Volvo announces the end of its diesel program for 2024.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They're fast
Any EV these days is quite fast. Even some that don't seem fast at first drive. For an example, by accident, I discovered my Chevy Bolt has a Sport Mode.

I was reaching for something in the glove box when my elbow accidently hit a button and then the screen said "Sport Mode Initialized". I didn't even realize I had a sport mode until then.

Someday, I will have to read my owner's manual and find the other features I didn't know it had. :)

-Don- Auburn, CA

I also have concerns on resale value because of the replacement costs of batteries.
Don't resell. Just keep vehicles until they are worthless, like I do. Then junk them.

Will never have seller's regret that way. I am sure glad I never sold my 1971 BMW R75/5 which I still use these days.

EV battery failures are rather rare, other than during the warranty period, because of a defect. And most EVs have a much longer battery warranty than the rest of the vehicle. My 2018 Tesla battery is still in warranty, but the rest of the car is not.

Try to get that type of warranty on an ICE engine.

What does happen, is reduced range after the battery ages a lot. But it usually isn't all that much and only means you have to charge it a little more often. It will charge to full faster as the KWHs drop, in most cases. Not that big of a deal, to most people.

-Don- Reno, NV

Any EV these days is quite fast. Even some that don't seem fast at first drive. For an example, by accident, I discovered my Chevy Bolt has a Sport Mode.

I was reaching for something in the glove box when my elbow accidently hit a button and then the screen said "Sport Mode Initialized". I didn't even realize I had a sport mode until then.

Someday, I will have to read my owner's manual and find the other features I didn't know it had. :)

-Don- Auburn, CA
My Outback has a bank of buttons with symbols on them which I have yet to decypher, I think they're in Egyptian. Anyway, one of them when engaged only allows the rear lift gate to come open about 12". I have yet to figure out why anyone would want their lift gate to only open 12" . Someday I may too read the owners manual.

Don't resell. Just keep vehicles until they are worthless, like I do. Then junk them.

Will never have seller's regret that way. I am sure glad I never sold my 1971 BMW R75/5 which I still use these days.

EV battery failures are rather rare, other than during the warranty period, because of a defect. And most EVs have a much longer battery warranty than the rest of the vehicle. My 2018 Tesla battery is still in warranty, but the rest of the car is not.

Try to get that type of warranty on an ICE engine.

What does happen, is reduced range after the battery ages a lot. But it usually isn't all that much and only means you have to charge it a little more often. It will charge to full faster as the KWHs drop, in most cases. Not that big of a deal, to most people.

-Don- Reno, NV
Not something I want to do. Great for you if you choose to but I don't want to.

-Don- Auburn, CA

The advertised 0-60 time for a Bolt in Sport mode is 6.5 seconds. While that’s good, I think GM could have given enthusiasts a little more ;)

I remember a guy in a Volt tried to be fast while I was driving my old 2.8 diesel pickup. It was glacially slow. From a dig at a stoplight, the pickup still wheezed past him. Don’t get me wrong, I liked the Volt, but “omg EV torque” isn’t so amazing when it’s scaled down.

The i4 xdrive40’s advertised 0-60 at 4.8 is quick but not fast by performance EV standards, and not even by modern V8 standards. For reference, a 1998-2002 LS1 V8 Chevy Camaro does 0-60 in about 5.2. A modern Camaro will do it in 4 flat.

The advertised 0-60 time for a Bolt in Sport mode is 6.5 seconds. While that’s good, I think GM could have given enthusiasts a little more
I never felt it was needed. I don't use the sport mode in any of my EVs.

But my Tesla AWD will be faster, of course, as it has two motors, unlike my Chevy Bolt.

Don’t get me wrong, I liked the Volt, but “omg EV torque” isn’t so amazing when it’s scaled down.
That's a hybrid. Can you tell when the gas engine kicks in? I have never even driven a hybrid. BEVs work well enough for me.

-Don- Auburn, CA

I never felt it was needed. I don't use the sport mode in any of my EVs.

But my Tesla AWD will be faster, of course, as it has two motors, unlike my Chevy Bolt.

That's a hybrid. Can you tell when the gas engine kicks in? I have never even driven a hybrid. BEVs work well enough for me.

-Don- Auburn, CA

The Volt had an ICE generator. The engine didn't directly power the wheels, but it could charge the battery pack while driving, which powered the electric motors. We looked at them when they first came out, but, they weren't for us. Neat idea though and not a bad car at all.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom