Volvo announces the end of its diesel program for 2024.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ely, Nevada is it for any infrastructure out there for EV charging. There's no other choice around Ely for many miles. If it's down, one will just have to wait.
I don’t know. There are half a dozen other fast chargers opportunities within 50 to 100 miles in various directions from there. I would add though when we travel in places like that we tend to operate on the top half of the battery just in case we get to a station and it’s offline but doesn’t indicate it on the app. Especially in winter. It’s happened to us once or twice. We are extra cautious when towing our trailer.

There are a bunch of L2 opportunities in that area as well but we don’t usually build those into the plan unless we are camping at one of them.

I would be extremely careful with vehicle range in this remote region of the Great Basin. We fill up in Baker, Nevada when towing in both the town and at the Highway 50 Stateline whether heading to or from Delta or Beaver, Utah. There's no services for around 100 miles to either. I looked at the location of the EV charging in Baker. It looks like it's placed in the back end of the lot of a RV park.
Screenshot_20230921-171207_Maps.jpg

It's 1400 miles pretty much completely across the European continent from Paris to Bucharest. That isn't even half the distance from San Francisco to Miami. People from Europe are amazed that it takes 12 hours just to drive across the state of Texas, or that you can cross the CA/OR border heading south and 800 miles and 12 hours later you're still in CA and just arriving in San Diego.

I know several folks who emigrated from Europe and they all said the same thing: "There is so much space in the US with nothing in it, and the only way to get to most of it is to drive or fly because there is no public transportation outside of the major cities." Over there, everyone takes the train for any trip more than across town.

we would be traveling by train too if the federal government hadn't sacked the industry 50 years ago. Now most RR spur lines are walking paths.
As long as the RR industry was building strong, the U.S.A. was strong; as the RR industry declined so did the nation.
That's my opinion and I'm sticking with it.

I would be extremely careful with vehicle range in this remote region of the Great Basin. We fill up in Baker, Nevada when towing in both the town and at the Highway 50 Stateline whether heading to or from Delta or Beaver, Utah. There's no services for around 100 miles to either. I looked at the location of the EV charging in Baker. It looks like it's placed in the back end of the lot of a RV park.
View attachment 167711
I think you are right. Looks like a motel and RV park.

The first time we drove across Canada, when we got to the scarcely populated areas like northern Ontario etc we made a point of charging more often than we needed. We would normally charge every 3 or 4 hours or so as that’s when my bladder would definitely need a break. But in scarcely populated areas we would stop every couple hours and charged. The charge stops were much shorter but more frequent. We never had a bad situation but you never know.

Even here in BC we do that in winter. You never know what to expect, plowed in charger etc, so might as well have the option of driving on by and going to the next charge opportunity. It doesn’t really make the trip longer as the charge stop is quicker, but we drink more coffee…which causes a whole other problem. 😂

Here is a pic of the baker charger.

FD886DB3-1DB4-49E8-B071-603D6A1F9C99.jpeg

Last edited:
There's a piece of paper taped onto the screen of both chargers. If it was a gas pump it wouldn't be a good sign. Out of gas!
I hear ya. I read the comments from the last check in a couple days ago and apparently there is a card reader problem so it needs to be manually started by shell. (Phone call). I’m not a fan of shell chargers. The RFID cards work ok but the shell app tends to suck unless cell service is good. That’s why we have 9 RFID cards in a special wallet in the centre compartment. 9 different charge companies. Ugh. An RFID card will always start the charge but the majority of people never bother to send away for them and just rely on the app. Unfortunately the app requires cell service. 😂

We are spoiled by tesla superchargers. Back in, hook up, head for coffee. NEVER had a supercharger failure anywhere and we have travelled all over Canada and some of the US.

Baker, Nevada has some cellphone service, but it's really sketchy. I was looking for a large size travel trailer tire in Load Range E. I made contact with Big O Tire in Beaver, Utah, but a Load Range G. My next call was to Delta, Utah from Baker. Right in the middle of the call I lost connection. Tried to reconnect, but couldn't. Guess we're heading to Beaver. Baker, Nevada has a population of 36. It's the largest town near Great Basin National Park. You be lucky if the EV chargers get maintained often. There's no attendant anywhere near the gas pumps either.

