Water Pressure Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oregonnativekory

I have a tow behind trailer that I have hooked up to city water with a pressure regulator in line due to high pressure coming from the faucet. When I turn on the shower the pressure is significantly reduced to almost a trickle coming from the shower head. If I flush the toilet the pressure in the shower increases. Any ideas on why this could be happening?

Thank you for any advice or comments.

Sounds like a bad pressure regulator. I had issues with the ones I got from walmart and ended up getting a Valterra A01-1117VP. This is a high flow regulator and works much better. Not cheap but works. About 50 bucks on Amazon.

REgulators:  One is a cylinder about the size of a hose coupling,,, JUnk, serious flow restriction,

Another is like the above but with a usually bright colored plastic or rubber like grip on the female end:  Better but no cigar.

Sur-Flo, this unit is often built into RV's..  This one I give a NINE out of possible 10

Th Valterra Lumpy uses, or a Watts or Zurin unit at least 1/2 inch (Mine are 3/4)

Let me put it this way.. ye old pressure gauge on my brand new Zurin is stuck on 50 psi.. Static, Full flow, Flushing, Showering, Washing Dishes, that needle never even wiggles.  (KEY PHRASE BRAND NEW)  When my Watts was new it acted like that too but alas it is old and has suffered damage which I'm unable to repair at this time.

While I agree that the common regulators are crap, I don't think that a bad regulator could explain the flush of the toilet actually improving shower flow. Easy enough to check, though, by removing the regulator for a test. Unless the incoming pressure is above 80 psi or so, there should be no risk in doing so. Can also try the shower and toilet using the pump & tank instead of city water and see how it works.

Without some further info, it's difficult to make suggestions. Did this problem start when the regulator was added?  Is the shower flow decent when using the pump instead of city source? Has the shower head itself been cleaned and checked for clogging at the internal screen?

I agree Gary more info would be nice. The reason I say the regulator is I was using one that did the same thing. This is just me nuking it out but the the regulators work off a spring load and I figure just turning the shower on did not reduce the pressure enough on the back side to fully lift the seat of the valve and let full flow in. When you kick on another source the pressure reduces enough for the valve to open and allow full flow. I purchased like three of this type and every one did the same thing so I went with a high flow one. Pressure is important but you need flow as well. Seems that type tends to give you pressure regulation but cuts off flow. Would like more info on the other one suggested. Looked at on Amazon and has promise for when the one I have now wears out. I have almost forgot it on the pole twice now would be nice to have it installed.

The only problem with installed vs having it on the pole is that with it installed, the hose between the pole and your RV is still subject to the pole pressure.  Saw one camper with his hose ballooned out at the fitting.  He couldn't understand why since he was using a regulator.  Only problem was that the regulator was on the RV end of the hose.

Bill has a point too. One of the parks I visit (next two weeks in fact) the pressure has been MEASURED at well over 100 PSI.. blew the ends off hoses it did.. With my regulator. 50 PSI in the hose, in the filter, in the RV.. My filter is kind of special though (home made and due for a refill soon). 

Back
Top Bottom