Very Important question - COFFEE!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ochidoc

THis may seem like a very trivial question to some - but its almost life or death for us! 

We are about to embark on our first overnight RV trip and have a very serious issue.....How do you make a pot of coffee on the road??  Doesnt the pot slide around?  Creative solutions anyone? 

Thanks.

We are morning coffee drinkers and just got a Chemex drip coffee maker so we do not have to run the Generator early in the morning to make coffee. The added bonus is it is the best coffee we have ever drank. http://www.amazon.com/Chemex-Drip-Coffee-Carafe-Cup/dp/B000I1WP7W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1305762576&sr=8-1

We pack it carefully in a towel inside the oven. I know that sounds like an accident waiting to happen, but we don't use the oven - ever. It holds various things like tupperware and now our coffee pot.

When we can't, or don't want to, run the generator, we just heat up a pan of water on the stove and pour it into the filter basket through the top of our $12 Mr. Coffee drip machine. :)

ochidoc said:
We are about to embark on our first overnight RV trip and have a very serious issue.....How do you make a pot of coffee on the road??  Doesnt the pot slide around?  Creative solutions anyone? 

Our usual procedure during boondocking as follows. We get up at sunrise or earlier. We start the generator and make a full pot. We pour a cup for each of us and consume that. That gets us to the point where we can be functional. (Which begs the question: How do people wake up without coffee?) We'll refill the cups, put them in the pilot and copilot cupholders, and pour whatever is left into an insulated thermos. Then start driving down the road. Odds are after another 90 minutes or so, we'll stop and make a second pot. One is just not enough.  ;D    The second pot is usually the breakfast. Normally have microwavable breakfast foods, fruit, or cereal so that we can be reasonably quick.

We've never had any issues with the pot sliding around, but then I'm usually thinking about making extra smooth turns, starts, and stops if I know the coffee pot is on with liquid in it.

I bring 3 coffee makers.
- drip style electric coffee maker, needs 120V
- stove top percolator (requires stove)
- French press (requires hot water)

Used to bring a hand crank coffee mill/grinder, but got tired of the effort.  I now buy ground coffee for camping.

Edit to add:  Just noticed you meant while on the road.  Might be easier to make it before leaving and put it in a thermos.  Or like my drip coffee maker with a stainless steel thermos carafe.  Keeps the coffee warm, not sure how long, but it's longer than the time it takes us to empty it.

Regular old B&D drip. Make it all the time going down the road. Never a spill even during some drastic braking moves.

oldwasichu said:
One is just not enough.  ;D    The second pot is usually the breakfast.
My kind o people ! ;)

I have very little tollerance for people who do not like need coffee in the morning. We use a Bunn pod brewer. Takes a lot of power but is just so convenient. Kinda hard to fire up the generator in a Walmart, so we also carry a stainless steel 10 cup perc which gets us moving. We also load up the thermal mugs prior to moving off.  Will occasionally stop at a MacDonalds or Flying J, when possible, for a transfusion later in the day.

Dave

wannabfree said:
My kind o people ! ;)

I have very little tollerance for people who do not like need coffee in the morning.
I have no problem with these people as long as they do not interfere with my coffee.

Yep, I'm in the "don't talk to me until I've had my coffee" group.  A Mr. Coffee drip for when we have shore power, and a boil the water on a stove top and pour it through the drip filter when we dry camp.  A good thermos keeps it toasty for when it's done.  Yep, we grind it fresh every morning.  And I DENY that I am addicted to coffee!!  ;D ;D

I found a 60's traveling coffee pot set at a flea market.  It is set up to use both 120 and 12v accessory (cigarette lighter for us oldies).  It is a percolator style, came with both cords, 2 cups, sugar and coffee containers, coffee measuring scoop and best of all....a bracket to mount to the dashboard or some other spot in the vehicle so the pot stays put, nice and safe!  All this was contained in its original carrying case.  I use it to heat water since I drink a lot of hot tea and DH generally only has 1 cup of coffee in the a.m.  I think I paid about $2 and it is a lovely shade of green  ;)

A day on the road cannot start without coffee. We make a pot on the stove then put what's left in a thermos. If none left she makes a second while I am breaking camp. Our truck has a well designed tray that holds the big travel mugs, thanks Chrysler. ;D

If I don't get my morning coffee, you don't want to be around me. I use an automatic timer so the coffee is ready when I get up, if its not ready, seems my whole day is shot.

We use a Keurig Mini in the RV and one of the larger ones at home (see link below). Best coffee I have ever had. It takes about 3 minutes to make a large cup of coffee, I run it on the inverter so it consumes about 6 amps total. We also keep a French Press for emergencies.

http://www.keurig.com/brewers/mini-plus-personal-brewing-system

Jay T

JayT said:
We use a Keurig Mini in the RV and one of the larger ones at home (see link below). Best coffee I have ever had. It takes about 3 minutes to make a large cup of coffee, I run it on the inverter so it consumes about 6 amps total. We also keep a French Press for emergencies.

http://www.keurig.com/brewers/mini-plus-personal-brewing-system

Jay T
X's 2.  Best coffee I have ever had and we get to choose which flavor we like.  Recommend Newman's Own Extra Bold and Carribou for a full flavored bold coffee.  Wife like Donut Shop for a milder breakfast blend.  Best of all it fits in the sink and from cold start to first cup is about 3 minutes.  After the water heats up the next cup is 30 seconds away.  No cleanup, just take out the pod and toss it and there is no waste from a leftover pot.  Average cup cost is 45 -50 cents.  Best price is at Sam's club box of 80 Carribou is around $38.  Best place to purchase (IMO) is Bed, Bath and Beyond using the 20% off coupon.  If you ever are not satisfied, they will take it back no questions asked. 

DW is not a coffee drinker.  We started out (RVing) with a 12 cup Mr. Coffee.  I found that I was throwing away half a pot every morning so we went to the 6 cup Mr. Coffee.  It makes good coffee, but not enough.  Seems to be about one cup short of just enough.  In both cases they start automatically every morning so that I have coffee waiting when I crawl out of bed.  The coffee maker is velcroed to the counter top and the pot has never came out in travel. 

Once a year a buddy & I travel the west doing photography and leave the DWs at home.  On these trips we pull a pop-up and generally are without electricity.  For that I have a Coleman drip coffee maker (a gas stove version of a Mr. coffee) that sets on the stove.  Problem is it doesn't keep the coffee hot after it is brewed. 

When we dont run the Gen we use a french press and heat the required water on the stove.  When we have power we use a Mr. Coffee.

There are several ways to make coffee on the road.. You can quickly heat water using a "HOT POT" or even a 12 volt Hot Pot and use a French Press to quickly make coffee, the "hot Pot" will sit in the small side of the sink and if you put a couple other things in there it will be secure.

I use a 1-cup coffee maker, it too fits in the sink or at least well enough to not slide about.

Or, what I usually do on the road, is buy a 24 oz when I stop for fuel.

There are coffee makers designed specificlly for 12 volt use.. Some of them anchor fairly well.  but basically.. Put it in the sink, that way if it spills.. Easy clean up.

Back
Top Bottom