This will be hilarious some day: our blackwater tank fell off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a black tank tale. Our starter coach was a 2010 Pace Arrow. It had a Vacu-Flush toilet. They move the contents of the toilet bowl to the black tank when the toilet cannot be located above the black tank and a gravity toilet used.

I blame Indiana’s highways for our problem, not Fleetwood. We hit a patch of really rough road on I-70 with no warning… bouncing to where I nearly lost control (and probably lost some fillings). The tank didn’t fall completely off, but a bracket gave out and the tank dropped to the sheet metal that enclosed our tanks and plumbing; breaking the inlet fitting to the tank.

This all unbeknownst to us. The Vacu-Flush toilet continued to empty the contents of the bowl, but now into the space between the floor and the sheet metal where tanks and plumbing reside. Because of the proximity of the broken fitting’s (now two) parts to each other, some of the flush did go into the black tank… so the issue went unnoticed. After a couple of months, we started to notice a smell. The sheet metal that formed the bottom of our new ‘holding tank’ allowed liquid to dribble out, leaving a thick sludge. (I have pictures that are too disgusting to share.)

Hats off to Countryman’s Marine and RV Services in Foley, AL. They cut access panels, cleaned out all the sh*t, figured out and fixed the problem.

We had an extended service agreement at the time. They didn’t cover this. I saw the email they sent to Countryman’s saying the agreement didn’t cover “bracketology”(!).

Just thought I’d share my black tank tale to maybe make you feel better (if that’s even possible; our story was in 2018… we’re not laughing yet).
Thanks. I was pretty sure we weren’t the only ones. Sorry for your luck?! We’ve had so many things fail with this brand new rig. We thought we were going to avoid headaches buying new. Silly us.

Thanks. I was pretty sure we weren’t the only ones. Sorry for your luck?! We’ve had so many things fail with this brand new rig. We thought we were going to avoid headaches buying new. Silly us.
Yeah… Sorry about YOUR luck!.. I’ve seen some posts.. a real shame! Your attitude is seriously inspiring !
SE Ohio, btw, is flat out beautiful… few people hot from Ohio get to know it even exists. Where are you? I’m familiar with Logan and Athens counties. O! H!

Those bolts under tension appear to be a bad solution. In the open holes it doesn't appear that there is any wood backing behind the fiberglass and the fiberglass looks pretty thin.

If I had to repair this type of install I would seriously consider adding more brackets to share the tension loads.
They are a bad solution and you’re right, there was no wood or any blocking. Thin metal. We got some better brackets(we think) from a place further midwest and increased the number of them from 4 to 5. There was no place to put the 6th one we purchased. There’s also an additional strap on that pipe fix. Hubby thinks it‘s repaired, or, “at least it’s better than it was”. When he can snap some photos he will and I’ll post to hopefully close this out and maybe help someone else. We’re now dealing with a dead generator so all attention is there right now.

Yeah… Sorry about YOUR luck!.. I’ve seen some posts.. a real shame! Your attitude is seriously inspiring !
SE Ohio, btw, is flat out beautiful… few people hot from Ohio get to know it even exists. Where are you? I’m familiar with Logan and Athens counties. O! H!
Adams County. It is beautiful here. We love it.

I would file a complaint with the NRVIA and the coach Mfgr. The regulations state the support must be adequate to support the weight of a full tank while driving.
Hi. Thanks. My husband was an ASHI Certified Home Inspector so this is a good idea to quote regs and file a complaint. We just didn’t think there’d be such serious issues with a new rig. Hindsight, we should have had it inspected but I’m not so sure an inspector would have found this issue. We feel fortunate that we can handle/address on our own, these hits that keep coming.

Hi. Thanks. My husband was an ASHI Certified Home Inspector so this is a good idea to quote regs and file a complaint. We just didn’t think there’d be such serious issues with a new rig. Hindsight, we should have had it inspected but I’m not so sure an inspector would have found this issue. We feel fortunate that we can handle/address on our own, these hits that keep coming.
I agree, it's unlikely an inspection would have detected an issue there and it's likely that missing bracket didn't go missing until you were on the road somewhere. We've only had our MH two years and I've learned it's not if, but when another issue will come up. Patience helps too.

We wanted to post a photo of the actual culprit of this “event”. One bracket fell off and the other detached. This photo is after we reattached the one bracket. We have upgraded these brackets, and when/if the ground ever dries out we’ll take photos of the better brackets we installed. We also added another stap to support the pipe that detached, again, when it dries out we’ll snap a photo to close this issue out for anyone else who may hit this. View attachment 169568
In addition to what you’ve done, I would remove every outside bolt leaving the center bolt on each bracket. Then run a piece of 2” wide X 1/4” thick piece of flat bar running over the bracket from one bolt on the first bracket to the center bolt on the next bracket. Use several lag bolts to hold the flat bar to the floor material. Do this the entire length of the tank.

They are a bad solution and you’re right, there was no wood or any blocking. Thin metal. We got some better brackets(we think) from a place further midwest and increased the number of them from 4 to 5.

I wonder if there is any space on the for side of the fiberglass for a butterfly type lag screw like for hanging pictures in drywall.

I wonder if there is any space on the for side of the fiberglass for a butterfly type lag screw like for hanging pictures in drywall.
Toggle bolt - the drawback is you have to drill a 5/8" hole for a 1/4" bolt. They also have what are called molly bolts that have an external sleeve that expands as you tighten the screw into place.

