Trip to Bourbon Street

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anyone know who makes the best oyster or catfish po boy in New Orleans?
Acme oyster house.. They farm their own oysters..
Check out their menu on line. Its the only place I would ever eat oysters on the half shell...

Safe travels and all the best.

We’re going to Louisiana in March and skipping New Orleans. Better things to see and do. Here’s our starting list:
Avery Island, Louisiana
Breaux Bridge
Lake Martin
Natchitoches

We also have a goal to try these (some new to us) foods: bbq, boudin balls, meat pies, beignets, pralines, STEEN'S SYRUP (Nan Boones’ Syrup Cake – Gâteau de Sirop) tabasco, Crawfish,

My research shows Dec-April is low mosquito season.

Two camp grounds we’re looking at

Palmetto Island State Park
Grand Ecore RV Park

Anyone got other tips about this area?
There’s but one way to eat Steen’s, drag a biscuit through it.

In 2017 we spent 2 months in Breaux Bridge at the Cajun Palms Resort.
We did several Mardi Gras parades including one in Lafayette.
We had a great time at the Bayou Teche Brewing, enjoyed some good food at little big cup and The Olde Time Grocery in Lafayette, they were all recommended by locals and did not disappoint.
We did Avery Island 2 times, 2nd time when my MIL visited.
We did a swamp tour that was great and many hikes all over the area.
At the campground we became friends with several other couples, 2 that were local, so we had so many great recommendations for food and fun. Did several crawfish boils including one at the campground.
We even purchased our current trailer in Lafayette.

Ray-IN says, "Getting into the French Quarter when driving is kinda hard,..."

Yeah. Streets in the quarter are almost as wide as the average Class A.
Aw, don't exaggerate.

I drove this 40-foot motorhome with 12-foot UHaul trailer through the French Quarter back in 2004 (had to have a permit from the city to enter the Quarter in a vehicle over 31 feet):

RV + trailer.jpg

Here's the view while driving down Toulouse:

RV on Toulouse.jpg

Actually, I drove into the Quarter twice: first to drop off the contents of the trailer, and second to pick up the contents.

Crossing Bourbon Street was the worst part because people don't pay any attention to vehicles, except to yell at drivers and slap their fenders if they get in the pedestrians' way. But said pedestrians were quite nice to me, probably assuming I had enough problems already.

My first foray was made more complex by the guy I was meeting yammering into his cell phone while standing on the corner, somehow NOT SEEING ME despite my being pretty darn noticeable, and honking my horn. So I had to make the block, and fortunately he noticed me the second time I loomed.

My second foray was made more complex by having a large motorcycle and a small car parked in the loading zone I was permitted to use, so I had to leave the Quarter and set up to make another pass. And then my planned route out was thwarted by a big construction project that closed down the westbound interstate going out of town, with no detour signs. That resulted in two hours of parading around New Orleans before GPSes, battling one traffic jam after another.

And speaking of parades, I ended up on St. Charles and the shuttle bus from the KOA had gone down that street the day before, so I knew it would end up there. Yay! What I didn't know was there was a St. Patrick's Day parade on St. Charles that day; fortunately the parade was on the eastbound side of the street, so I could drive on the westbound side, dodging the milling parade-goers.

RV on St. Charles.jpg

What a trip.

This is gonna come off a little negative Nellie but I had a younger colleague from NO who's family actually has an apartment in the quarter. He kept inviting me down for Mardi Gras.

I love Beale Street and Rush Street and in my early 60's would go back to them n a heartbeat. Mostly for the music.

I watch a lot of 3rd watch/ER/EMS type reality stuff and there was a season on NO. It just looked like lots of stabbings, fights and chaos. Maybe in my 30's I should have gone but in my 60's, I am just not interested to be among that many drunk people.

I also think there are probably a lot better places to involve myself in Cajun and Louisiana culture.

Ex-Calif, there is relatively little Cajun culture in New Orleans, most of cajun culture can be found in the central southern part of Louisiana, mostly south of I-10, though a bit of it can be found north of Lafayette as well as far north as Marksville. Basically if you want Cajun culture it can be found within the triangle bounded by Marksville to the north, Cameron to the southwest, and Grand Isle to the south east, excluding Lafayette, which is where all the people from out of state live. There is some spill over outside this area, but Cajuns are by far in the minority outside this triangle, even inside this triangle Cajuns tend to be a minority.

So........the BIL is thinking about getting a puppy and kinda hinted via a text to me from his wife about keeping it in our camper for the 7 nights and days we are going to be there.
When they ask directly I will say politely no.
I really don't want to take care of a 4 month old puppy.

Ex-Calif, there is relatively little Cajun culture in New Orleans, most of cajun culture can be found in the central southern part of Louisiana, mostly south of I-10, though a bit of it can be found north of Lafayette as well as far north as Marksville. Basically if you want Cajun culture it can be found within the triangle bounded by Marksville to the north, Cameron to the southwest, and Grand Isle to the south east, excluding Lafayette, which is where all the people from out of state live. There is some spill over outside this area, but Cajuns are by far in the minority outside this triangle, even inside this triangle Cajuns tend to be a minority.
If you've lived in La., you know too there is a line of cultural demarcation running E to W with Alexandria at its midpoint. South of that line is one La., North of it is an entire other, more like Arkansas. A person in Monroe wouldn't know a Pistolette if you pointed one out, get a mile S. of Alex and they're under a heat lamp at every gas station.

Yeah - It's only by spending a fair amount of time in a state that you even start to get a feel for regional culturalization.

I had a good friend oil worker in Malaysia and we hung out a lot. I got a flavor of the culture during weekend parties at their house. Fun people, great food.

If you ever get a chance to visit the area on Christmas eve, one of my favorite memories is driving north on river road, along the Mississippi to Baton Rouge. There were literally hundreds of families along the levee, for miles, each with their own huge bonfire. They were celebrating Santa, on his barge being towed down the river by his eight alligators. Never saw the barge but there was a lot of partying going on. (y)

Safe travels and all the best.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom