were farmers! We’re in the middle of 400 acres of wooded farmland. Where cow manure, pig manure, chemical fertilizer and pesticides have been applied for years. There’s also an active outhouse and septic field!

I know your pain. My 2022 Keystone 5th wheel spent 8 trips for warranty work the 1st 12 months of ownership. Most newer RV’s are slapped together and sent to dealers. Junk. My next RV will be pre 2017 if I do upgrade.

We applied 4 gallons of bacazap, a commercial bio sanitation liquid(Uses micro-organisms to break down pathogens and turns them into inert material). It gets used a lot in our region. We learned a lot about chemistry, biology and physics while we were farmers! We’re in the middle of 400 acres of wooded farmland. Where cow manure, pig manure, chemical fertilizer and pesticides have been applied for years. There’s also an active outhouse and septic field!
I was stationed at a converted airfield just outside Wiesbaden, Germany for four years. We were surrounded by beet fields, every spring the farmers would fertilze with liquified pig manure. It got aromatic at times.

Mercifully, it was in our front yard, and mercifully our farm tractor will help bury the nasty business of 38 gallons of blackwater.

I would be very tempted to drop that 38 gallons on the dealers doorstep. That is atrocious.

It's got me thinking that if I ever buy new I am gonna driveway camp at the dealer for a month and every potential customer that shows up I will take them on a tour of my screwed up house.

Back
Top Bottom