Veterans, "Military Service Records" NOT THE VA"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cabela's lost a lot of sales from me after they became Bass Pro a few years back- they really cut their inventory of muzzleloading stuff so I had to find another source. Now, on the rare occasion that I go there, I almost never can find what I'm looking for, muzzleloading or not. They really went downhill from my perspective.
BPS said that after the merger, that both BSP and Cabela's would keep their separate identities, sales and pricing policies... I thought to my self, what a bunch of BS they were spreading... Cabela's had some great sales and pricing on some items, but about the only sales BPS had was on their own labeled items... Now both have exactly the same pricing, sales and products... I don't know why they keep the name "Cabela's" even going... Just call it all BPS... Was I against this merger?... You bet... Most mergers don't benefit the consumer, just the corporations.. Competition is the consumer's best friend...
Butch

Here it's 15% for all veterans that apply, and 10% more for combat veterans.
That is the very highest vet discount I ever heard of.

BTW, they give a 10% Vet discount at Safari's RV parts in Reno. But I think most of their prices are around 20% higher to begin with. :) But OTOH, they sometime have stuff in stock that nobody else does.

-Don- Auburn, CA
I have never had any store/vendor ask me if I was a combat veteran, or offer a higher discount as such. There would be no way for me to prove it anyway. The only DD-214 I received was when I was initially released from Active Duty in 1983, and I had no combat experience at that time.

However, as a Reservist I was mobilized back to Active Duty for both Desert Storm and right after 9-1-1 and both times ended up in the sandbox. Both times when I was released from Active Duty back to Reserve status all I got was a form that was basically just called "Authorization for Release from Active Duty", and a separating evaluation from my command. When I retired from the Reserves in 2005 all I received was a form called "Retirement Order and Transfer Authorization to Retired Reserve Status".

So I have nothing other than pictures and a couple evals saying where I was.

I have never had any store/vendor ask me if I was a combat veteran, or offer a higher discount as such. There would be no way for me to prove it anyway. The only DD-214 I received was when I was initially released from Active Duty in 1983, and I had no combat experience at that time.

However, as a Reservist I was mobilized back to Active Duty for both Desert Storm and right after 9-1-1 and both times ended up in the sandbox. Both times when I was released from Active Duty back to Reserve status all I got was a form that was basically just called "Authorization for Release from Active Duty", and a separating evaluation from my command. When I retired from the Reserves in 2005 all I received was a form called "Retirement Order and Transfer Authorization to Retired Reserve Status".

I was never asked either, but it would be easy for me to prove in several ways, including the info. on my DD214. Even my CIB (Combat Infantryman Badge) is listed there, as well as many other things that prove Vietnam and infantry during the war.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Maybe you could get more of you military history from one of those sites that Dusty Traveler posted….
Butch

My last DD-214 shows that I re-enlisted in Vietnam.

I don't know why they keep the name "Cabela's" even going... Just call it all BPS... Was I against this merger?... You bet...
It wasn't a merger in reality as Bass Pro bought out the remaining members of the Cabella family. Both of the founding brothers had been dead for quite a long time and few family members were still involved in the business. When they moved all of the management from Sidney, NE the entire community was injured. It had been the largest employer in Cheyenne County, NE.

Maybe you could get more of you military history from one of those sites that Dusty Traveler posted….
Butch
Won't help. The year after I retired I requested a complete copy of my service record on CD and looked through it carefully. Nothing in there that absolutely points to anything proving where I was. I do have a copy of every set of orders I was ever issued, and I have some that say "Camp Arifjan, Kuwait", but that was only where I was processed through. The following week I was flown across the border into Iraq. But those orders are only copies of the originals I was issued here, there is nothing stamped on them saying I actually showed up over there.

Meh, no matter. I know where I was and I seldom seek a military discount on much of what I buy anyway. And I certainly don't do it for anything less than $100. The stores are nice enough to offer it, I'm not going to nickle and dime them for $5.

Last edited:
I was a few months into my second tour when my enlistment was up. The re-enlistment bonus I was offered by both the Army and the TLA I was TDY to were too much to resist.
My first reenlistment I chose 6 years. There was a $10,000 bonus for that, but only a $6000 bonus for 4 years. I figured I was probably going to stick it out for a career anyway. Apparently, the Navy really needed to keep those with my rank and rating (job) because there was no bonus for any other rank in my specialty at the time.

I know what what TDY means (in the Navy we call it TAD, Temporary Assigned Duty) but what's a TLA?

Back
Top Bottom