Trip to Bourbon Street

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmaxx2007

Hello All! We are thinking about planning a trip to Bourbon Street next year with our class a motorhome. Has anyone stayed at any if the rv parks close to there? We will be traveling from the Poconos, Pa. Any advise will be appreciated!

From years working out of N.O area, just make sure wherever you go has security and that includes where you park your car. Anything you leave unlocked or unguarded in N.O. means you don’t want it.

I have always stayed in hotels when in New Orleans, I second the bit about security. We were there in January (my wife had a work conference at the Morial convention center) it was a 1 mile walk from our hotel to Bourbon Street, in the 3 or 4 days we were there I saw at least 3 cars with their windows broken out and glass on the pavement parked on the street within a block of our hotel (we opted for valet parking, though even that doe not mean much, one day while we were there the police responded to an incident in the valet only parking garage, and the time before that when I was in New Orleans the roof of my car was dented while valet parked. I did not walk Bourbon street in the evening, but did walk down it around noon on Sunday, few places were open, but the stench of vomit was strong.

I highly recommend the French Quarter RV Resort. It is expensive, but well-worth the convenience and security. It is within walking distance (about 6 blocks) of tBourbon Street. Even walking back to the MH at night we felt safe, as there are others staying at the RV resort walking nearby. Getting into the French Quarter when driving is kinda hard, so ask for specific directions from I 10 when making reservations, which are almost required.
Last time we stayed there, a group of Prevost MH's were there for a Saints home game. If we hadn't made reservations we would have been out of luck.
Oh, forget about your diet, the food is excellent and plentiful.

Last edited:
Ray-IN says, "Getting into the French Quarter when driving is kinda hard,..."

Yeah. Streets in the quarter are almost as wide as the average Class A.

Ever think of staying a bit out of the French Quarter and taking an Uber/Lyft into the area you want to visit? Or maybe a tour?

Me? I won't stay in the French Quarter. My cousin and her cousin witnessed a vicious murder out their apartment window one night back in the early 70's and left the next day to come home to FL. It scared them badly and they were used to living in rough areas. From what I understand from people who lived and worked there, it hasn't improved much. But then I'm not really into big cities or the bar scene. I find smaller towns more accessible and the food is often much better. I avoid the drunks in my own family, I definitely avoid drunks I don't know.

I also don't walk around ABQ at night either. It's pretty vicious and seems to be getting worse. Come to think of it, I don't wander around Roswell much at night. It's getting much worse on shootings and stabbings.

As for viewing a Mardis Gras parade, my husband and I ran across a great one. It was held in St. Andrews near Panama City, FL and was quite large but family friendly. I came away with two plastic grocery bags full of those cheap bead necklaces and never had to bare my boobs. At the time I had an impressive looking digital camera. I got some great shots of the parade. I think they thought I was a professional because they kept tossing me lots of beaded necklaces. It was a great parade. Official Mardi Gras parade and festival of Panama City, Florida

We made reservations for April 2024 for the New Orleans RV Resort and Marina. We will Uber or Lyft to the places we want to go.

Ray-IN says, "Getting into the French Quarter when driving is kinda hard,..."

Yeah. Streets in the quarter are almost as wide as the average Class A.
Sorry, I was addressing getting into the French Quarter RV Resort. Naw, I'l never attempt to drive and RV into that section of NOLA. Shoot, those streets are about as wide as the sidewalks in some Western cities.

Hello All! We are thinking about planning a trip to Bourbon Street next year with our class a motorhome. Has anyone stayed at any if the rv parks close to there? We will be traveling from the Poconos, Pa. Any advise will be appreciated!
We've visited NOLA a couple of times. Given we stay almost exclusively in Public Parks (State/County/COE etc) two parks I can recommend for visiting that area are both state parks: Bayou Segnette State Park and St. Bernard State Park. Both very nice parks.

From Bayou Segnette you have to cross the Mississippi to get to town, but rather than driving in we prefer to leave the car near Algiers Ferry and take the ferrry ride across the Mississippi in. Costs a buck as I remember and is a really pleasant, scenic short ride into the French Quarter area of NOLA.

St. Bernard State Park is on the NOLA side of the river so you can drive into town and park at any one of dozens of parking lots-- for a pretty hefty fee.

Also, if you plan to be in the area for any length of time you might want to check out their Le Pass app that lets you buy bus, streetcar, and ferry tickets. Works great.

Last I checked Bayou Segnette State park is still closed with no ETA on when the RV park would re-open, first it was used as a Covid isolation camp / response center in 2020 then it was heavily damaged by the hurricane a couple of years ago.

Last I checked Bayou Segnette State park is still closed with no ETA on when the RV park would re-open, first it was used as a Covid isolation camp / response center in 2020 then it was heavily damaged by the hurricane a couple of years ago.
Hmmm... I don't see any indication of the park being closed. Logged into the LA Park system and it let me make an RV reservation.

We were there in 2019 and 2020, the latter being just around the time Covid was starting to hit. We somehow managed to survive the Mardi Gras madness and stay healthy.

Bourbon street is a shiithole by any measure. Modern day Sodom and Gomorrah. No place to be after dark. It’s gotten awful in the last three years.

Superior Seafood in the garden district is exceptional. Tons of great food and culture. River boat rides rock. Cafe du mond for coffee and beignet’s.

Stay safe. travel in groups. Don’t be in the rough areas after dark.

Stayed at St. Bernard's last winter when temperatures forced us all the way down I-55. It's a nice, quiet park and we will very likely stay there again.
Not real close to Bourbon St, but that's a good thing.

Frankly; I'd recommend you consider blowing off NO and go to keywest FL instead. Duval street is close to what Burbon street would be if you cleaned it up (especially around Halloween). And my comparisons are to Burban st as was years ago. I hear its even worse today

Ernie

Two months before I went into the Army in 1982, a friend of mine (a little older) took me to Bourbon Street in New Orleans. We stayed at a nearby motel. We weren't camping. But THAT was one of those experiences that will forever be etched in my memory! Ah..... the bars and the entertainment for adults only (get my drift) ... was incredible for a single young guy about to be hauled off the face of the map for Uncle Sam!

And then a couple years later, I found myself at Camp Casey, South Korea and discovered the French Quarter and the entertainment paled in comparison to the stuff that was going on in the little vill called Dongducheon! There were places the American GI's were not permitted to go! I went anyway! Alone, and no one ever knew! What a mind blowing place!

Bourbon Street prepared me for all of this. Glad we did that trip! I've never regreted it.

I haven't been to the French Quarter for 20+ years and at my last visit it had already run downhill. I'm a fan of Dixieland & New Orleans Jazz style music but many of the music clubs and musicians were already gone. And the "adult entertainment" clubs had gone well beyond sleezy! But if it's Mardi Gras events you want to see, you don't have to go to Bourbon St at all - the parades run thru downtown NO.

I highly recommend the French Quarter RV Resort. It is expensive, but well-worth the convenience and security. It is within walking distance (about 6 blocks) of tBourbon Street.

We made reservations for April 2024 for the New Orleans RV Resort and Marina.
We made reservations for the French Quarter RV Resort.

We are going in May 2024.

@SMR , I will be looking forward to your April report and recommendations! Will you be attending the Jazz Fest?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom