Veterans, "Military Service Records" NOT THE VA"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I believe Cabela's
When they first opened up near Reno (very close to the CA boarder on I-80, for obvious reasons, IMO) Cabela's would let us group together all of their many discounts, even on firearms. I purchased a Colt SP-1 rifle there for about half the normal price because of all the discounts I was able to group together including for having the Black Cabala's Visa card at the time. I did a lot of business with them.

Then a few years later, I hear Cabela's was purchased by Bass Pro Shops. I was at the counter with 3K$ worth of stuff. I then discovered they no longer have any discounts, not even the vet discount on firearms. I cancelled the entire order and I have not been back since. And I no longer qualify for their black card (required to spend 25K$ in a year) but since then Capital bought out their Visa card so things there have also changed.

I was told by the employee at the checkout that they have already lost many firearm transactions over no longer having the vet discount, including mine. The employees felt they were getting the shaft also, in many ways when they were bought out by Bass Pro. They probably also lost many other customers. I have not been back since then, so I have no idea how they stand now with their vet discounts on firearms and other stuff.

-Don- Auburn, CA

In 1959 I signed up for the Air force and navy and went home to wait and see who got me first..>>>Dan ( my Mom stepped in and made sure it was USAF,, she knew I wanted USAF)

The simple answer to that question is the strip upside down means it "FLOATS" Army dose, not Float. The military hand salute came from the Knights, lifting their visors head face shields, also performed with the storm arm while on horseback meeting another unknown Knight is the forest. I don't say anything as it's a form or respect. But the BLACK which is DARK NAVY BLUE, worn over the shield is to inform others one of their own has fallen. It should be level and not at a 45 degrees as that means "DEFENCE". But as that is old history, and most still don't know why they wear a shield and the meaning.
What floats in the Air Force?

I believe Cabela's/Bass Pro just recently upped theirs from 5% to 10%. Home Depot and Lowes are 10%. That 10% saves me a fortune over a year. I've never had to furnish a DD-214 at any of them though, just my VA ID card.
Cabela's has always been 10% for most items. Guns and ammo are 5%. Once you are in their db it usually comes up on the checkout. Lowes and HD require a tel. number verification. Nice thing about Cabela's is you can use your points and military discount together. If you've saved up a bunch of points and are buying a high dollar item you can save some good money.

When they first opened up near Reno (very close to the CA boarder on I-80, for obvious reasons, IMO) Cabela's would let us group together all of their many discounts, even on firearms. I purchased a Colt SP-1 rifle there for about half the normal price because of all the discounts I was able to group together including for having the Black Cabala's Visa card at the time. I did a lot of business with them.

Then a few years later, I hear Cabela's was purchased by Bass Pro Shops. I was at the counter with 3K$ worth of stuff. I then discovered they no longer have any discounts, not even the vet discount on firearms. I cancelled the entire order and I have not been back since. And I no longer qualify for their black card (required to spend 25K$ in a year) but since then Capital bought out their Visa card so things there have also changed.

I was told by the employee at the checkout that they have already lost many firearm transactions over no longer having the vet discount, including mine. The employees felt they were getting the shaft also, in many ways when they were bought out by Bass Pro. They probably also lost many other customers. I have not been back since then, so I have no idea how they stand now with their vet discounts on firearms and other stuff.

-Don- Auburn, CA
Both Cabela's and Bass Pro offer the military discounts here. Must be a California thing.

-Don- Auburn, CA

They still have the discounts.

Cabela's lost a lot of sales from me after they became Bass Pro a few years back- they really cut their inventory of muzzleloading stuff so I had to find another source. Now, on the rare occasion that I go there, I almost never can find what I'm looking for, muzzleloading or not. They really went downhill from my perspective.

They still have the discounts.
Yeah, I see they now have a 5% vet discount on firearms. I am not surprised they changed back, but I wonder how many customers they lost then and never went back since.

They probably jacked their prices by 10% when they started to give the 5% discount . . . . .

-Don- Auburn, CA

Both Cabela's and Bass Pro offer the military discounts here. Must be a California thing.
The only Cabela's I've ever been to was the one in NV. 2.6 miles from the CA boarder.

When I was buying firearms there, I had one rule. It had to be illegal in CA or else I didn't want it! :)

But to be kept at my Reno, NV home, of course. I have several bolted down gun safes there, which I can keep an eye on from here (or anywhere) on my ten internet security cameras there.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Coincidentally, I just made a $150 online order from Cabela's yesterday. They gave me 10% off, which was a bit more than the tax I was charged so I was ahead by $0.50.

Here it's 15% for all veterans that apply, and 10% more for combat veterans.
When you say 10% more, does that mean a total discount of 16.5%?

I kinda doubt if it's 25%!

How is "combat vet" defined there? Does it mean army 11B's like I was, or does it include everybody who was in a war zone?

Everybody in Vietnam got an extra 65 bucks per month extra "combat pay" back in 1969. Added to their $13.00 of "overseas pay".

IIRC, I cleared $330.00 per month total back then as a Spec 4, 11B.

But even those who never saw any combat in Vietnam, still got "combat pay".

-Don- Auburn, CA

How is "combat vet" defined there? Does it mean army 11B's like I was, or does it include everybody who was in a war zone?

Everybody in Vietnam got an extra 65 bucks per month extra "combat pay" back in 1969. Added to their $13.00 of "overseas pay".

-Don- Auburn, CA
Try going into combat without support, if you're in a combat zone, you're combat, doesn't matter whether you're a cook, clerk, hospital orderly, or grunt (11B). BTW, even combat arms mos's consisted of more than 11B. Where would you have been without Mortars (11C), Medics, Armor, Armored Reconaissance (11D), Huey Crews and pilots, Artillery, Tac Air, etc.?

Last edited:
Try going into combat without support, if you're in a combat zone, you're combat, doesn't matter whether you're a cook, clerk, hospital orderly, or grunt.
That is what I assumed. And yeah, we were told the entire army's only purpose was the infantry and all other MOSs (military jobs) existed only to support the infantry. But that would even include a stateside cook far from any combat.

-Don- Auburn, CA

-Don- Auburn, CA
It's 25% for combat vets... I also received combat pay in 1962-1965 while in Vietnam, plus hazardous duty incentive pay during my second and third tours. My MOS was 0009 (Special Assignment). My Vietnam service was listed on the DD-214 that I submitted to the town assessor.

Well, this is an outfit that supplies services and equipment to the military and three letter agencies, and it looks like I may end up needing a clearance here soon so I trust them no less than anyone else I gave it to while active duty (had a top secret there too). The DMV guy only requested to look at it and it was returned to me never leaving my sight. I suspect military service is something that is likely verifiable via public records so disclosing some of the info on a DD214 doesn't directly compromise your identity but I do hold the original in a secure place. But I can remember a day the IRS sent you 1040 forms in the US mail with your SSN on the address label. After that, it's my guess a security breach at amazon or yahoo, or buying a happy meal at the drive through with a credit card will be more of an identity risk than someone seeing my 214.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
I posted the information as it was helpful to me, and I thought others would like to see what they may have missed, as I learned that I did miss out on receiving, 3 awards, what was written about me, and learning what the codes on page 2, filled in by Admin. which I did not get a time of discharge, only the cover page 1 of the DD-214. But I was very reluctant. I learned and found out more and got more in return. But like you, I do not like it, myself when anyone asks for my DD-214 unless they are the U.S. Government. Even my own Florida DMV. I put the information out there for anyone wanting to obtain their military service records, not so others could get them discounts, but if that's it what it means to them so be it. Not my thing.

It's 25% for combat vets... I also received combat pay in 1962-1965 while in Vietnam, plus hazardous duty incentive pay during my second and third tours. My MOS was 0009 (Special Assignment). My Vietnam service was listed on the DD-214 that I submitted to the town assessor.
I was wondering why my percentage was so high. Thanks, I did not know about what you wrote. Thanks for the insight.

It's 25% for combat vets.
That is the very highest vet discount I ever heard of.

BTW, they give a 10% Vet discount at Safari's RV parts in Reno. But I think most of their prices are around 20% higher to begin with. :) But OTOH, they sometime have stuff in stock that nobody else does.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom