Trike Carrier for Class A motorhome?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cynphony

We have an 05 Dolphin, and I need a carrier for the back of it, that will hold a 65 pound, folding, adult Trike. (3 wheel bike) I have no idea what I should be looking for. I've seen so many pictures, and I'm totally confused. I just don't understand what is needed? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Edited to add: It's me Cynthia, that needs to tackle this project....not my husband! lol  Hope someone has some advice. Thanks!

You have a lot of options, but you didnt give us much to go on.

Will you use it while pulling a Toad?

What make and model of trike?

Does it need to have loading ramps or can you lift it up on to the carrier? Another option is a hydralic lift style.

Let us know what you think you may want the lift to do and we can be a little more help.

Here is a scooter carrier i use to haul my scooter around with. it might work for a trike.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003E2WQE4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you all for your responses, and the links!  :)

captsteve: It's a folding trike, made by Worksman. It weighs 65 pounds, and folded, measures 32 x 30 x 29.5.  Even folded, it's too large to fit in any of our basement storage areas, nor will it fit through the door, to get it inside. My husband can easily lift it, but I can't.
We don't pull a Toad....so just need something that can attach to the back of our Class A motorhome, to carry it.  Thanks for any suggestions!

I think Oscar Mike has the best recommendation so far. Your trike is completely different from the ones that my wife and I have. Both of ours are recumbent tadpole types and we mount one on the ladder using a double bike holder rack made for ladder mounting, and suspend it from the double wheel axle and the single wheel towards the bottom and secure it with straps. The rack was purchased from camping world and has served us well for the last three years. The other trike is mounted on a double bike rack mounted on the trunk of the car with the two wheel axle mounted in the rack and the single wheel sitting on the rear window and tied down with straps to secure it.

Lee

I do like the one Oscar Mike linked to.....but darn, it costs more than the trike!!  :eek:  If that's the best option, than will have to go for it. I like things that are simple and easy to operate, this looks like it would be.

Cynthia

How about something like a hitch mounted cargo carrier. There are many variations of this for under $100 that will carry up to 500 lbs. You could fold the trike up and just tie it down. Not as pretty but you could modify to fit your needs etc.
http://www.discountramps.com/hitch-mounted-cargo-carrier.htm?CAWELAID=1441979259&catargetid=1389811204&cadevice=c&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CK-a-PHfurkCFY9xQgodXxoA-g

Hi, just read your request for a hitch mounted trike rack, try google Draft Master bike hitches.  We have one mounted on the receiver of our 2012 Winn. Journey.

Thanks so much for all of these options! I had no idea where to start, and you have all been really helpful!!  8)

The trike that you hang on the back of your toad.  Can you send me a picture how you do that?  My wife is deathly afraid that she will crack her skull if she doesn't have three wheels under her.  Probably a good choice for her.  We have found one that she really likes but I can't figure out how to mount it on our bike carrier.  We have a ladder style for my back.  We also have a two bike carrier for our toad - a Honda Fit.  I would be interested in seeing how you carry your trike on the car mount.  Thanks.

I thought I wanted a tricycle, but I ended up with a Day 6 two-wheeled bicycle which is so super easy to ride. Your seat is closer to the ground so that you can put both feet on the ground without leaving your seat which also has a comfy seat back. I have 3 baskets on mine, so I can carry more cargo than most trikes.

For carrying your trike on the rear of your motorhome, an aluminum cargo carrier with several of  the 64 inch Nite-Ize gear ties, they are rubber over metal that form to twist and fit anything making it secure,

https://www.amazon.com/Nite-Ize-GT64-01-R6-64-Inch-Black/dp/B00HUC2UKE/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1482705037&sr=8-1&keywords=64+inch+nite+ize+gear+ties&linkCode=ll1&tag=recreationalvehicles-20&linkId=e9bfba74caed44606edff885b3562442

Just for grins... here's my Day 6 bicycle picture.

Attachments

• my Day 6 bicycle with extras.jpg
    my Day 6 bicycle with extras.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 28
I have one of these that I used on my MH and pick up.  http://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-capacity-aluminum-mobility-wheelchair-and-scooter-carrier-69687.html

I bought it used from a guy that had some aluminum plate added to the ramp and deck. I just run my mobility scooter right up and fasten it with a ratchet strap. They also have just a carrier with out the ramp, pretty reasonable.

We have a Sun Trike and a Sun two wheel.  I wanted to carry them on the back of our TT.  I designed my own carrier.  I bought 3 of these https://www.amazon.com/Swagman-RV-2-Bumper-Adaptor/dp/B00174ZHGU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1483271688&sr=8-4&keywords=bolt+on+hitch+receiver+for+rv  (price has gone up I see)

I then put our spare tire mount in one on the driver side extreme left.  One in the center with an old 2 bike swagman bike carrier.  https://www.amazon.com/Swagman-Cross-Country-2-Bike-2-Inch-Receiver/dp/B0001VO1YY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483271881&sr=8-1&keywords=swagman+bike+rack  (We had this already).

Then on the right I bought 36" of 2" tube steel.  I had a welder weld some "U" steel channel on top of it the distance of my Sun Trike's rear wheels had chain links added too so I could lock a chain through the rear wheels of the trike.  The front wheel fit into one of the loops of the Swagman Bike Carrier on the inside position and the 2 Wheel Sun fit on the outside pair like normal.  It has carried our Trike and 2 wheel easily back and forth from Iowa to Yuma twice and we are leaving in 10 days to do it again.

Attachments

• sun_ez1_lg.jpg
    sun_ez1_lg.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 8
  • sun_ez3_lg.jpg
    sun_ez3_lg.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 7
Here are a couple of pics of my Recumbent Bike and Trike Carrier on the back of our trailer.

Attachments

• Winter Ice 036.JPG
    Winter Ice 036.JPG
    201.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Winter Ice 037.JPG
    Winter Ice 037.JPG
    319.4 KB · Views: 17
Back
Top Bottom