Trip to Bourbon Street

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Frankly; I'd recommend you consider blowing off NO and go to keywest FL instead. Duval street is close to what Burbon street would be if you cleaned it up (especially around Halloween). And my comparisons are to Burban st as was years ago. I hear its even worse today

Ernie
Mobile is not bad either, in fact their Marco Gras predates NO’s

Ahhh, you guys are really making me feel good about our visit to NO Feb. 26-29. Staying at Jude Travel Park which I understand isn't the best of CGs, but is supposed to be safe and only about a $20 Uber ride into town. Going with camping friends who were in NO last May, their third visit to NO so will be relying on them as tour guides where to and not to go.

We made reservations for the French Quarter RV Resort.

We are going in May 2024.

@SMR , I will be looking forward to your April report and recommendations! Will you be attending the Jazz Fest?
The reason we are going is for my MIL's 85th birthday, she wanted to do something in NOLA. I won't be attending JazzFest. Not sure what we will be doing, going to start planning that next month a few weeks before we go.

Been there a number of times. 35 years ago it was a still a pretty great place to visit. Brennans, Court of Two Sisters and Cafe Du monde were a couple of my favorites. It used to be nice to stroll around and hit small jazz bars that were everywhere. Last trip there was some 14 years ago, and I decided to scratch it off of my "places to go" list.
Many of the Jazz bars have closed. Jello shots being sold by sidewalk vendors to drunks, and druggies using needles, were enough for me.!

Starting at Canal st and staying between Dauphine street and the river and not going further than St Peters street, during the day would probably be the safest area to visit.

Safe travels and all the best.

Ahhh, you guys are really making me feel good about our visit to NO Feb. 26-29. Staying at Jude Travel Park which I understand isn't the best of CGs, but is supposed to be safe and only about a $20 Uber ride into town. Going with camping friends who were in NO last May, their third visit to NO so will be relying on them as tour guides where to and not to go.
Keep your wallet in your front pocket and stay on the main streets, do not wander off the beaten path. Encourage your wife to leave her purse behind. The food is good though.

Keep your wallet in your front pocket and stay on the main streets, do not wander off the beaten path. Encourage your wife to leave her purse behind. The food is good though.
That's pretty much common sense advice in nearly every city in the world. (Well, except for the food, maybe)

Anyone know who makes the best oyster or catfish po boy in New Orleans?

Okay, Thanks for the tip,

but what is past St. Peter's Street?
The last time I was there, the area really got dicey.
Lots of drugged out people and needles...
The advice about staying on the main streets was good advice.

Daytime is much safer than after dark..
Safe travels and all the best

We’re going to Louisiana in March and skipping New Orleans. Better things to see and do. Here’s our starting list:
Avery Island, Louisiana
Breaux Bridge
Lake Martin
Natchitoches

We also have a goal to try these (some new to us) foods: bbq, boudin balls, meat pies, beignets, pralines, STEEN'S SYRUP (Nan Boones’ Syrup Cake – Gâteau de Sirop) tabasco, Crawfish,

My research shows Dec-April is low mosquito season.

Two camp grounds we’re looking at

Palmetto Island State Park
Grand Ecore RV Park

Anyone got other tips about this area?

Anyone know who makes the best oyster or catfish po boy in New Orleans?
Southerners like their catfish muddy, if you get real catfish. A lot of restaurants serve swai and call it catfish.
A good catfish is 2-3 lbs, caught on a hook from a known fairly clean lake. Early in the year before the water gets too warm.
Now I'm hungry.

We’re going to Louisiana in March and skipping New Orleans. Better things to see and do. Here’s our starting list:
Avery Island, Louisiana
Breaux Bridge
Lake Martin
Natchitoches

We also have a goal to try these (some new to us) foods: bbq, boudin balls, meat pies, beignets, pralines, STEEN'S SYRUP (Nan Boones’ Syrup Cake – Gâteau de Sirop) tabasco, Crawfish,

My research shows Dec-April is low mosquito season.

Two camp grounds we’re looking at

Palmetto Island State Park
Grand Ecore RV Park

Anyone got other tips about this area?
We lived in Louisiana twice for a total of about 6 years. Natchitoches meat pies are good and beignets are great but you need to go to Cafe Du Monde in New Orleans to get the best ones. You have have some Etouffe, Jambalaya, gumbo, red beans and rice with sausage.

For some reason my mouth isn't watering, LOL!

Now, jambalaya, gumbo, red beans and rice, are all some of my favorites! Ironic, as we are in the final stages of getting ready for our departure on Saturday AM my DW and I have been prepping some food dishes to freeze for quick meals. Last week DW suggested why don't you make some gumbo, without thinking we are going to be in the land of gumbo at the end of the month. I must admit, mine did come out good with the only fault I used a VG local smoked Polish sausage instead of good andouille.

Back
Top Bottom