When the U.S. started the switch over from horses to ICE vehicles, there were similar problems with lack of infrastructure. Many horse and buggy/wagon owners were very skeptical and resistant to the new technologies. Some communities passed laws limiting horseless carriages. Some thought it was a passing fad and could never become the main mode of transportation and commerce. But, no matter how strong their beliefs against and dislike of ICE vehicles, it still happened.

We do fill up at the Utah-Nevada Stateline at Border Inn on US 50 when towing. Nevada put two electric chargers with the existing infrastructure out there recently near the Border Inn sign in the photo. We pay the much higher price per gallon versus Ely, Nevada at Border Inn when towing. I don't like running at or near empty going across. Glad to see that there's chargers too versus those that might be within a RV park in Baker, Nevada some 7 to 8 miles away. Border Inn is the only services for 152 miles between Delta, Utah and Ely, Nevada on US 50.
Screenshot_20230921-205545_Maps.jpg

Even the UK has pushed back the date they want everything electric because the lame brains in charge have finally realised we don't have the infra-structure to support their dumb ideas.
That's why automobiles never caught on as well, the lame brains didn't realize there were no gas stations to support their dumb idea.

That's why automobiles never caught on as well, the lame brains didn't realize there were no gas stations to support their dumb idea.
It's not the lack of charging stations, although there are more around London than the rest of the whole country.
It's the lack of power distribution to guarantee existing essential needs before worrying about running heat pumps and electric cars.

Coincidently I talked with the Amazon delivery guy today who was driving an EV Truck, he said he loves it and if he had to he could run two days on a charge.
Two days on a charge, or 5 days on a tank of gas. :unsure:

A little more than a year ago my sister bought a 4xe Jeep Wrangler. I wasn't sold on it personally, but it's also not my vehicle. It is working out really well even with ~20 miles of EV-only range. She uses EV-only mode so much that the Jeep has to activate the engine periodically in what is called "Fuel and Oil refresh mode" per the owners manual. Basically exercising the gas engine and running fuel through the system so it doesn't go stale.

The EV mode absorbs all of her commuting for work and short runs to the store. She plugs it in every night to a standard 110/120v household outlet.

The 4xe is now the best selling Hybrid in the US.

Ely, Nevada is it for any infrastructure out there for EV charging. There's no other choice around Ely for many miles. If it's down, one will just have to wait.
The CCS DC fast charger is down in Ely. Tesla will need an adapter to use it if it were working. But there are plenty of slow AC charging stations in Ely, that can help get you to the next fast charger. But they only charge at around 40 miles added in an hour in a car. On Zero DSR/x electric motorcycle, I gain about a mile (1.6km) range per minute of charge on those.

IMO, the biggest issue with CCS charging is when they break, they are usually left that way and stay broken. OTOH, Tesla Super Chargers are very well maintained, but they are lacking on Hwy 50 in NV, where they have more CCS.

My Chevy Bolt would be best on Hwy 50, Tesla would be best on I-80. But either route will work with either with the correct adapters, etc.

I would like to say it will get better, but I could go more places three years ago on my smaller Energica motorcycle than I can today. Too many of the CCS chargers are down today that worked 3 years ago.

But my newer Energica has enough range to skip over those broken CCS chargers.

-Don- Reno, NV

Range isn't important if you don't have far to go.
Range is not important if there are enough places to recharge on the way. But usually cheaper to charge at home--but not always. A lot of my charging is for free when on the road. Even some fast DC chargers are free to use such as here. Paid for by the city of Garnerville, NV.

-Don- Reno, NV

Range is not important if there are enough places to recharge on the way. But usually cheaper to charge at home--but not always. A lot of my charging is for free when on the road. Even some fast DC chargers are free to use such as here. Paid for by the city of Garnerville, NV.

-Don- Reno, NV
Range is important to people with someplace to be and limited time to get there. A lot of my trips only allow time to grab a burger while filling up then eat while driving.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom