towing lifted truck with rv

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chevy24

I have a 1990 30ft bounder motor home. I want to tow my 92 gmc step side with an 8in lift on 38.5in swampers with a tow bar. any idea if this would work?

Two potential issues:
1. The big tires and lifts change the front end geometry of the truck considerably. Caster & camber, for example. You need a fair amount of caster effect to keep the towed vehicle tracking behind the coach and you may not have what is best for towing. Wide and/or soft tires can also make towing problems.

2. The tow bar has to be level or very slightly angled down from coach to toad. With a high lift vehicle, that's going to require a substantially raised hitch receiver to compensate. A hitch "riser" is used to produce the required positioning - see the link below.
http://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=hitch+riser&x=7&y=6&furl=

To add to Gary's information, I am assuming your 1990 30' Bounder is a gas engine.  If so, you will need to verify weights.  Often a gas engine RV is only able to pull 5,000 lbs or less.  And, you will need to check the hitch, it might only be rated for 3,000 lbs.

Marsha~

Do you have an owners manual? You need to know if the transmission, transfer case, etc. are capable. The transmission is usually the limiting factor. Very Generally, manuals are ok but automatics are not. There is a web site that lists vehicles that are towable and what it takes if they are not. Try www.remicoindustries.com.
Good luck, good health and safe travels!

If your rig can handle the weights etc. wouldn't it be better to put the truck on a flat bed trailer?

It's doubtful that your Class A is heavy enough engine, suspension and brakes to tow such a heavy truck on a trailer. 

You'd need a much larger diesel pusher with serious horsepower to consider hauling such a unit.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Mark
Back
Top Bottom