1701973515653.jpeg

Agree but you would be distributing the load over a larger area than basically a screw.
Oh, absolutely better than just a screw by itself. For the proposed use here it would be fine. I don't use them for picture-hanging because of the extra damage they do to the drywall, which I will eventually have to patch.

He looked at both types and said “if it fails again the we have a bigger hole”. He’s looking at installing blocking. We’re going to be replacing the shower which is almost above the blackwater tank. There’s metal framing alongside the tank, but nothing opposite. This is where, I think I understand, the blocking will go along with, he hopes a metal bar that will span between existing framing. Thanks for kicking this around!

In addition to what you’ve done, I would remove every outside bolt leaving the center bolt on each bracket. Then run a piece of 2” wide X 1/4” thick piece of flat bar running over the bracket from one bolt on the first bracket to the center bolt on the next bracket. Use several lag bolts to hold the flat bar to the floor material. Do this the entire length of the tank.
Thanks! We’ll look at this as well.

To close this little nightmare out for anyone else who experiences it. Photos of the current scenario:
ABF55897-12DC-49B0-A70A-6C5C97D34B25.jpeg
How it looked previously:
9FFB7474-02BF-47FF-9538-4DB6BA3C7AFD.jpeg
strap placed on pipe that failed and detached from blackwater tank(causing the spill ): F0F2C28C-04E9-4D38-ACAA-2728C531812F.jpeg

That strap is a Frankenstein combo of a plumbing strap and a muffler strap joined together. You can see where/how it’s attached in the first photo. It was the only place there was something under the plastic surface to attach solidly.

We plan to replace the shower in the future which is when we’ll revisit this issue to install blocking to be able add strapping like @Rene T advised.

Advice to anyone purchasing a new Thor Class C, have your inspector verify there’s 6 brackets on the tank. Thor schematic specified 6, there were 4 on ours. One wiggled loose because it was not secured to anything, one was just hanging there and this failure caused the waste-line to detach from the tank. The additional strap added was to help stop the wasteline from detaching should this fail agin.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help us! We really appreciate the knowledge base here.

To close this little nightmare out for anyone else who experiences it. Photos of the current scenario:
View attachment 169768
How it looked previously:
View attachment 169769
strap placed on pipe that failed and detached from blackwater tank(causing the spill ): View attachment 169770

That strap is a Frankenstein combo of a plumbing strap and a muffler strap joined together. You can see where/how it’s attached in the first photo. It was the only place there was something under the plastic surface to attach solidly.

We plan to replace the shower in the future which is when we’ll revisit this issue to install blocking to be able add strapping like @Rene T advised.

Advice to anyone purchasing a new Thor Class C, have your inspector verify there’s 6 brackets on the tank. Thor schematic specified 6, there were 4 on ours. One wiggled loose because it was not secured to anything, one was just hanging there and this failure caused the waste-line to detach from the tank. The additional strap added was to help stop the wasteline from detaching should this fail agin.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help us! We really appreciate the knowledge base here.
I realize this is after the fact, but that's what perforated strap is designed to do. Just wrap the pipe and secure the loop with a stove bolt and nut. It's how abs is suspended under manufactured homes.

I'm late to this post, but.....We pick up our new motorhome Friday.....a Thor.....from a Huntsville dealer....I am betting it's the same one. They have been easy to work with on the sale, which, of course they all are.....But I would love to hear more about your after sale experience, if you don't mind. Feel free to message rather than post, if you like. Just curious.

This isn't our first new camper, we've bought two before, brand new over the years, and like many, I usually end up just doing stuff myself, warranty or no, just to avoid the hassle, headache, and the "sure we can get you in our next appointment is on Monday, December 2 2026" but would like to know how the particular Huntsville Thor dealer is, once the check clears....Thanks!

I usually end up just doing stuff myself, warranty or no, just to avoid the hassle, headache, and the "sure we can get you in our next appointment is on Monday, December 2 2026" but would like to know how the particular Huntsville Thor dealer is, once the check clears.
This is how we have been about it. We haven’t dealt with the dealer in Huntsville since our purchase as we are in Ohio.

As for the list of defects, lengthy. Things you would think should be OK got past Thor and the dealer. It’s why we didn’t trust them to make it “right” by taking it there. We haven’t decided how we are going to address/present this list of, some pretty serious defects to them. Since we’ve had this experience, we’ve realized there are certified inspectors (my husband was a home inspector) who will take a look at RV systems prior to writing that check. We’d recommend hiring one. It’s well worth the investment as some of the repairs/improvements have been quite costly.

Yeah, I get it. RV’s are just that way. Hell, I don’t know how they even sell them so cheap. The whole thing, E-450 chassis, and RV with all the systems, furniture, bed, tv electronics, generator etc etc etc, is cheaper than the F-350 we were looking at. From that perspective, I guess I’m still coming out ahead. Which model did you get? We pick up our 28a from Bankston motor homes Friday.

I had to replace my broken blade valve while there was still about 10 gallons of "effluent" in the tank. Because the valve was a couple feet under the outside wall of the trailer, in order to do so I had to sit down directly in front of it and just remove the bolts and let it go. Most of it landed in my lap. Fun times...:poop:
Oh my god

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom