Volvo announces the end of its diesel program for 2024.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They probably aren't very good at math, ev's will never sell.
Well, Volvos prime markets are Europe and Asia. The tail pipe market is getting pretty small pretty fast there. If they want to have something to sell by the end of the decade they need to point where the market is going.

Jmho

I'm not surprised Volvo is going "all in" on EV's. Their joint venture with Geely and creation of the all-electric Polestar brand has been a success. Makes me wonder what will happen to the Polestar brand, actually, if it will live on, or if Volvo will be selling competing vehicles.

I'm not surprised Volvo is going "all in" on EV's. Their joint venture with Geely and creation of the all-electric Polestar brand has been a success. Makes me wonder what will happen to the Polestar brand, actually, if it will live on, or if Volvo will be selling competing vehicles.
They're going big into driverless truck tech too. 60 min. did a segment on Volvo's driverless veh division, it was sci fi.

It isn't surprising Europe is going EV. Their countries are smaller than some of our states. Range isn't important if you don't have far to go.

View attachment 167694
Guess you are unaware that there is a lot of trucks that cross into several countries every day. Just the other day I was reading of a driver that picked up a new gig from Finland to Italy, didn't say where but that is going to be more than a day trip.

Also the article also doesn't say anything about trucks, cars only.

Their truck segment pushing for zero-emissions by 2050.
"Volvo Trucks President Roger Alm opened up the press briefings with an overview of the company’s Three-Pillar Plan to push larger numbers of zero-emissions trucks into the global marketplace over the next three decades.

That plan, which includes battery-electric trucks, hydrogen fuel cell trucks, and internal combustion engines running clean/renewable fuels..." Volvo Details Net-Zero Technology Pathways Forward

Last edited:
One has to wonder how much of this commercial EV enthusiasm is being driven by legislation. Not that it's always a bad thing, legislation brought us improved vehicle crashworthiness, seat belts, fuel injection and variable valve timing. EV's have such a narrow range of cost advantage though, i.e. everything has to be just right and for a extended period to break even or have an advantage, otherwise you're upside down. But throw in mitigating influences like a carbon taxes, green incentives, subsidies and other "artificial" conditions and I'm thinking these, and not core EV advantages are what's driving the industry to switch. EV's aren't really "better" but the fossil fuel solutions become too miserable to tolerate. Because the economics of it are so veiled and imponderable I don't think much weight is being given to the actual cost impacts, but I don't think it's a stretch to say it will only cost more, buried into the overhead of daily life in the forms of food, goods and services. It might be argued the fossil fuels offer the same degree of future uncertainty and 2nd/3rd order effects but it does have the benefit of historical trends and data. I think the key enabler to EV's is a battery that doesn't rely on rare materials or toxic processes. With that in place, the rest of it amounts to power generation and distribution which are well characterized. Maybe lithium only needs to be a temporary bridge between today and the holy grail simple/inert battery of the future.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

One has to wonder how much of this commercial EV enthusiasm is being driven by legislation. Not that it's always a bad thing, legislation brought us improved vehicle crashworthiness, seat belts, fuel injection and variable valve timing. EV's have such a narrow range of cost advantage though, i.e. everything has to be just right and for a extended period to break even or have an advantage, otherwise you're upside down. But throw in mitigating influences like a carbon taxes, green incentives, subsidies and other "artificial" conditions and I'm thinking these, and not core EV advantages are what's driving the industry to switch. EV's aren't really "better" but the fossil fuel solutions become too miserable to tolerate. Because the economics of it are so veiled and imponderable I don't think much weight is being given to the actual cost impacts, but I don't think it's a stretch to say it will only cost more, buried into the overhead of daily life in the forms of food, goods and services. It might be argued the fossil fuels offer the same degree of future uncertainty and 2nd/3rd order effects but it does have the benefit of historical trends and data. I think the key enabler to EV's is a battery that doesn't rely on rare materials or toxic processes. With that in place, the rest of it amounts to power generation and distribution which are well characterized. Maybe lithium only needs to be a temporary bridge between today and the holy grail simple/inert battery of the future.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
A lot of the EV enthusiasm in general is driven by legislation and inflated gas prices.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Hard to say. I think the biggest thing that makes people by an EV is the test drive. For many it’s over after that. Very enlightening experience.

That and the ability to “fill up” at home.

The first year we drove an EV we also had a gas grand Cherokee. Then winter hit and we were fighting over who got to use the EV. Before the next winter we had our second EV. Problem solved. 😂. Up here that happens in a lot of households. 😊. People dip their tows in with one EV in the household. By the following winter there are quite often two. 😊

Guess you are unaware that there is a lot of trucks that cross into several countries every day. Just the other day I was reading of a driver that picked up a new gig from Finland to Italy, didn't say where but that is going to be more than a day trip.
It's 1400 miles pretty much completely across the European continent from Paris to Bucharest. That isn't even half the distance from San Francisco to Miami. People from Europe are amazed that it takes 12 hours just to drive across the state of Texas, or that you can cross the CA/OR border heading south and 800 miles and 12 hours later you're still in CA and just arriving in San Diego.

I know several folks who emigrated from Europe and they all said the same thing: "There is so much space in the US with nothing in it, and the only way to get to most of it is to drive or fly because there is no public transportation outside of the major cities." Over there, everyone takes the train for any trip more than across town.

Filling up at home didn't seem like a big deal until you go back to driving a gas car again and have to make a detour in your daily routine to fill up. After that I didn't see any decided advantage to having an EV. Proponents will tout maintenance and repair of ICE's but with decades of owning ICE cars and trucks behind me, and the relative infrequent nature of those events I wouldn't consider the lack of them a deciding factor but I can see with most folks these days taking their cars to the dealer for everything, it might be a selling point. When EV's reach a relative cost parity with ICE (which for some classes of cars already exists) then the subtleties of ownership and use can be more distinctive. Something tells me though that crossover period will be brief as ICE is legislated or socially cast from society and EV's become the only option, then it doesn't matter if you like it or not.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

We were driving between Grand Junction and Reno a lot until a few years ago. The 749 mile route includes just one town that's above 4,000 in population. Ely, Nevada at 4,002 people. It doesn't even go through Delta, Utah. We carried extra gasoline due to this route got the title of the Loniest Road in America. I have my doubts that EV charging will make headway out there. There's no infrastructure and there's nobody to service it even if there was. It would just get covered in snow in winter.
Screenshot_20230921-125129_Maps.jpg

Last edited:
We were driving between Grand Junction and Reno a lot until a few years ago. The 749 mile route includes just one town that's above 4,000 in population. Ely, Nevada at 4,002 people. It doesn't even go through Delta, Nevada. We carried extra gasoline due to this route got the title of the Loniest Road in America. I have my doubts that EV charging will make headway out there. There's no infrastructure and there's nobody to service it even if there was. It would just get covered in snow in winter.
View attachment 167699
Depends on the route I guess. But hwy 50 is well populated with DC fast charging infrastructure between those two cities. And lots of L2 facilities as well although L2 is not something one would use on a road trip.

We were driving between Grand Junction and Reno a lot until a few years ago. The 749 mile route includes just one town that's above 4,000 in population. Ely, Nevada at 4,002 people. It doesn't even go through Delta, Utah. We carried extra gasoline due to this route got the title of the Loniest Road in America. I have my doubts that EV charging will make headway out there. There's no infrastructure and there's nobody to service it even if there was. It would just get covered in snow in winter.
View attachment 167699
Have you not heard them tell us they are working on it and will have it under control in no time. Please try to pay better attention...

Coincidently I talked with the Amazon delivery guy today who was driving an EV Truck, he said he loves it and if he had to he could run two days on a charge.

Have you not heard them tell us they are working on it and will have it under control in no time. Please try to pay better attention...
That route is already under control. Lots of charging infrastructure on that route from what I can see in the app.

I did notice that Ely was down for Maintenance at the moment.

Then you must haven't had heard like me that there's lot of charging infrastructure way out in the middle of the Nevada desert. In fact we were out in Lund, Nevada just 3 weeks ago filling up. Now that I think about it, that town must be epicenter for EV charging.

That route is already under control. Lots of charging infrastructure on that route from what I can see in the app.

I did notice that Ely was down for Maintenance at the moment.
Ely, Nevada is it for any infrastructure out there for EV charging. There's no other choice around Ely for many miles. If it's down, one will just have to wait.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom