We have a slide leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BCmom

We have had a ton of rain the last few days in NJ...my MH is in storage (no where to park at home...yet).  The storage lot has a slight grade to it, so my MH sits on a slight decline.  I checked on it yesterday to find a puddle in front of the dog house  :(. Opened the dinette slide to find water under the edge of the slide that's just behind the driver's seat.  For the life of me, I can't find where it's coming in. 
Two questions, could it be coming in because the MH is sitting unlevel?
I have slide locks that I have no idea what to do with, could one of these help with the slide seal, which is likely the place the water is coming in?
I'm not terribly upset, as I plan to pull most of the carpet in the future to put down linoleum.
Thx for your help!

Hi JeannieTony, as I am not familiar with your specific unit, all the help I can give you is from my personal experience. I don't believe that any slide is absolutely 100% water proof. One thing that we always do is make sure that the side of the unit with the slide is ever so slightly levelled lower. That way the water will roll away from the trailer wall and gaskets. Wind can still push the rain the opposite way, but there is much less chance of water entering the trailer if it does not pool against the gasket. Hopefully others on the forum can be of more help.
Cam 

You have not said what unit you have. (Hint: open your Profile and put that info in the signature block and thus save typing it in  each time!!) That said, The only time we have had visible water on the floor from a closed slide was after pressure washing by a hired company.

Be aware it is not just a wet carpet to be wary of, but the water does soak through to the plywood and can cause rotting of the floor. I have replaced at least 3 pieces of the underlying plywood adjacent to the slides after removing the carpet and finding the damage that had occurred over the years and was unknown to me prior to starting the carpet removal.

Thx for the replies...I updated my sig :)  hopefully it worked  :-\

Yea, I am concerned about finding wood rot, but will cross that bridge in a few months when I pull the carpet.  You can stand in that spot without feeling 'give', also that area is not high traffic (other than the dogs like to lie there :) )

After finding the carpet puddle, I opened the slide and left it open...we had more rain, but no more water...so the issue is when the slide is closed.  I was hoping someone could comment on slide locks...ie do they work and what is there typical use.  I googled them, but only got sites that sell them.

Thx again :)

Back
Top Bottom